X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uglyjeep
    232 I6
    • Aug 20, 2007

DieselSJ - I've already abandoned my diesel gladiator project, and I'm not planning on dropping the 6.2 into my cherokee. I listed the 6.2 in the for sale section (a while ago), and I'm open to offers. Heck, if you paid for my gas one way I'd even deliver it to you (it'd give me a reason to go to tucson for a weekend).
    The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• conehead
      232 I6
      • Apr 24, 2006

I haven't abandone my deisel project. I'm in the process of rebuilding an 87 j20 and picked up a 95 dodge with the cummings engine that I an going to squeeze in the jeep. I would appreciate any advide or pictures of other swaps. I looks like its going to be tight but I don't think I will be able to fit the intercooler in unless I move the firewall back a couple of inches, I'll do that if I have to but would rather not if there are other options.

Comment

• dusty
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by conehead
        I haven't abandone my deisel project. I'm in the process of rebuilding an 87 j20 and picked up a 95 dodge with the cummings engine that I an going to squeeze in the jeep. I would appreciate any advide or pictures of other swaps. I looks like its going to be tight but I don't think I will be able to fit the intercooler in unless I move the firewall back a couple of inches, I'll do that if I have to but would rather not if there are other options.

cummi-N-s

otherwise if you go to get parts you mihgt be searching for awhile to find a company with a g at the end

move radiator forward a hair and pull the engine back tot he fire wall and things will fit
        Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
        The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

Originally posted by dustydoggy
          ... Auxiliary cooler with a fan is a good (remember that you have to be on flat ground in neutral to let the fluid flow - Dodge genius move) after towing, hauling or severe use to keep temps down.
          If you do the Trans-go mod on the valve body, you won't have that problem.

I got a 6.5 for mine. I am planning on running it with the full PCM package and converting the 4L80. Got to figure out why it won't start first.
          Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
          Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• godrocksus1
            232 I6
            • Dec 02, 2008

so... I'm gonna go ahead and chime in here to say that I have a K-5 Blazer with a 6.2. I was sorely disapointed with it's power. I keep it and drive it because it gets around 22 mpg and will probably out live me. It runs great and with pull medium size loads fine but it has no intentions of going over 65 with or without a load. Granted I'm running 31x10.50's and the recommended size tires are 235's and that hurts performance but it still lacks the acceptable power to be worth the swap. Banks makes a turbo for it but it's $2500. Bottom line is that the 6.2 was built for economy and not power. The Diesel Place is a good diesel forum they have helped me out a lot. There is a whole section on 6.2 and 6.5's . I would highly recommend checking them out before you swap. They have a lot to say. NOT THAT THESE FOLKS DON'T.
            1983 GW 360 Edelbrock 1406/manifold, mallory ignition, headers, duals and RUST yeah...
            1982 CJ-7 Motorcraft 2100 mod, Hei mod, chevy alt mod, heater mod, 3 inch lift dual batts, smittybuilt winch,...
            1971 Chevy truck 3/4 ton
            1998 Honda Shadow Ace 1100
            1965 Mustang project (it's for the wife BHAH)
            1980 Honda goldwing 1100
            1982 suzuki gs 850

Comment

• Towtruck
              350 Buick
              • Oct 11, 2001

For what it's worth, GM pulled the plug on the 4.5 V8. Looking for a partner to build it.... Cryin' shame....

J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Towtruck
                For what it's worth, GM pulled the plug on the 4.5 V8. Looking for a partner to build it.... Cryin' shame....
                I agree.
                I was hoping someone besides us DIY would build a Diesel powered 1/2 ton pickup, like GM back in the 80's.
                Last edited by The PIG Smith; 10-08-2009, 04:19 AM.
                Bryan Smith
                2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                1986 Jeep J20
                - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                1982 Jeep J10
                - Has become a Long Term Project.
                1981 Jeep J20
                - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                Originally posted by Lindel
                Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                  King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by uglyjeep
                  The MV surplus place near me wants $450 for a take off and $1000 for a full rebuilt. I've heard about a place in Los Angeles that gets 200 for take offs
                  Those prices sounds about right for around here as well.

The 3053a is a good unit.
                  I drove deuce and a half's (M35) when I served the Army and other than the goofy pattern, it shifted no different than the any other truck tranny...like a T18.
                  ...you're never gonna speed shift one.
                  I have forgotten if 5 tons used the 3053a or not.

For those not familiar with a 3053a, here is a good article about it

Goofy shifting pattern (pic courteous of JP Mazagine)

Also, this article compares the 3053a to a NV4500.
                  Last edited by The PIG Smith; 05-03-2014, 05:52 PM.
                  Bryan Smith
                  2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                  - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                  1986 Jeep J20
                  - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                  1982 Jeep J10
                  - Has become a Long Term Project.
                  1981 Jeep J20
                  - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                  1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                  - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                  ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                  Originally posted by Lindel
                  Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Towtruck
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 11, 2001

I just bought an Isuzu NPR to haul my Jaguar around (J10 is for sale). The 2006 and later trucks use a 5.2 4HK @ 190 HP/387 ft/lb....and the six speed manual has a granny and a 0.78 overdrive. The ultimate diesel swap.
                    J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• jMedia
                      350 Buick
                      • May 27, 2009

DieselSJ - I've already abandoned my diesel gladiator project, and I'm not planning on dropping the 6.2 into my cherokee. I listed the 6.2 in the for sale section (a while ago), and I'm open to offers. Heck, if you paid for my gas one way I'd even deliver it to you (it'd give me a reason to go to tucson for a weekend).
                      Wait if you've really abandoned it, I am in california and looking for a 6.2. I've been havin a b*tch of a time trying to find one. What is it out of?
                      EDIT: Is it the 87 jcode from your earlier posts? cause if so, dang. I have to have 89 or newer and out of a "light duty". Where did you get those? Any tips?
                      EDIT: EDIT: I didnt look at how old these posts are Sorry
                      Last edited by jMedia; 10-28-2009, 01:37 AM.
                      Joshua
                      1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
                      Constantly changing, never done

Comment

• uglyjeep
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 20, 2007

No worries.
                        I've switched projects around, sold stuff, and bought stuff so many times that I'm not sure which way is up.

I really don't know how DMV is going to be able to tell whether your engine is an early engine or a later one (do they have a book with the casting numbers?). I also doubt that they'll know enough about engines to check for the EGR or any of the other differences between 1/2 and 1 ton engines. I think that it is most likely that they'll look to see if the 6.2 (or 6.5) was offered in that year or later. But then again, I have NO clue how an engine swap works with DMV.

Look on craigslist on a regular basis. I picked up the one I'm going to run in bakersfield for a bit more than I would have liked to pay, but it came out of a low mileage truck that I drove before pulling the engine. My spare I bought in pomona, and I got that one for $75. It runs and came with most of a banks turbo kit. The guy that sold it to me said it was burning oil, which I found out at home ,after a thorough inspection, is coming from blown seals on the turbo. I still see what appear to be good deals pop up, you just have to look. On a side note, I have only seen one 6.5 on craigslist.
                        The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• budojeepr
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 02, 2006

I really don't know how DMV is going to be able to tell whether your engine is an early engine or a later one (do they have a book with the casting numbers?). I also doubt that they'll know enough about engines to check for the EGR or any of the other differences between 1/2 and 1 ton engines. I think that it is most likely that they'll look to see if the 6.2 (or 6.5) was offered in that year or later.
                          When I went to register my diesel Wagoneer in Kaleefornia, the gal at DMV looked around it and couldn't find anything that verified to her that it was a diesel, so she referred me to the BAR referee.

Lesson Learned: Get an engine sticker from the diesel truck donor. Get a sticker for the gas filler that says "Diesel Only". etc. etc.

The BAR referee did indeed have documentation and gave me the boot because only light-duty truck diesels are allowed to be transferred into a light-duty truck (which the Wagoneer is), and a light-duty truck diesel had an EGR. My engine did not.

Long sad story is here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=80533
                          Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• Tigger4X
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 16, 2001

I find it odd that this thread popped to the top today, but the last post shown that I see is from 10-28-2009 on Page 3. Modern technology HA!

No matter cuz I'm after all the diesel info I can get my grubby hands on. I know this particular thread dates to 11 of 2008, but I'm hoping to find out what you have all figured out over these past couple years.

Originally posted by Ugly Jeep

So the way I see it I?ve got several options ? 1) have the machine work done and run the 6.2/3053a. 2) Sell the 3053a stuff and spend $1000 to have an nv4500. 3) Get rid of the 6.2 and squeeze in a Cummins 6bt (I can?t afford a 4bt). 4) run a SBC or BBC on LPG or CNG.

I'm struggling with the final decision between the 3.9 and the 5.9 Cummins. The 3.9 would be simple to fit in my '67 Gladiator and no sweat getting the intercooler in with some good stuff that can be swapped from the 5.9; i.e. the exhaust manifold modified to improve turbo placement, etc. Also being light than the 5.9 is also a bonus, but I've been looking into reversing the leaf spring to move my axle forward just a bit. Wanting a winch bumper like the one ARTISAN is fabbing means more forward weight too so moving the axle forward and having the 3.9 will help VS the 5.9L. The 5.9 has more grunt to it and more can be done to it. One of those I want to do is a CNG injection system and supposedly you have to have the "common rail" to pull it off. As much as I wanted to P-pump a 5.9 and eliminate the electronics the CNG kit is a BIG bonus to me if I go the 5.9 route.

The next thing this thread brought up was the 3053a manual trans. Looking at the link The PIG Smith posted this looks to be a much more stout candidate over the NV4500 I've been so hot for, not to mention the purported cost savings although I dont know whats changed over the past 2 years in that regards as well as what it'll take to get it to work behind the Cummins VS the Chevy they were working with. ANYBODY??

Originally posted by Ugly Jeep

I?m good at scrounging parts and being very patient to find the best deals. I have also seen several complete 6bt drive-trains for $1000 or less. I have not found any NV4500?s or 4bt?s in my range. I also have a very limited budget.

I feel your budget pain, I think most of us do. It doesnt really matter if all of the components come from one source or are pieced together; budget is budget. Of course no sooner do I say that and the matter of shipping can quickly rack up.With that said does anyone have the ideal parts source list?

Originally posted by Dusty
                            I will agree the 4bta is a great size for swapping into our FSJ's. in order of how i would look at my options.

1. First choice is the 4bta. the extra price is worth the saved headaches.

2. a isuzu
                            4BD1T/2T is a great little motor can be had fairly cheap is modeled after the cummis 4bta definately worth looking at as another option. nice thing with it is the turbo would be on the driverside vs the passenger side so exhaust routine would be easier with a passengerside front drive axle & T-case. mileage numbers are similar to the 4bta. power can be turned up to a certain extent.

3. The 6.2/6.5 would be my next choice hard to beat for the price, availability and versatility

4. Next id look at a chevy 350, 5.3 or 6.0 conversion the fuel injecitona nd Od would be a valuable improvement for mileage if thats what you are after.

5. the 6bta or a 6bt would work but it is more of a shoe horn job. it would be the last choce on my list of what to ever do again. been there done that. dont think id go that route again in a fsj. Its like trying to stick a 6.9 or 7.3 ford diesel into one its just big heavy and long taking up the engine compartment fully and really pushing the workable space when maitnance becomes necessary. the 6bta rear valve covers are a pain to get off in most conversions without serious massaging of the firewall and the engine weight was so far forward due to the jeep firewall being as far forward as it is that 3 of the 6 cylinders were forward of the front axle at 1200 lbs thats alot of front axle weight creating leveage vs riding over or behind the axle.

You could do a Detroit they are fun, can be turned up and have a sound all to themselves

check out my build up if you want some pictures on the 4bt. around $1500-2000 for a 4bt is going rate. the 6.2 carries with it some other barriers. replacing & removing the heater. i chose the 4bta because of its compact size and easy serviceability. a V8 engine widens things out and i wanted an air to air cooler also. a 6.2 can easily produce 180-200 hp/ 350-375 ft/lbs torque especially with a turbo added on 400ft/lbs is possible making 18-21 mpg and around town 16-18. my 4bt i added injectors (40hp) for $300, and a HY35/9 turbo for another $400 (that includes oil return line, and new exhaust manifold) and i fully expect on the dyno some rear wheel numbers around 180-200hp and 415-450 ft/lbs with a mileage 25-26 empty and around 19-20 in town.

My list is similar to DUSTY'S but I already laid that out above in the beginning of my post. The Isuzu sounds interesting, but the write up on here that somebody did entails a bunch of machining that I highly doubt I could afford. Beyond that it diodnt sound all that bad at all. Behind the budget is my main goal of MPGs being king. The potential dyno numbers DUSTY guess-timated sound pretty nice, but as long as the MPGs are there I'm not into posting up crazy numbers. Nothing wrong with 'em, but I'll save that for my monster build somewhere in the future. I dont recall DUSTY'S powertrain set-up but I wonder what they'd look like with either the NV4500 or the 3053a under my quad cab J-truck. Now if only there was a way to get a 3.9L to work with the "common rail" system found on the 5.9L that was mentioned in the article about that CNG injection kit I want.

[
                            quote=dustydoggy]Simplicity personified is the 6bt arrangement. Even though I am not a fan of automatics an early 727 type 3 speed (diesel specific "518?") or the non electronic "47rh?" should hold up well under most anything short of a high horse/torque monster.

Sorry for my rant. Try and get a $1500 4x4 with a stick and you're golden. I think the 1992.5 & 1993 had the nv4500 and Dana 60F & Dana70R.
                            [/quote]

I havent seen enough about an auto trans behind a Cummins to make me want one beyond my preference against them. I'd mentioned a parts source list. Not having been able to piece together exactly what I actually need I have no clue where to begin, much less find a donor like you mention here. UGH!!

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                            Originally Posted by uglyjeep
                            The MV surplus place near me wants $450 for a take off and $1000 for a full rebuilt. I've heard about a place in Los Angeles that gets 200 for take offs

Those prices sounds about right for around here as well.

The 3053a is a good unit.
                            I drove deuce and a half's (M35) when I served the Army and other than the goofy pattern, it shifted no different than the any other truck tranny...like a T18.

you're never gonna speed shift one.
                            I have forgotten if 5 tons used the 3053a or not.

For those not familiar with a 5053a, here is a good article about it

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ion/index.html

Also, this article compares the 3053a to a NV4500.

This being posted has me wondering what has changed over the past year/two and what all it would take to run the 3053a instead of the NV4500. To me the side by side has the 3053a over the NV4500. But the magazine guys did it with a Chevy. Has anybody actually put the 3053a behind a Cummins? What varies from the article parts wise and what needs special work done by a shop or whatever?
                            Originally posted by will e
                            Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                            Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• JeepinPete
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 09, 2003

I made up the adapter for the Isuzu simply because I can. Saved quite a bit of money doing that way. But there are two kits out there that I know of to adapt the Isuzu to the SBC bolt pattern. They run ~$700. The Isuzu can be had a lot cheaper than the Cummins if you are patient. There simply isn't the demand for them like there is for the 4BT. I picked up mine off of ebay for $500 running, and have seen them in Craigslist since for the same amount. Plus if they need a rebuild, there is no machining of the block. They use a press in sleeve which can be done at home if you like. The complete rebuild kit is ~$1200.
                              Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                              Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                              Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• uglyjeep
                                232 I6
                                • Aug 20, 2007

When I was planning on using the 3053a, I did find a few threads regarding putting a cummins in front of the 3053 (IIRC on a dodge forum). One guy used the original m35 bellhousing with one of the various SAE pattern adapters available for the b-series engines. I don't know much more than that.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

Working...
                                X