• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shredby4
    350 Buick
    • May 28, 2001

Lifting a 68 Wagoneer

I am going to see a '68 Wag this weekend... I may buy it, but the owner said it's sittin' pretty low. Since I don't want a "phat pimped out G-Wag" I was wondering..."How can I raise it if I get it?" I haven't seen any lift kits listed for it... AAL's? Body lift?
  • illegalFSJ
    304 AMC
    • Jun 03, 2002

BJ's Offroad is working on a lift for the early model wagons and J-trucks, I think.
    You might think about AAL's for a temporary solution - I had AALs on all 4 corners of an old '72 Wagon, and it worked out great! Raised the whole thing about 2 inches and it rode and handled better than it ever had before.
    I'd stay away from body lifts - just seems to me a pretty cheesy way of getting a lift. And it only lifts the body, not the frame.
    "Well, what gears do you have? If you have 2.72s in there still, a blown big block with jesus himself working the gas pedal couldnt get the rear tires to slip." -Mavawreck

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

AAL's will help (a little, for a bit).
      Body lift can add to that.
      Front springs from the newer wags are a bolt in lift.
      For the rear you can use Chevy springs (with the jeep bushings) from a 52" application.
      Or do a simple shackle flip and block to get it level.
      SOA is an option too, lots of info out there on this.
      Several of us have good info on how to do this (me, Stuka, PC, others).
      BJ's Offroad is soon to release a full spring lift for our older post mount rigs.

Here is me...
      4" spring lift up front with Ford rear shackles, Chevy springs, shackles and 2" block in rear (no shackle flip), 2" body lift, 33" tires. Bone stock Dana 27 front and 2 piece 44 rear like you would have (soon to be ejected to dumpster).

Ask away, it can be done for less than the cost of your first born child [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: and some fender cutting too.

[ September 09, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: tadsal ]
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• shredby4
        350 Buick
        • May 28, 2001

thanks for some responses guys,
        I guess I'll do AAL's for now. Maybe still add a 2 inch body lift if I find it cheap enough. Of course, that is providing I buy the darn thing.

I'd only add the body lift so I could clear some decent size tires. For now, I don't think it'll see much offroad time. My Chero' is great offroad and TERRIBLE on road. So I am looking for a CHEAP daily driver...Ya know? I just don't want it to look stupid!

Comment

• shredby4
          350 Buick
          • May 28, 2001

ya know Tad, I just really noticed your bumper... Did you build it?

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

Yeah they are easily liftable. Mine has 5.5" of suspension lift in back, 4" up front (soon to be 6"). It has 33x12.50's with D44's and a detroitin back. It does quite well offroad. Here is a pict of mine:

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

the newer FSJ springs are offset and wont be a direct bolt in on a 68. they are also a bit longer.

an other option is to use a set of wrangler (YJ) springs, cut the 'eyes' of the wrangler springs off, remove all but the main leaf from the 68s springs, and bolt the modified wrangler springs in.

u must at least get springs that are 2.5" wide and 44" long for the front and 52" for the rear. wrangler springs are 2.5" wide.
              Ken's:
              1966 Super Wagoneer
              5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
              (Soon to be TBI)
              "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Stuka
                • Jan 21, 2001

The front springs from a newer FSJ should work, the rears will definately not work.

Comment

• shredby4
                  350 Buick
                  • May 28, 2001

Yeah folks, I know that the older FSJ's have post mount rears and are different from the later models like my Cherokee...

The whole point here was to find a CHEAP way to get the rockers farther from Mother Earth. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I am trying to avoid expensive parts and fabrication for now. So AAL's are what I will do(IF I BUY IT!!!! I still have an '81 Chero' to look at.... and a 91 XJ ...too many Jeeps, not enough CASH!!!!! ). I just wasn't sure if somebody had a lift for these. I know Rustys has 'em for '74 and up, same for Superlift, and Sky Jacker. What I didn't know was if there was an old Chevy,Ford, or something else that seemed to retrofit easily. The junkyard I frequent should have plenty of newer spring packs...afterall, I just scored a nice set for Cherokee a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

well if u havent bought it yet and ur also looking at newer jeeps id pass on the 68. unless its some great NOS condition vehicle. just like our topic here, the lift for it is somthing that must be fabbed by the owner compared to that 81 and the XJ. plus its all drum brakes which is a hassle to convert to discs, and it may have even that AMC 327 v8 which is a bi***h to find parts for.
                    Ken's:
                    1966 Super Wagoneer
                    5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                    (Soon to be TBI)
                    "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Stuka
                      • Jan 21, 2001

Rusty's does NOT have them for 74 and up. He has them for 76 and up. The front springs work, the rears do NOT.

Comment

• shredby4
                        350 Buick
                        • May 28, 2001

The Rustys kit I was talking about is just a front spring pack and rear AAL and block. I can't see why that wouldn't work...but it doesn't say it does...
                        Stuka,
                        copied and pasted from Rusty's site....
                        "Full-Size Jeep Suspension Systems
                        For 1974-1990 J10/J20 Pick-ups & Cherokee/Wagoneers "

Comment

• Stuka
                          • Jan 21, 2001

shredby: and I have emailed him teling him they wont work. I bought a full kit from him, rears do NOT work on a 74-75.

Comment

• shredby4
                            350 Buick
                            • May 28, 2001

Stuka,
                            I hear ya man...then he needs to change that. I fail to see why the kit with AAL's and blocks wouldn't work. That's all I am saying.

Comment

• Stuka
                              • Jan 21, 2001

Bocks will work, AAL's are to long I think. Post mount springs are 8" shorter then the box mount springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X