• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyro
    258 I6
    • Sep 15, 2012

Fuel bobber fell in the tank

Tried duct tape on a stick, clothes hanger, a grabbing tool (too small). anyone else run into this? UGH!!!
    Last edited by pyro; 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM.
    '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!
  • Rich88
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by pyro
    Tried duct tape on a stick, clothes hanger, a grabbing tool (too small). anyone else run into this? UGH!!!
    If you mean the sender float, then no......but if it did, I'd run to my computer and order another sender from BJs immediately.

Only alternative is to rip out the gas tank, figure out how to empty it without causing a hazmat situation, turn it upside down and have fun getting it to roll out the sender opening.
    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• pyro
      258 I6
      • Sep 15, 2012

Originally posted by Rich88
      If you mean the sender float, then no......but if it did, I'd run to my computer and order another sender from BJs immediately.

Only alternative is to rip out the gas tank, figure out how to empty it without causing a hazmat situation, turn it upside down and have fun getting it to roll out the sender opening.
      i did order a new one from bj's, however in order to return the old one (w the now missing bobber) it has to be "complete". the tank is out and i tried the shaking method.
      '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
      '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• Blue88
        232 I6
        • Sep 10, 2012

Tank dry or wet? Dry I might try a shop vac, given itsa poly tank. Wet, fill it up a little at a time, try to work it towards the sending unit hole? Was it still floating?
        88 Grand Wagoneer, 360,727, 229, 3.31 dana 44s. TFI conversion. 2 inch rough country spring/block lift. Pátina and faded wood grain.

Comment

• pyro
          258 I6
          • Sep 15, 2012

its still got a little bit of gas in it...not completely empty
          '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
          '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Patience grasshopper...keep fishing. It went in there, it'll come out. Sorry no quick internet downloadable click here app avail. As an addendum, don't fish with anything you could lose and compromise the fishing hole. AKA duct tape...seriously?
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• pyro
              258 I6
              • Sep 15, 2012

put a few gallons back in and dumped it out and the Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogleyed thing shot right out. thanks again everyone for the suggestions...now for those rusted filler casing screws in the bed...
              '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
              '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

Comment

• JP
                Where horseshoes are not a game
                • Dec 12, 2012

Lol. You better have that thing running enough to drive it to the shop. If I have to come flatbed your butt at dawn your coming to shop day! Its your baby but how am Isupposed to trust you with it if your fishing for bobbers instead of with one..

Glad you got it out. Lol.

JP
                THIS RESTORATION WILL BE THE MOST DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE THING I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED TO ACCOMPLISH HONEY, I SWEAR!!!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

83 Cherokee
                resto thread:
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=162358

Comment

• racegas
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 15, 2012

Shop vac and gas....

Don't ever do it. End of discussion. Fumes hit electric motor of vac. There are sparks in there. Enough said.
                  'Robert E Lee'
                  89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 16, 2009

Shop vac and gas

Originally posted by racegas
                    Don't ever do it. End of discussion. Fumes hit electric motor of vac. There are sparks in there. Enough said.
                    X2

Take from me...I have seen the carnage...I work for a vacuum cleaner co.
                    Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

• Billygoat
                      304 AMC
                      • Mar 16, 2004

Yeah those things fall out, and every plastic one I have is half full of gas (anyone have any extra brass ones around?)

Any way, glad you got it out, I use a 1/2" wide thin alum bar bent into a hook.
                      I need to drop my tanks again and see if my fell out or filled up again....

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

You can buy another one.

Look at Ford sites - they sell brass floats there.
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• WHSII
                          Hack-Priss
                          • Feb 06, 2010

I lost one once in my J10 before restoration, I had a solid plastic carb float that I wired onto the wire that the float attached to.

It worked great for five years or more. New sending unit installed now.

If this one sinks, I will look for the hard foam float type material, problem solved.
                          WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                          Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• svining
                            350 Buick
                            • May 16, 2011

The Truth Hurts....

My fuel tank has a water logged brass float in the bottom and a plastic one floating in there somewhere. Their still in there... no problems so far....if I remove the tank for something I'll get them!

Originally posted by WHSII
                            I lost one once in my J10 before restoration, I had a solid plastic carb float that I wired onto the wire that the float attached to.

It worked great for five years or more. New sending unit installed now.

If this one sinks, I will look for the hard foam float type material, problem solved.
                            Flashlight
                            "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
                            1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
                            Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

I bent 2 coat hangers into a folding "net" and fished it out. Looked similar to the grilled cheese sandwich, etc campfire cooker I made years ago.
                              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                              X