Tell me your top wiring tips (my harness is in the mail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

Tell me your top wiring tips (my harness is in the mail)

This monday my BJ offroad wiring harness is due to arrive. I have zero know how on wiring. I know I will figure it out but getting some tips from you pros is always helpful. This is for a 76 Wagoneer. Rebuilt everything is in but I have not started it up yet. Decided I better replace the old patched electrical. I'm super excited to learn and work on this aspect of the build.

Thanks everybody
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!
  • Shep 762
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2016

If it takes too much force you're doing it wrong. No need to horsef**k a connector, look for locking tabs, push instead of pull etc.

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

No electrical tape. No adhesive tape in general. It turns gooey, makes a mess, and unravels with time. Use heat shrink or dry vinyl wrapping tape tied off at the ends.

No plastic sleeve connectors crimped in place. Use bare metal connectors. Crimp them to the wire, solder them to the wire, then heat shrink over. I really like the adhesive-lined heat shrink because it forms an airtight seal so no corrosion can form inside the wire and connector.

No splice locks. Hell no. Those are the worst things ever invented.

Tooth lock washers on grounding terminals. They cut through paint and corrosion to make good contact.

Proper bundling and wrapping to keep wire runs neat and organized is your friend.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Take a lot of pictures of the layout of the old harness. Also draw out on paper the layout of the wires and any plastic hold downs or brackets that you take off.
        Mark with tape the new and old connectors at the same time. You will think you can just remember where it all goes, but might forget something.
        (example)
        alt. plug A
        alt. plug A
        a/c plug B
        a/c plug B

Once you get the old one out, lay one on top of the other and check length. Easier to mod the new harness on the bench if needed. Lots of up front work, but will make the install go smoother.
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Get the harness in and make sure you have a permanent destination for each wire before you cut. Cut long, fit it, then cut one more time for a perfect fit. Doing it twice is way easier than trying to make a wire longer.

Epoxy heat shrink is the only way to go. You will need a heat gun. Don't bother with regular heat shrink. It does not seal moisture out.
          Soldering each connector as previously mentioned will make a connection that will last a lifetime. Cover it with good heat shrink.

Document each wire color and where it goes. Start to finish. You will be glad to have that later if something starts acting up.

Invest in quality crimpers. REAL crimpers. Then crimp and solder and heat shrink away.

If you must use crimp connectors with no solder, only use epoxy filled heat shrink connectors. That at least seals the connection.

Do not use acid core solder flux. Thats for radiators and metal. Use rosin core flux only. Acid based flux causes corrosion on your solder work.

Cover wire runs with wire loom. The standard thing is ribbed plastic. For restoration uses, asphalt covered loom is available. For super heavy duty abrasion resistant covering, woven poly is out there for stuff like tractors.

For under body weather proof connectors, weatherpak can't be beat. That involves the special terminals, seals, connector shells and very important, the right crimpers.
          The packard 56 connectors found on every jeep (older) out there are open and subject to corrosion.

I just built a complete new harness for an old dozer. I soldered every joint and covered it with heat shrink. Original wire colors and everything.
          I have all the faith in the world it is as good as it can be. Do the best that you are able. It will matter later.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 67GMC
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2016

Second to soldering, I typically use the "western union wire splice" method of making joints. Then cover the joint with shrink rap. I learned this in high school electricity class.

Soldering is great if you have the wires on a bench. I've also seen a fair bit of poor soldering that causes sharp points that poke through the insulation and cause issues. Never had a western union joint come apart.

Agree that Scotch Locks (those blue plastic crimps) are products of satan and just designed to cause more problems. I had a Cherokee that the previous owner had installed a remote car starter/door unlocker. All Scotch locks everywhere. What a mess to fix in a tight spot under the dash etc.
            My Stable:
            1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
            2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
            2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
            2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
            1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
            1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• Rusty76
              258 I6
              • Jul 15, 2018

Great! Thanks everybody. Looks like I've got lots of research to do before I start.
              Hopefully install new tank today and start plugging away at the wiring.
              Thanks for taking the time to help. Look forward to updating this thread with success.
              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

My approach is similar to Nigel's.

To make a solid, weatherproof splice:

Uninsulated butt connectors. (Del City, Waytek)
                Good crimping pliers. (Amazon)
                Automatic wire strippers (nice to have - Amazon).
                Kester 60/40 or 63/37 tin-lead rosin core solder. Fairly large size, like 30 or larger. (Amazon)
                Weller soldering gun. (garage sale or Craig's list, or Amazon I suppose)
                Extra paste or liquid flux for old wires (Kester brand NLA, use MG - Amazon).
                3M adhesive heat shrink tubing (Parts Express, Waytek, Mouser or Digikey).
                Cheap heat gun (I have a nice green one from Grizzly in the garage, plus a small one on my indoors bench; Amazon, Harbor Freight, others).

No cheesy/gooey plastic electrical tape.
                Practice on scrap wire.
                Be sure to put the heat shrink on BEFORE you crimp the connector.
                Hot iron, get in, get out. Let the work melt the solder.
                Adhesive heat shrink FTW.

I like to bundle everything in split loom and secure with black tie wraps aka zip ties (Parts Express). You can buy "automotive grade" split loom which has a higher melting temperature, but I have used the cheapest split loom I can find and had no issues. You can also buy the tees for split loom that the auto manufacturers use to branch split loom, but I think that's mostly to make the installation fast on the assembly line. I just bring the wires out of the split and put a zip tie around the loom to keep the wires from unzipping down the loom, then start another piece of loom.

Use NEW shakeproof washers (aka toothed or star washers) and a dab of dielectric grease on ground connections.

Do own a multimeter? Suggest you get one and learn to use it. An exceptionally powerful and useful tool.
                Last edited by tgreese; 03-03-2020, 10:41 AM.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• levelhead
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 04, 2016

All good advice
                  1988 GW (2)
                  1980 Cherokee Laredo
                  1979 Wagoneer
                  1976 J10 401
                  1977 Wagoneer 401
                  1977 J10 4 speed
                  1969 J3000 (2)
                  1955 CJ3B
                  1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• Rusty76
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 15, 2018

Wow I've been doing loads of research and I had no clue about the Solder Vs Crimp debate. Literally changes in every article.
                    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                    Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

There are opposing views.

Solder makes a good joint whether you crimp well or not. The argument against is - it's more work, and the transition from solder to bare wire is a stress riser that can fatigue the wire at that point. As you know, you can break copper wire by bending it back and forth repeatedly to cause fatigue. This is why they use stranded wire in automobiles - the individual strands can bend more easily without fatiguing. Solid wire is used in buildings because it's immobile in the walls.

Suggest if you solder, put your joints where the wire is not going to move a lot, or tie the wire down, or both. The heat shrink also helps to stiffen the joint, and avoid fatiguing the wire.

A well-executed crimp is said to be as good as a joint electrically as a soldered joint, maybe better. Supposedly the extreme point pressure of a proper crimp welds the two materials together. However, specialized crimping pliers that can make these excellent joints are expensive, and only work with specific connectors.

Soldering is still used everywhere in electronics. Indeed, it seems like industry has gotten away from mechanical wiring like wire wrap (popular a couple of decades ago) and moved instead to tiny surface-mount components that are held in place by only solder.

If you really hate the idea of soldering, suggest you get the adhesive-lined plastic insulated butt connectors, and buy a ratcheting crimping tool made for those connectors.
                      Last edited by tgreese; 03-08-2020, 06:43 AM.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rusty76
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks again for the help. Ok I've pulled out the old harness and ran the new EZ wire harness to the designated spots (engine, front, back, dash, steering column).

I will admit I was pretty overwhelmed after taking the old harness out. It crossed my mind that this might be the step of this build that never allows her to move under her own power. After I sent the wires to designated spots I feel better and am up to the challenge. So the first round of questions.

1. Some of my old connections such as the Temp Sensor has the push on style.
                        Does a guy just use the ring connectors with heat shrink and a small nut?

2. So it looks like I snapped a bunch of pins from the ''Pin Connection" and a couple
                        other ones from the gauge cluster. Initially I took this as a sign that I should buy
                        a sweet new Dakota Digital cluster. After a quick price check I quickly decided I
                        should try to fix. Can I get new pins? I read a good thread about how to fix.
                        looks doable.

I had this whole week off to wrench and maybe finally get this thing running before the snow melts. My little ones have been sent home from school. So daddy daycare starts tomorrow. Might start with some wiring. IMG_0712 by , on Flickr
                        IMG_0713 by , on FlickrIMG_0714 by , on FlickrIMG_0715 by , on Flickr
                        1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                        Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                        Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Rusty76
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 15, 2018

One more question. I bought the larger harness for my 76 Wag. It has lots of extra wires such as power locks, windows. The instructions mentions just to cut it off as close to the fuse box as possible. Am I reading this right? Wouldn't those cut wires be hot? Maybe cause a fire? Thanks again!

Stay Healthy everybody..
                          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• chubbinius
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 31, 2018

You can either work on re-attaching the pins, or pick up a new circuit board here
                            We specialize in Kaiser/Willys/AMC Jeep restoration parts. Partsdude4x4 also manufacturers hard to find and obsolete Jeep parts

They also have a replacement pigtail if you can't get the pins out here
                            New plug cluster for the instrument panel.  Comes with wiring diagram.  Fits all Jeepster Commando and Jeep Commando, 1960-1972 Wagoneer and J series trucks

Hope that helps. On the cutting off the extra wires, I would recommend that you just wrap them and secure them rather than cut them off...that way if you want to upgrade or add a circuit later, you have the wires to do it.
                            Last edited by chubbinius; 03-17-2020, 07:39 AM.
                            1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                            -Dauntless 350 V8
                            -D27 front/D44 rear
                            2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• Rusty76
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 15, 2018

Hi thanks for the tip. Called Partsdude today. They don't have the board for my 76.
                              Too bad that would have been perfect. I think I'm going to try and fix the pins.
                              Found a great thread about using super small screws to act as pins.

I started separating the front light wiring from the engine bay wires.
                              The organization was a big help is thinking I just might pull this off.
                              With lots of help from this forum. Which I'm lucky to have found.
                              Stay healthy everybody.
                              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X