• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sac_waggon
    232 I6
    • Sep 28, 2006

Rear bumper build

I posted a few pics of the rear bumper that I had made right before I went on a snow run. After getting several responses for more detailed pics, I decided to do a bit off a write-up. The bumper loosely follows the design of the Cliffhanger bumper that is sold by BJ?s Offroad. I considered buying one from them but it wasn?t exactly what I wanted. Also, I really wanted to build it myself. The lower portion of my rear fenders were pretty rusty so I trimmed them off and plated in the gap. I wanted some sort of rock slider to go where the fender material was so I incorporated it into the bumper.
    I guess I will start with the two recovery points that are built into the bumper. I took two pieces of ½?X4? flat plate and welded them together to make 1?X4? plate. Then using a plasma cutter, I cut through the 2?X6? tube that is the main rear piece. The 1?X4? goes through the 2?x6? and is welded on both sides. The 1?X4? plate is bolted to some brackets that are bolted to the frame and then also serve as the recovery points. The 2?X6? tube is 1/8? thick as is most of the other material used. The rock slider portions are the same material as the main rear piece. To connect the rock sliders to the frame, I used 1 1/4? square tube that goes all the way through the 2?X6? tube. I plated in the outer hole and ground it off smooth. 4?X ¼? angle is used to secure the 1 1/4? square tube to the frame just behind the rear spring mounts. I was a bit concerned about the rock slider only being supported in the middle and at back where it is welded to the main bumper, but when I used my shinny new high lift jack to get the rear driver side tire all the way off the ground, my concern quickly diminished. Besides, rarely will a rock come up that close to the back tire. The hinge is the only piece that I didn?t fabricate myself. I bought it from AtoZ fabrications.
    http://www.atozfabrication.com/catalog/tirecarrierhingekit-p-34.html?zenid=413897c9e0cd12ef0c8fdaaec48e5a2e
    Let me tell you, it is nice. A premade, high quality set-up that is ready to go. The zerk fitting is something that I added just because I thought it would be cool to have
    The swinging tire carrier part is pretty much a copy from BJ?s. There is only so many ways that you can mount a tire, two gas cans and a high lift jack. My only requirement was that both lights and the license plate needed to be fully visible from a reasonable following distance. I didn?t want to give California?s finest and reason to stop me. Also I chose to put the gas cans on the driver side for two reasons, they are heavy and I am lazy. That way trailside refueling can be accomplished with the old Oklahoma credit card, just siphon away. Because of where the spare tire is mounted, a bit of a blind spot has been created, but since this is not my daily driver, I felt it was a compromise that I could live with.
    That?s about it. Here are some pics to check out. Enjoy?
    Attached Files
    75 Wagoneer, 401, 4 inch Hell Creek lift,
    35 inch BFG Mudders
  • sac_waggon
    232 I6
    • Sep 28, 2006

Some more pics. My two daughters are my reason for buliding this rig. At our house we say FSJ stands for Family Size Jeep.
    Attached Files
    35 inch BFG Mudders

Comment

• 401-J10
      232 I6
      • Jan 31, 2007

Wow that looks really good. Just wondering though is there a chance of the spring shackle hitting the frame mount when you get flexed out? It just looks kinda close in the pics.
      Evan

04 Wrangler
      78 J10 401

Comment

Nicely done!! any thoughts of making a few available?
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Damaged Goods
          232 I6
          • Oct 20, 2007

Looks very nice! Could you post up some pics of where you cut out the fenders? I am thinking about doing that to mine but not sure if I will like how it looks.

Comment

• HorribleHarry
            232 I6
            • Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'd buy one in a heartbeat! (and give me a good reason to go to the railroad museum!)
            I've gotta say that is a great shot of the rear of your rig. (second set #3) I want mine to look cool like that! It's my current desktop!
            Harry
            Last edited by HorribleHarry; 01-28-2008, 12:45 AM.
            86 GW, 360-V8, NP229, Tow Package(3.73's), D44/AMC23, aux. 25 gal. fuel tank, 2.5" lift, 31"BFG AT's, dual Flowmaster exhaust w twin cats, factory brush guard, PIGNOSE transplant!, rust, shiny chrome valve covers! ...and no more woodgrain!
            89 Range Rover classic hunter (with factory standard leaky head gaskets!!!)
            87 Vanagon SYNCRO 4X4

Comment

• noflyzone
              232 I6
              • Apr 13, 2007

Looks good. I have two little girls also. Same thing, my little Jeep just wont fit everybody safely.

A little offline here....Why are your shocks bottomed out? does that set up weigh 2500lbs?

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                • Mar 20, 2005

You still have a lot of weight on those rear bumper mounts. Might want to weld them to the rear crossmember if you haven't already.
                Ethan Brady
                1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• rampagefsj
                  327 Rambler
                  • Feb 16, 2005

Could you post a pic of where you cut it from the back of the wheel well to the bumper for the slider? That's exactly what I was wanting to design for my truck, just without the tire carrier.

Comment

• baitfish
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jan 27, 2008

bumper looks killer great job!!!!!

Comment

• bushwood44
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 22, 2008

nice work looks good
                      88 Grand Wagoneer
                      99 Camaro z28
                      73 Honda st 90
                      79 F250

Comment

• sac_waggon
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 28, 2006

Here are some more pics of the bumper, the wheel wells that I cut out, ect...

Also for those that were curious if I caould make some more, I am sorry but at this time I can't. I live in Sac, but I built the bumper at my Uncle's house down in Napa. I work 40-50 hours a week and I am also an Air Force reservist, so that takes up at least 1 weekend a month. I started talking about buying a winch and making a front bumper and lets just say my wife didn't give me the look of approval. If my next project doesn't involve hardwood flooring, then I may be sleeping in the old waggon. At least the back seat folds up.
                        Attached Files
                        35 inch BFG Mudders

Comment

• Casey
                          • Oct 08, 2003

Very nice work!

I got rid of the J-10 project for the Chief after our first daughter was born. Now that we have two, I'm very glad I did.

You should have pic #5 2nd set as your avatar.
                          1994 YJ
                          1986 Comanche
                          '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                          www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                          "Go forth and be a tool".
                          Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                          This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• sac_waggon
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 28, 2006

Originally posted by Casey

Very nice work!

I got rid of the J-10 project for the Chief after our first daughter was born. Now that we have two, I'm very glad I did.

You should have pic #5 2nd set as your avatar.
                            Done!
                            35 inch BFG Mudders

Comment

• etjeep
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 03, 2003

Nice job, looks clean.
                              Later.....
                              Eric

Comment

Working...