• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman42
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2019

Hold your tongue & say polish it!

Trying to polish roof rails on my '85 . watched several videos re polishing aluminum but having probs getting a good shine and when i'm more aggressive w grit spots start showing up? is it possible these are aluminum with a chrome plate? opinions appreciated.
    Easy doesn't do it!!
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Yes, the rails are anodized and can look kind of funky after years.
    Try this one, my father works in the ship yard sweeping up ashes.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• jeepman42
      232 I6
      • Mar 13, 2019

aluminum rails

thanks for the reply.
      think I'll polish as I can &call it a day. new decal strips will make up for lack of shine.
      good one on the tongue twister!
      Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

If you have a lot of time to use up, you can strip off the anodizing with easy off oven cleaner. Then polish all of it to a nice shine, then coat it with cerakote MC160 gloss clear after a stout degreasing. It is not paint. It is the toughest coating on earth. Easy to apply and does not require a catalyst. I bought a very expensive spray gun for it. But discovered Preval disposable sprayers. Super cheap and works like a high end spray gun. Even a monkey could do it. Cerakote just came out with a new coating for aluminum and magnesium that is even better. I use their trim coat for rubber type trim and just obtained a headlight restoration kit recently that is a do it once and be done with it thing. All others need reapplying. Anyway, another way to get good results without having to pay for an anodizing recoat. Strip it, polish it, and coat it.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• RM45acp
          232 I6
          • Apr 12, 2017

I've had really good experiences with Eagle One chrome polish when it comes to my grill and rails, except that I have to re-do it about once a year. Not a big problem since I never get to drive it while I'm on the road for work
          1979 Cherokee NT, my beautiful two door chariot. 360/T18/D20, she's a work in progress

1991 Silverado ECSB, waiting on an LS swap from my lazy ass since it caught fire, maybe one day it'll pull my camper again

Comment

• jeepman42
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2019

Thanks for info Kaiser Jeep &RMS45
            Will look into ceracote products & Eagle one chrome polish
            (At 77 I don't know if I have spare time or not? LOL)
            Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

I powder coated the grill on my build a while ago with a prismatic chrome silver. It came out beautiful with a peal hint to it. Depending on time and funds you could try that. It would be less work just a few more bucks. I think the shop that coated my grill got the powder from eastwood. But several companies have the chrome like finish. It is a subtle shine and not super bright. This came to mind after reading the updates here.
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
              X