• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLguthrie
    232 I6
    • Feb 18, 2018

Carb Flooding

I put a brand new carb 2150 on my 83 J10 360 4speed about 2 years ago, has been driving fine however this morning I was running a little late so I drove it harder than I had before 75mphish....

Anyway pulling into to work it kinda just died...thought ...... hhhmmmm never done that before, when I checked it the choke appeared closed so I thought that was it.....12hrs later after I got off found out gas was coming out the 2 top ports and front center port.....I blew it back with an air line and limped home not gettin on it, on my last turn...I opened it up and boom...flooding again...any insights?

Anthony
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Who did the "brand new rebuild"? If it's a rebuilt bought from a parts chain store. It was rebuilt in Mexico. Actually just reassembled in MX. When they disassemble them for rebuilding/cleaning they save all the old decent parts and after cleaning reuse the old parts if they can. I'd guess your float is hanging up or the float needle is worn and not seating fully.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• FLguthrie
      232 I6
      • Feb 18, 2018

Carb Flooding

bought whole unit New from National Carb in Jacksonville, has always idled a little high but OK.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

I'd still check the float system. Look for sinking float, damaged needle tip. Also look for crud deposits in the float bowl. Snot looking goop or sugary white hard deposits are prolly from E10 government gas gone bad. Hopefully it's just a worn needle tip cause those white E10 deposits are a bear to clean off.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

Probably a sticking or binding float. They definitely should not do that.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• FLguthrie
            232 I6
            • Feb 18, 2018

Flooding

Thanks I plan on taking it apart tomorrow to check the float system however like I said I got it in stuck by blowing air through it to free the float and needle valve and I drove it home easily it worked just fine but when I got on it hard that's when it stuck to the accelerator pump be causing it to flood out also?

Thx

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

If it is "new" probably piss poor cheapnese copy.
              I'd see about a return/refund.
              A brand new carb. once dialed in should be problem free for years.
              Opening it up will likely void any warranty.

If it's flooding out constantly you're gonna take a lot of life from your motor from being repeatedly flushed with gas.
              If stuck with it buy a rebuild kit and replace the needle/seat, accel pump diaphragm etc.

I have seen a lot of bad opinions of the "new" cheapnese motorcraft carbs.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

If gas was coming out of the bowl vents on top, that's unquestionably a stuck float.

I have found that the 2100/2150 float will stick open if the adjustment tang on the float is not perfectly perpendicular with the float valve. Float level is adjusted by bending the tang. You need to pay attention to this angle when you adjust the float. Possible your builder was sloppy or overlooked this issue.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 79 Wolfpack
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 30, 2015

Trash entering the carb causing the float valve to hang open . When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?
                  79 Cherokee wt
                  AMC 360 10:1
                  t18 4speed sold
                  74 Cherokee nt plow
                  Stock 360 th400 Sold
                  AMC powered jet boat

Comment

I agree it may be filter (3 line in correct position?) or foam floats are sinking from fuel in your area.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• FLguthrie
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 18, 2018

Flooding

Took it back to National Carb, they replaced the Power Valve, Cleaned it due to contamination and changed gaskets.. I can't remember if I had changed the Filters AND cleaned my tank before or after buying the Carb, I've changed 2 filters back then so now I've put a new filtering along with a CLEAR bowled filter ahead of the factory one to see if I am getting any contaminents.... Runs like a top now... National Carb here in Jacksonville was GREAT, 1 day service.

Thanks for responding
                      Last edited by FLguthrie; 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X