• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman1
    258 I6
    • Jul 22, 2015

nice truck

That's going to be so awesome! Keep on inspiring us Please.
    : 98 9er
    '83 Honcho j10
    '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
    '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• Towtruck
      350 Buick
      • Oct 11, 2001

Sorry, no photos today because I lost my camera in the pile of rubble in the garage. But I did make some progress...sanded and repainted tailgate because it had too much orange peel on first attempt from a couple of weeks ago. As mentioned earlier, I'm using a turbine HVLP spray rig...and it takes a different application technique to get it right. Actually the main thing with this Eastwood satin black (with a turbine HVLP) is to thin it about double what Eastwood recommends. Went on very nice this time. Very little overspray with HVLP, so the traditional cloud of paint mist doesn't exist. Ideal for a garage paint booth. I still wear a Tyvek suit, isocynate rated respirator and a face shield.

The windshield came out yesterday, and I scraped, cut, wire wheeled, gnawed off the old seal today. The outer surface of the gasket flange is spick and span...the inner still has some old adhesive and remnants of the seal on it. Decided to remove the dash to get at the back side of the gasket flange. No rust, thank goodness. Will repaint the dash while it's out.

This afternoon I removed the doors and gutted them because I want to replace the forward window felt/track. These items were not avaiable when I repainted a decade ago. Anyway, that means the vent window and frame have to come out...which means the motor mechanism and door lock linkage had to come out as well. At least it makes the body work and painting easier in the long run. Motor and track will be cleaned up and lubed.

Ding repairs on doors and cab start tomorrow. The power steering hose arrives from Rock Auto on Wednesday. If I come across the camera, I'll post some photos.
      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• jeepman1
        258 I6
        • Jul 22, 2015

Inside of my door's bad rusty but doors themselves not bad. Should I just find better doors or replace everything in these
        : 98 9er
        '83 Honcho j10
        '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
        '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• Towtruck
          350 Buick
          • Oct 11, 2001

In the past if I'm dealing with surface rust I treat it or blast it and seal. If large areas of rust through/holes/thin metal I try to find better panels. This was how I approached rust with the Jaguar. New front floor pans and trunk floor. The rest was derusted (extensive use of Evaporust). No significant issues on this Jeep.
          J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Towtruck
            350 Buick
            • Oct 11, 2001

Yesterday was power steering day. Turned out the pump was also leaking (in addition to the pressure hose). So I hunted around for a new pump in the morning and installed the pump, hoses and new belts in the afternoon.

Today I repaired a rust spot in the forward corner of the roof, which I discovered when I pulled the windshield. I cut out the bad metal, fabricated a metal patch, and welded it in. Very time consuming. The new forward window tracks arrived from TGW this afternoon...nice quality. Tomorrow I will definitely begin body work on the cab.

Attached are photos of the painted tailgate hanging over the hood of the Jaguar like the Sword of Damacles. (I'm running out of inside space to hang/store body parts). Anyway, it gives a good idea of how the hot rod black color will appear. I repainted the tailgate twice because I was initially unhappy with the bodywork and then again because I was unhappy with the orange peel. Note that this will be a single stage finish, although I could overcoat with clear later.

DSCN1422 by Rufus, on Flickr
            DSCN1423 by Rufus, on Flickr
            Last edited by Towtruck; 02-21-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Towtruck
              350 Buick
              • Oct 11, 2001

Yesterday was power steering day. Turned out the pump was also leaking (in addition to the pressure hose). So I hunted around for a new pump in the morning and installed the pump, hoses and new belts in the afternoon.

Today I repaired a rust spot in the forward corner of the roof, which I discovered when I pulled the windshield. I cut out the bad metal, fabricated a metal patch, and welded it in. Very time consuming. Tomorrow I will definitely begin body work on the cab.

Attached are photos of the painted tailgate hanging over the hood of the Jaguar like the Sword of Damacles. (I'm running out of inside space to hang/store body parts). Anyway, it gives a good idea of how the hot rod black color will appear. I painted the tailgate twice because I was initially unhappy with the bodywork and then again because I was unhappy with the orange peel. Note that this will be a single stage finish, although I could overcoat with clear later.

DSCN1422 by Rufus, on Flickr
              DSCN1423 by Rufus, on Flickr
              Last edited by Towtruck; 02-21-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Towtruck
                350 Buick
                • Oct 11, 2001

Two days expended on prepping the cab, touching up the ding repairs and partial masking. Tomorrow I'll mask off the doors and shoot the epoxy followed by urethane primer. Tuesday I'll block sandthe primer. Rain is forecast for Wednesday...I'll switch focus to prepping the doors (in the garage). I hope to shoot color on the cab and maybe the doors at the end of the week.

The forward felt window runners arrived. Nice quality. The originals are attached to the vent window tracks with very small steel rivets (not in the kit). Has anyone done this repair, and what did you use for attaching hardware?

DSCN1425 by Rufus, on Flickr
                DSCN1431 by Rufus, on Flickr
                DSCN1430 by Rufus, on Flickr
                Last edited by Towtruck; 02-24-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

nice progress

going to look great when finished.

keep us posted.

dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

My goodness you work fast!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Towtruck
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 11, 2001

Nine hour days with no lunch yesterday and today. Trying to beat the rain. Finished up the masking this morning. Set up for painting early afternoon. The original plan was to paint it outside, but the wind was very gusty...lots of tree stuff falling. So it went into the makeshift booth in the garage. Black epoxy went on pretty well, but the HVLP turbine generates a lot of heat in the air stream, so initial cure time (thumbprint test) is very fast. By the time I got the cup cleaned for the gray urethane primer, the gun was starting to clog. And clearing an epoxy clog is a beech. So I lost some time there. I bought some hi-temp/slow reducer and need to start using it. Love the HVLP turbine gun though.

After the black epoxy I could see that my body work sux (as usual), so sprayed on multiple coats of the gray primer in the bad spots. Hoping I can block sand them out without adding more skim putty, but we'll see. As you can see it was getting dark by the time I got the truck out of the garage.

DSCN1434 by Rufus, on Flickr
                      DSCN1436 by Rufus, on Flickr
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2eRv2as][img]
                      Rufus, on Flickr
                      DSCN1437 by Rufus, on Flickr
                      DSCN1438 by Rufus, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Towtruck; 02-25-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Towtruck
                        350 Buick
                        • Oct 11, 2001

Well, the DFW weather keeps throwing a wrench in the works. The cab shell is about ready for color, but it was too cold to paint today....now looking at early next week. I attached a photo of the truck's covered storage spot behind the fence. The roof leaks a little as it's been bombarded with golf ball size hail a couple of times. Pretty Rube Goldbberg, but it cuts down the UV.

I worked on the doors in the semi-heated garage today. The vent window assemblies are apart and waiting for reassembly with the new felt lined tracks for the side windows. I need to find some fasteners as
                        I ground offthe originals.Then I'll have all the side windows retinted...don't have time to do it myself again. I want this thing done by the end of March.

Cleaned up the doors. The back side and inside looked pretty much like when I repainted them more than a decade ago. The black epoxy held up very well where it was not bombarded by UV. No rust inside the doors. I lined them with some left over Fat Mat from the Jaguar project to cut down on the noise in the cab. The body filler work is nearly there...mostly where I welded the holes for the original GW mirrors shut. I'll try to get the doors in epoxy/primer over the next few days, so that I can do a single color spray event for the cab and doors. Once I get that cab in color, I can reinstall the bed and free up the other bay in the garage. The bed still needs the Raptor sprayed in, but that can wait. Same for the fiberglass rear fenders. Lordy, I do hate body work.

DSCN1443 by Rufus, on Flickr
                        DSCN1448 by Rufus, on Flickr
                        DSCN1449 by Rufus, on Flickr
                        DSCN1456 by Rufus, on DSCN1460 by Rufus, on Flickr
                        DSCN1461 by Rufus, on Flickr

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

looks like you have been very busy.

going to be nice

I know you are itching to spray it

after all the sanding and prep.

good you have the garage to work in while it is nasty outside.

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• Towtruck
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 11, 2001

Too cold to paint today, so I reassembled the vent window tracks with the new felt inserts. Straight forward task...grind off the original rivet heads, extract the worn out felt/fuzzy track inserts and reassemble with new. Again the new inserts are very nicely made with holes in exactly the correct locations. I used 1/8" aluminum rivets from Ace Hardware...shortest length available. Worked great...the heads are well below the fuzzy stuff. I'll clean up the frames and repaint when it warms up. Will paint the rivet heads black. This little task took about two hours including hunting down the rivet gun.

DSCN1463 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            DSCN1462 by Rufus, on Flickr

Comment

• Towtruck
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 11, 2001

Finally got two good weather days in a row. Painted the cab in color coat yesterday and the inside of the bed and tailgate in epoxy followed by Raptor bed liner today. Hail is forecast for tonight, and with the damned bed taking up one space in the garage, my wife's Acura is sitting outside. All because the media blaster took two weeks to get the fenders, hood, etc out the door, and another two weeks to get the cab and chassis blasted. Oh well, I did beat the bugs, which should start hatching around here any day now. Here are some photos... Doing this piecemeal results in endless taping and masking. And I'm finishing up the fourth gallon of acetone because of all the small jobs followed by gun cleanup. The epoxy, hardened urethanes, and Raptor urethane are murder on spray guns if left to sit for very long. Still lovin' that turbine HVLP....anywhere I can string an extension cord I can haul the sucker to the site. And I figured out the secret to eliminating orange peel is lots of thinner, setting the gun on heavy paint flow and holding the gun close to the surface. Anyway, I'm finally on the down hill with this project. Doors are ready to paint and reassemble...that leaves the rear (fiberglass) fenders. Oh...and repaint the dash and install the windshield.

DSCN1468 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1467 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1466 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1464 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1472 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1473 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1475 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1478 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              DSCN1479 by Rufus, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Towtruck; 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• GWNashville
                                232 I6
                                • Dec 28, 2016

Great work. Love that truck. Thanks for all the pictures.
                                Richard
                                GWNashville
                                Email:[email protected]
                                1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
                                727 Transmission
                                Sniper EFI Hyperspark
                                Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.

Comment

Working...
                                X