• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trooper13
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 29, 2016

Transmission fluid cooler needed??

Hi there,

My son rear ended someone in my '88 GW and wrecked the grill, A/C condenser, transmission cooler, and radiator.

A/C didn't work anyway, so was not too worried about that. But since I had to get a new radiator anyway, I went with a heavy duty, 3 row. Takes up more room than the stock one, but fits OK.

Since I now have a larger radiator, do I even still need the extra transmission cooler? Or will running it just through the radiator do the job? I don't know if the extra cooler is stock or an add on/upgrade. I won't be towing anything if that matters.

Thanks!!
    '88 GW w/reman Jasper 360
    Howell EFI
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

If you're not doing hard towing the add on cooler is a waste of time.

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

Yes, factory cooler in the radiator is fine for normal driving.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

my take on this subject is an external cooler is a must, when you see how high the temp can go with an external cooler, and how slow the transmission oil temp decrease on a 3 mile downhill after a 3 mile uphill, I am seriously thinking of bypassing the built in radiator coolant fof the straight external cooler.

Remember that vehicules are built to sustain their reliability not further than the covered warranty.
        Last edited by letank; 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

An external cooler is cheap insurance to keep an old tranny happier/longer.
          Way cheaper than repairing one after overheating fluid.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

Aren't they like less than $20 and they even include zip ties to mount in front of your radiator?
            87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Trooper13
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 29, 2016

Originally posted by ShagWagon
              Aren't they like less than $20 and they even include zip ties to mount in front of your radiator?
              Yeah, they are pretty cheap. It's not the money. I figured it would just be one less thing that can leak if I didn't need to use that cooler.
              '88 GW w/reman Jasper 360
              Howell EFI

Comment

• 440sixpack
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 21, 2016

Everyone knows more than the manufacturer it's always been that way.

Ditch the cooler if you're not heavy towing it's as necessary as most of the other JC Whitney treasures.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                  All Makes Combined
                  • Jun 30, 2003

It depends on where you live. Down here where it regularly gets over 85*F, and pushing around 32" tires, I would definitely recommend it.

I have an 8-pass tranny cooler (with a 14" pusher fan on top of it) and a tranny temp gauge, and the cooler has made all the difference on warm days.

If you don't believe me, hook up a gauge or get an infrared thermometer and check the lines for yourself after a lot of stop-and-go or uphill freeway driving on a warm day: you'll find uncomfortably high temps, like I did.
                  Rob
                  1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                  Click for video

Comment

• Fasts79Chief
                    232 I6
                    • May 09, 2018

Always. Regardless of if you tow, or heavy loads, or whtever ... a trans cooler is mandatory on older vehicles in my opinion ... if you want your trans to live.

It's not a 'belt and suspenders' approach ... it's your pants.
                    1979 Cherokee Chief S
                    Saxon Yellow
                    360, TH400, Edelbrock everything, 33 x 10.50 x 15
                    Loaded
                    Will let you know when I know what else it has. lol

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

i usually bypass the rad cooler and just run an aux. cooler.
                      Originally posted by Hankrod
                      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tarriverarms
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 21, 2016

I thought the external cooler was stock? Getting ready to replace mine as the fins are loose and flimsy. Well actually going to repair AC and since the radiator has a busted weld on the mounting bracket I am going to replace all three coolers.

Is there one anyone can suggest or recommend over the other?

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

stock on the tow package,as i recall. any of the hayden aftermarket are good.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• mattmopar440
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
                            i usually bypass the rad cooler and just run an aux. cooler.
                            Same that way engine temp doesnt effect the transmission temp and if a external breaks u have a small fluid leak and if an internal breaks your normally looking at a transmission
                            87' Grand Wagoneer
                            401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                            84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                            80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                            74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                            Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                            Inferior Chevy

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                              If you don't believe me, hook up a gauge or get an infrared thermometer and check the lines for yourself after a lot of stop-and-go or uphill freeway driving on a warm day: you'll find uncomfortably high temps, like I did.
                              Where did you hook up your gauge sensor? Trans pan? Cooler input? cooler output?
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X