X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

I only crushed the crappy Fram. I thought I crushed the second one but when I removed it, it looked OK inside.

Tonight I ran it with the 20W-50. It had about 12PSI hot idle pressure. MUCH better but hopefully I can get more; I am still going to get a better timing cover and another oil pump. Just not sure when they will get swapped on.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

I would not spend any more money on oiling until you get the new gauge hooked up and see what you have. Krista and I gradually watched the oil pressure drop on her 401 over about a year. I feared the worse and put new gears and mid-plate in the pump and netted the same oil pressure. Then I swapped the sender out. Same same. Guess what? I hooked up an after market oil gauge to discover we had great oil pressure.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I am doing both (gauge and oil pump). When I am warm (and my stock gauge reads 10psi) I can hear my lifters ticking. I re-adjusted all my rockers and no change. So, I am going to re-do the oil pump and while I am in there, I am going to install the mechanical/aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

you sure a galley plug didn't get installed or something? maybe a cam bearing didn't get installed? you have no pressure,that oil is going somewhere. the way you collapsed that fram indicates a large volume of oil moving thru the filter,yet no pressure. it is not the main and rod bearing doing this.

id would stop driving it before you wipe a bearing out and have to grind the crank again.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

I'd just install the freakin' gauge already....sheesh
            Your in dash could be reading higher than what you have? too.

Even @ 10 the lifters/rockers shouldn't be making noise.
            I'd be on the phone with the machine shop too, in case it's something they screwed up on.
            Need to document the issue so to speak w/ them before you tear into it.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

I am not touching it for a while. I haven't started it since Friday and don't plan on touching it again for at least 2 more weeks. I have another timing cover and filter adapter I am going to send to SC/397 for him to blueprint (because I am 90% sure I did not do mine right). I do not plan to start my rig again until I am pulling it into my garage to swap timing covers and install the mechanical gauge.

I distinctly remember installing the 2 oil galley plugs in the back (by the flex plate) when I picked up the block because I did it before I installed the block on the engine stand (if they were missing, I would be puking oil all down my flex plate anyway). I remember installing the 2 on the front before the timing gear went on because I remember reading about some people drilling a tiny hole in them, the pros/cons to doing that, and deciding not to drill the holes. Then I remember I had to go buy 2 new plugs for the lifter valley becuase the plug kit I bought only came with 4 plugs so I am confident those are on there, too. All 6 of them had The Right Stuff slurred around the threads before they were driven down deep into their homes.

So I opened my second filter (Wix) and it was normal and clean. I think the Fram was crushed because it was so filled with assembly lube and it was so crappy but as a wise man once said "that oil is going somewhere."

oooohhhhhh crraaapppp.....
              I drilled some oil drain back holes in my lifter valley after seeing SC/397 do it on this build (you can see them in the first picture in this thread).
              AMC 360 Stroker (383) for Donzi
              I wonder if I punctured/drilled into an oil galley...? I tried to be super careful not to but now I think need to check... You can see my holes here. I only did the smaller ones.

So when I pull my timing cover, I guess I'll pull my intake, too. After the new cover/pump are installed I will spin up the oil pump and see if any oil leaks out any of these holes. If it does, I'll tap them and put a brass plug in them. Oh man....
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

im doubtful you hit a oil galley with those holes. but if you did you tap the hole all the way thru and put a allen plug in it with red locktite.

who put the cam bearings in? all of them are in?

every wore out AMC with bad oil pressure ive had,and its been a lot,has had de-laminated cam bearings in it.
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Machinist installed the cam bearings. I gave him the set in a new/sealed box. I remember looking in to see them installed when I picked it up the block and know I saw at least 2 of them and am pretty certain I saw all 4 of them. I can be absent minded but I am pretty sure I checked all of them since I paid him, IMHO, a lot to install them. I also received back, all 4 of the old bearings so I do know they were R/R'ed (they were very worn, showing lots of copper). I do remember, when I installed my cam, feeling it slide through each bearing as it went in so I am pretty confident they are all in there. I would think that if one of them was missing, I would make almost no pressure at all, even when cold but I am getting 20'ish at cold idle.

I just think between me probably doing a poor job on the oil pump and the slightly too big clearances in my crank/rod bearings, that's where my pressure is going. When I adjusted my rockers on Friday, I cranked it over before I put the valve covers on and had oil at all 16 rockers so I had some pressure and flow.

When I do my pump, I will also install the mechanical gauge. I will spin the pump with my drill and make sure I get oil at all 16 rockers and nothing is spilling out those holes I drilled. Then I will button it all back up and see where I am at. If oil pressure is still low, I'll dig deeper.
                  Last edited by rang-a-stang; 04-11-2019, 08:44 PM.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 01, 2010

Did you have this aluminum block-off plate seated all the way tight?
                    IMG_1648 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

I did. At least I am pretty sure I did. The parts i sent you are not the ones that I had on my Jeep. Ill verify them when I pull it apart (hopefully) this weekend.
                      Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 01, 2010

This is what I did to your timing cover to help with the so-called hydro relief idea. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...ro-relief.html
                        I just use a very small round file and file a relief in to where the center of the gears would meet.
                        IMG_1646 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                        IMG_1647 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Ok, It's in!!! AND IT WORKS!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! Update on my build thread. About 40PSI on mechanical gauge (hot idle) and 32 on my dash gauge with 20/50. I was not able to try it with 10/40 because I was out of oil plug gaskets. I picked some up tonight but I had already showered so I was not able to test it.

The block off was seated well.

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• chubbinius
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                            Ok, It's in!!! AND IT WORKS!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! Update on my build thread. About 40PSI on mechanical gauge (hot idle) and 32 on my dash gauge with 20/50. I was not able to try it with 10/40 because I was out of oil plug gaskets. I picked some up tonight but I had already showered so I was not able to test it.

The block off was seated well.
                            Great to hear! Must feel great to see those numbers where you expected them to be and to see it on both mech/dash gauges too!
                            1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                            -Dauntless 350 V8
                            -D27 front/D44 rear
                            2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

When I first started my engine I was paranoid about wiping a cam lobe because I was firing on an untested EFI. Then every time after i was paranoid about wiping bearings from low oil pressure. When I saw good oil pressure, I FINALLY got the feel the feeling of triumph!

As I was installing this, I kept playing playing over the terrible scenario:
                              What if I still have low OP? Do I pull the intake and check for a hold in the galley? Bad lifter maybe? is a cam bearing missing? What if my oil pickup is bottomed out on my oil pan? So happy!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• johnsonic
                                258 I6
                                • Mar 12, 2015

Great news!!!!!
                                1984 GW
                                Comp 260H
                                Harland Sharp Roller Rockers