new dual snorkle air cleaner: how to route new vacuum hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by Ristow

FSJunkie thinks open element air cleaners are the best thing for making power. but i think they're horrible.
    Oh yeah. Open element air cleaners give you like 20 horsepower over a snorkel type stock one. You just obviously don't know what you are talking about. Every Chevrolet at a car show has an open element air cleaner, so that much mean they are the best. Everybody knows that an unlimited flow of hot air is how you make an engine run the best.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• mattmopar440
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • May 17, 2007

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

its all about how much HP your making and this video doesn't take into effect underhood temps tho
        87' Grand Wagoneer
        401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
        84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
        80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
        74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
        Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Inferior Chevy

Comment

• FSJunkie
          • Jan 09, 2011

That is an interesting video but there are several real-world factors missing as you mentioned one already.

1. Different temperatures in different parts of the engine compartment.

2. Airflow over the carbruetor from the engine fan and vehicle speed. The dyno engine did not have a fan. They already proved that the direction the air flows into the carbruetor has a big effect on power. An open element air cleaner that does not shield the carburetor from those air currents might have an effect.

3. I hope they made sure the thermostatic doors in that Chrysler dual snorkel air cleaner were not stuck in the hot air position. They're smart guys so they probably did.

It is also worth noting that few people on this Jeep forum have AMC V8s making more than 300 horsepower in the same dyno conditions outlined in that video, and every air cleaner they tested did not start to restrict performance until 300 horsepower and above.

If anybody has any suspicion that their single snorkel air cleaner is restricting their power, just flip the lid over and go for a test drive. See if you notice a difference. They showed in the video that a flipped lid on a stock air cleaner is capable of supporting a massive amount of power.

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

After watching that video I'm now going to cut a hole in my hood and stick a salad bowl on top of the carburetor.
            '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Crankyolman
              After watching that video I'm now going to cut a hole in my hood and stick a salad bowl on top of the carburetor.
              Part of me wants to laugh because that sounds so silly. Then I realized last time you wrote something I thought it was a silly idea (4 headlights) I totally ate crow because it was awesome.

I do plan on doing a pseudo salad bowl install when I do my EFI install. Something like this:
              Homemade TBI Salad bowl
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                Part of me wants to laugh because that sounds so silly. Then I realized last time you wrote something I thought it was a silly idea (4 headlights) I totally ate crow because it was awesome.

I do plan on doing a pseudo salad bowl install when I do my EFI install. Something like this:
                Homemade TBI Salad bowl
                Seriously doubt a setup like that would fit. Engines sit high in these. The stocker TBI spacer is about all you?ll fit in there.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang

Homemade TBI Salad bowl
                  I was just joking about that but I do tend to do a lot of goofy things, mostly involving apples, or other types of fruit but it all tends to overflow into pretty much everything with me. Because I want my truck to look pretty much original I will not be replacing the breather with a salad bowl or cutting a hole in the hood. If I had a rat rod or something with a hole or scoop already, hell yes I would. Before I changed the grill out I was considering fabricating a ram air duct on the bottom of the hood that would utilize the gap between the filler at the front and the hood to funnel cold air to the engine. With the rhino grill that is no longer a very practical option and I am perfectly happy with the performance of my engine except for the heat soaking problem these older AMCs tend to suffer from.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                    I was just joking about that but I do tend to do a lot of goofy things, mostly involving apples, or other types of fruit but it all tends to overflow into pretty much everything with me. Because I want my truck to look pretty much original I will not be replacing the breather with a salad bowl or cutting a hole in the hood. If I had a rat rod or something with a hole or scoop already, hell yes I would. Before I changed the grill out I was considering fabricating a ram air duct on the bottom of the hood that would utilize the gap between the filler at the front and the hood to funnel cold air to the engine. With the rhino grill that is no longer a very practical option and I am perfectly happy with the performance of my engine except for the heat soaking problem these older AMCs tend to suffer from.
                    There is room in cowl to add a cold air inlet, if core support/valance isn't what you want to cut into.
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      • Jan 09, 2011

You can do what I do in the summer.

Screw-clamp 3" corrugated metal duct from ACE Hardware onto your stock air cleaner and route it under the front bumper with baling wire to hold it in place.

It's redneck but it works and I don't want to make any permanent modifications to my Jeep or its air cleaner. I have an early air cleaner with the round snorkel that was never designed to have a plastic duct on it like the later air cleaners did.

It seriously works. Hot summer days with the A/C on used to cause some rough idle/vapor lock problems when I didn't have "redneck duct". No such problems with "redneck duct". I figured out to put a mesh screen over the end of the duct after I filled my air cleaner with locust parts. I take the duct off in winter.

Yes, babywag, I hear you, "TBI don't have that problem". I know that. I'd rather just clamp a duct onto my air cleaner though and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X