• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xabn82
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2016

1973 J4000

My Dad bought this truck used in 1981, I drove it home from the used car lot. We kept the truck in the family until my Dad bought a nicer 1982 J20. He sold the 1973 to his best friend around 1988. The last time I saw the truck was 1991. The transmission went out in the 73 so Mike, my Dads best friend bought a 1976 J20 just for the 4speed. The donor truck was beat up pretty bad. Mike eventually bought a new Ford truck and gave the Jeep to his son in law. The son in law, Travis was gonna make a mud truck out of it. He started tearing stuff off of the truck, but lost interest. I out of the blue call up to see if the truck was still at Mikes daughters house and she said it was. The last time I saw the truck was 1991. I bought the J4000 and J20 donor truck a couple years ago. I?ve got both torn down to the frame. I?m wanting to make a nice driver out of it with modern drivetrain, 4 wheel disc brakes, A/C. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures. I?ve tried from my phone, pictures are too big or something.
    1973 J4000

Comment

• Rod2
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 11, 2004

I started driving a GP in the late '40s/early '50s on the 100 acre plot my family lived on in my early teens. A brother-in-law brought this WWII refugee to the farm and turned me loose on it. I wasn't a legal driver yet, but I put a bunch o' miles on that thing off-road. I could drive it to the highway where I caught the school bus, then drive it back home to chores and such. There was a creek with a swimming hole on the back boundary of the land that would welcome me, and I used the Jeep to get me to it when opportunity arose. But the GP went away, the farm was abandoned, and I got older.
      Fast forward 30 years and I find myself the owner of a new home with a heat pump and a fireplace. Immediately, I want firewood. By then, GM, Ford, and Chrysler had gone wimpy, I thought, so I looked for and found a '68 J10, 327 3-speed that I drove 'til '88 when I sold it for $500 and traded a '66 Malibu for the current '73. I've been a Jeep fan and user a long time.
      Rod Skaggs
      '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• Gladiator4x4
        232 I6
        • Apr 20, 2018

FSJ>everything

I have really enjoyed reading these, mine will be kinda long as well.

I am an FSJ'er because my dad had a qt wagonner that just wouldn't quit. We did a lot of hiking trips when I was younger and one stands out. We had two vehicles heading in and the other rig couldn't handle the old two track. So we wadded up in the wagon, three in front, three in back, us kids in the cargo area and two more guys standing on the folded down tailgate holding on to the roof rack. Made it all the way in and back RIP muffler. After that I was in love with Jeeps.

When I turned 16 I found a 66 J3000 that needed a lot of work and paid too much to get it simply because it was a Jeep and a Truck, I couldn't think of a better combo than that. I learned everything in that truck, how to drive stick, how to offroad and how to fix your own machine.

Best thing about FSJ's

Simple design and real steel in all the parts. I had a 13 Tundra for a while and when I hit an antelope with it I could not believe how much of that "truck" was plastic. I went on a quest for an old jeep shortly after that.

How long have I been an FSJ'er

Off and on for 20 years now. My first rig had the old Kaiser 327, scarcity of parts and not enough knowledge on my part led me to sell it. I wished for years I hadn't and looked for that truck long after I sold it. After my Tundra debaucle I found a 78 J20 that has become my new project. Not 2 weeks after I bought that truck I found my old 66 a few blocks from house in some guys yard waitin for attention. I bought it again and my son and I are going to go through it over the next few years before he turns 16. My first jeep will be his first and that hits me right in the feels.

Perfect FSJ?
        Manual transmission and a clunky V8 you can feel runnin through the floorboards. Don't forget low gears and posi front and back.

Comment

• JohnnyJ
          258 I6
          • Jan 21, 2001

Why are you a FSJer?
          My Grandfather worked for Willys, and then Kaiser before he passed in the late 60s; so lots of family stories. That set the foundation.

After college, my friends and I would go camping and we all had small cars. The Wagoneer was awesome to load up friends and camping gear and head out. Those memories made me keep my 75 Wagoneer.

What's the best thing about FSJs?

How little they changed from start of production until it ended. They induce a nostalgia.

How long have you been a FSJer (can be before you got one but it's the moment you decided, "FSJs are where it's at")?

I remember them from an early age, but I remember really thinking they were cool when I was about 16 and pulled up next to one that was fresh off the lot, with the window sticker still on it. It was cream colored Grand Wag and looked so nice. This was around 1989.

In 1997 I was looking for a weekend warrior, and found my 75 Wagoneer. That was in the early days of the FSJ-List and I was amazed at how many people had them, the amount of info, and the free sharing of info. The community was great and helped me learn tons about my rig.

Describe the perfect FSJ...

I'd likely have a fleet of them given enough time, money, and space.

Current dream: Wagoneer with wide track flares, 37" tires, heavier running gear, modern drivetrain. I'm not Mopar fan, so I'd rather an LS than a Hemi.

Something of a mix of the Team Trail Tested 69 Wagoneer, ICON's Grand Wagoneer, and handful of other clean restomods.

I love the Prerunner J-trucks, like the Save Bud truck and others like it.

What's the best song/music to drive your FSJ to (driving can be commuting, road tripping, rock crawling, overlanding, wrenching, etc.)?

When I first got my 75 Wag, we used to play a CD full of Rockabilly/Old Country music. Seemed to fit.
          Past Project: Stock Class TREC Racer Build Thread
          Current project: bringing back my 75 Wagoneer

Comment

• cma
            350 Buick
            • Jan 26, 2012

Here is my Story

Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
            X