What electric fuel pump on a swapped 4.0 HO (carbed)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yuza
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 13, 2019

What electric fuel pump on a swapped 4.0 HO (carbed)?

Hi all, I am running a 4.0 HO in my '79 Cherokee, paired with the stock Carter BBD carb and intake manifold (was a 4.2)
    I currently have an electric fuel pump which started making a grinding noise after having run out of fuel a couple of times, probably it sucked some debris from the tank, and I am considering to replace it
    What brand/model do you suggest?
    Would you recommend a fuel pressure regulator to be added eventually?
    Thanks
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Holley red fuel pump( there rebuildable too), and add a fuel pressure regulator just to make sure you do not flood the carb floats with to much pressure.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

I too used the Holley red fuel pump years ago when I first got our wagon. Did not use a regulator, but probably a good idea.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

just my two cents worth,....

I went through several elec. fuel pumps on a 1978 blazer with a newer crate 350

until a red Holley elect pump was installed,....

that was 10 years ago,......it is a dang good pump

it is loud as heck, but reliable.

dave in NC
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• Yuza
          230 Tornado
          • Apr 13, 2019

Thanks all, where can I buy it online (with postage to Italy at a reasonable price)?

Comment

• SOLSAKS
            304 AMC
            • Jul 25, 2016

summit

or

jeg's

my first guesses.

dave in NC
            SOLSAKS - dave
            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
            1982 J-10 Fleetside
            1988 grand wagoneer
            2004 RUBICON jeep
            Benson, NC

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

on last project, I used this edelbrock, it is small and fit neatly against the inner fender, it is wrapped with some plastic so it is not transmitting vibrations , at $60 you can buy 2 and have a back up....

Free Shipping - Edelbrock Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pumps with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Pumps at Summit Racing.

the red one on the right side of the pict or the driver' side of the beep

the fuel pressure for the 6cyl should be 4 to 5 psi, the v8 requires a bit higher at 5 to 6.5psi, I had failing pump and I was running the V8 with 2 psi on a electric fuel pump, of course the engine was not happy at freeway speed

check all the specs on the TSM page 1J9 of the 79 TSM

Edit: as Tim says below, I have used the carter and still have them on 2 beeps, they work well, have a vivration free bracket, ref p4070 IIRC
              Last edited by letank; 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM.
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• DBX11
                258 I6
                • May 18, 2009

I gotta a Holley red top on the wag 360 it is loud. It has a pressure gauge that reads around 6psi till the engine bay heats up and I have no return line

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Back in the day, the Carter universal rotary vane pumps were popular. They are fairly quiet. The Carter mechanical pumps don't seem to be as high a quality today as they were when cars used them, but the universal pumps may still be a quality part. 5-9 psi is a bit high for a carbureted car, but as above you can add a regulator to get the lower pressure spec'd for the BBD when it was current. Again, these would be available at Summit or Jegs.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Yuza
                    230 Tornado
                    • Apr 13, 2019

Thanks all
                    TSM says 4to5 psi and 1 pint/30 sec as volume. Is this equivalent to free flow rate?
                    If so, that is roughly 1lt per minute, all pumps on summit are rated in gph, how do you translate this?

Anyway, 60 bucks is not bad, but adding postage and a fuel pressure regulator (7 psi seems high to me), it becomes a bit expensive

The old lady is currently at the workshop to have a full carb rebuild, let’s see what is the response from the carbs magician about fuel delivery, maybe my pump is still good and just need a cleanup

Comment

• letank
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jun 03, 2002

no need for fuel pressure regulator, the pump is self regulating
                      Michel
                      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I have a Red Holley on one truck and a Holley Mighty Mite on the second. They both have been running for 5-6 years now. Look for a carb unit with 5-7 psi. Also, run a ground from the battery with the hot wire to the pump. Land the ground - wire at the pump- and ground both to a clean spot on the frame close to the pump. Nightmare stories related to Electric pumps are often related to bad grounds. Dont forget the power relay for the pump.

Comment

Working...
                        X