• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
    Well I would say the man hours are clearly worth!

Also the engine bay looks pretty darn tidy from this angle!

Really coming together, inspiring me to get back on it!
    Thank you, Taylor! Your house work inspires me to leave CA!
    Originally posted by bluehwy
    That's funny!!!
    It is! AND it jinxed me. More on that in #3 below.
    I have been traveling a lot and the son been driving it a lot so tasks have been lining up.

1) First on the docket, the tailgate window came out of the cross bar. That means it is a PITA to open/close the tailgate and I can hear the cross bar banging inside the tailgate when driving. I also saw a Dirt Everyday Extra where Fred Williams put his Wagoneer tailgate window down, then up, and I was in awe at how fast his window moved. Time for a motor rebuild. I gathered the spacers, lithium grease, and lift bar end knubs like Driftwood did in his awesome how-to:
    Driftwood's Tailgate electrical/mechanical repair thread
    It went exactly like his so I am only going to post my carnage pics. When I opened the gear box, it looked like someone went in and lubed it with some moly recently (not me).

Then I opened it up further and found this dumpster fire!

HAHAHAHA!!! Cleaned it all up with some alcohol and break-clean, lubed it up with lithium, and put it all back together. I also hit my electrical contacts with some emery cloth.

Moved on to the knubs at the end of the lift arms. Again, did it just like Driftwood. Here are mine:

I threw the lift mechanism back in the tailgate.
    I also ordered some window adhesive since the brand new rubber gasket thing in the lift channel did not hold my glass in the lift channel. I ordered this stuff:
    Amazon Beta Seal Glass Adhesive
    That stuff is GNARLY. Using an old school hand caulking gun to push it into the channel SUCKED because it is so thick and you really have to squeeze hard. I let the window dry overnight and hope to install it today.

2) Next, installing lift springs I bought on Craigslist a few months ago. They are Rancho 44044 and are supposed to be 2.5" springs. First thing I did was pressure wash them and hit them with a quick wire wheel.Then I sprayed them with some high gloss black.

I let them dry for a few months (really was waiting on back ordered U-Bolts) then lubed them up. I did this by driving a chisel between the leafs, pulling out the anti-squeak pad, coating it in grease and sticking it back in.

Yes, I greased both sides. Threw them under my truck without much drama.
    Before

After

Before

After

They netted me about 3.75" of lift. I am hoping the will setting a good inch over the next couple months. I need to have my front driveshaft lengthened now, too. My front shocks also now interfere with the shock tower. I will probably cut the shroud off the shock and put a rubber boot on instead. Pictures in the next post.

3) Next up: Son got pulled over for driving with passengers (in CA you can;t have passengers for the first year you drive when under the age of 18) and he was on a dirt road he should not have been. Luckily my registration was expired (face palm). Since I have had so much travel and COVID craziness, I have not smogged it yet. So that starts now. I paid the registration in April but it is not complete until I smog it. I am 2 weeks late. I am hoping if I walk in to court with the receipt showing I paid it and a successful smog check, he will write the registration ticket off.

To get through smog=exhaust manifolds back on, Duraspark back on, hide the 401 badge on the grill (my truck is supposed to have a 360), open element air cleaner instead of the dual snorkel, and stock 2.5" Y-pipe. That's alot more work than it sounds like. it's also going to cost me $75 cuz I had to buy an open element air cleaner and will need to order another set of Remflex header gaskets. This is will be the last time I need to smog it becuae next time, I will be living in Idaho!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
      My front shocks also now interfere with the shock tower. I will probably cut the shroud off the shock and put a rubber boot on instead.

After the shackle reversal, I ended up clocking my shock mounts with the top going rearward to accommodate. That meant using the centered lower hole which is on a bend. Not optimal but eh, it's a shock, not a coil over. It'll be fine. And it is. Lol. Try doing that before tearing your shock apart.
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

What did you use to replace the bushing crumbs in the tailgate motor? That's what mine looked like.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
          After the shackle reversal, I ended up clocking my shock mounts with the top going rearward to accommodate. That meant using the centered lower hole which is on a bend. Not optimal but eh, it's a shock, not a coil over. It'll be fine. And it is. Lol. Try doing that before tearing your shock apart.
          Ah! That makes perfect sense (after our text exchange, LOL)! I will try it and post pics. Working on smog stuff right now, though.
          Originally posted by SJTD
          What did you use to replace the bushing crumbs in the tailgate motor? That's what mine looked like.
          I used 3 nylon spacers and filled it up with white lithium grease. If you go to the link where Driftwood did his, he does a great job showing how its done. I have one nylon spacer left (if you want it, PM me, I put up a link for it: free spacer link)
          Last edited by rang-a-stang; 08-03-2020, 01:01 PM.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

sorry...
            forgot to warn ya about urethane joys.
            gotta eat your wheaties to apply it and MESSY don't even come close to describing the stuff.
            ah good times don't miss having to do windshields!!
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Driftwood
              350 Buick
              • Jun 12, 2000

Then I opened it up further and found this dumpster fire!

HAHAHAHA!!!
              Glad you got the tailgate motor rebuild done!
              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2000

2) Next, installing lift springs I bought on Craigslist a few months ago. They are Rancho 44044 and are supposed to be 2.5" springs.
                The difference is amazing!

It looks like a Gasser now!

Did you replace just the front springs?

Is a dropped pitman arm required? I got one somewhere in the garage.
                1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

I turned down some urethane bushings on the lathe to fit. You didn't mention what you did (or I missed it) so that was my tactful way of saying "you didn't put it back together without something in there did you?"
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bluehwy
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 28, 2014

CHP has to regain lost revenue for those few months CA roads were virtually empty.

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                      sorry...
                      forgot to warn ya about urethane joys.
                      gotta eat your wheaties to apply it and MESSY don't even come close to describing the stuff.
                      ah good times don't miss having to do windshields!!
                      Good description. Pretty much spot on in every regard. Do you know if the whole tube is going to harden now that it is opened? It kind of feels like it did...
                      Originally posted by Driftwood
                      Glad you got the tailgate motor rebuild done!
                      Wouldn't have even tried it if it weren't for your How-To thread and fantastic pics!
                      Originally posted by Driftwood
                      The difference is amazing!
                      It looks like a Gasser now!
                      Did you replace just the front springs?
                      Is a dropped pitman arm required? I got one somewhere in the garage.
                      Hahaha! It does look kinda gasser'esque! I hope that changes. A slight nose up attitude is OK, but this is pretty extreme.
                      I had replaced my brakes lines when I swapped chassis's with longer ones so I was good there. I have not replaced my Pitman arm. I need to look into that. I will also need to lengthen my front driveshaft. I already am in contact with Bud (J20 Project), who built my current shaft, for some options. Other than that, all I did was replace springs and U-Bolts.
                      Originally posted by SJTD
                      I turned down some urethane bushings on the lathe to fit. You didn't mention what you did (or I missed it) so that was my tactful way of saying "you didn't put it back together without something in there did you?"
                      I bought these springs used and they had the original Rancho red urethane bushings already installed. They just bolted into my rig. I hope I didn't miss anything...
                      Originally posted by bluehwy
                      CHP has to regain lost revenue for those few months CA roads were virtually empty.
                      Hahaha! Painfully true!
                      Been putting on my Smog legal clothes lately. Nothing exciting; I wasn't even going to post on it but then I changed my mind.
                      I forgot how ginormous, heavy, and ugly these manifolds are, and how obnoxious the air injection manifolds are. I don't need the air injection so I am just going to cap the check valves and call it done. Then, after smog, I am giving my manifolds to another member who needs them.

I also forgot how bad it sucks trying to hook up #6 and #8's spark plug wires around the heater box with the air injection tubes on. GGrrrrr..... My hand is still sore. Notice how dirty my engine is these days. That's because it's being used/driven. I actually like it.

Installed a freshly painted distributor with a freshly painted vacuum can that I got from Johnsonic (CA smog laws say you can't have computer controlled ignition; you have to have the original vacuum control/mechanical and Duraspark). The thing that sucks about this is I usually like to have the #1 post pointed at #1 cylinder and normally I can do that since there is no vacuum can on my normal dizzy. With this vacuum can installed, I have to rotate the dizzy about 120 degrees to clear the power steering pump bracket which makes all my ignition wire routing messed up. Some wires are super taught and some are loose. Annoying. You can also see the stupid open element air filter I have to have.

Lastly, I am installing my factory tiny Y-pipe. I had to weld on the Oxygen sensor bung. I am a TERRIBLE welder so when I got done and cleaned all the slag off the weld, I was super proud of myself becuase there were no holes in my weld! WOOO HOOO!!! then I picked it up to install it and noticed this:

For those that folks as smart as me, what you see here is my flange is downstream of my bung.
                      So I got to cut the pipe downstream of the bung, remove the flange, weld the pipe back together. Then, cut the pipe upstream of the bung, install the flange, and weld it back together. Killed a solid 45 minutes but I got lots more practice welding so that's good. The whole exhuast is back on and done.

Today I have to fab a mount for my "Duraspark" that I got from Babywag, and remount my coil. I also need to route the vacuum lines for the EGR and try to find the EGR CTO in my parts stash, a place to install the EGR CTO, and then go run a smog BIN. I hope to try my initial smog check on Friday.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

Man you guys and your California smog BS! I'd never live in a state that sucks like that!

Fred
                        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• FleetFox
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 04, 2018

I have so been there on the bung SNAFU.. so laser focused on not screwing up the main task you get the tunnel vision. Having said that, as i get older analysis paralysis has become a bigger problem in some ways.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I spend a lot of time on the West Coast for work and the environment is beautiful. Weather is great and you have almost every climate! The politics, taxes and regulation ruin it. Dont tell me that I cant have a straw-Damit!!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bkilby
                              Man you guys and your California smog BS! I'd never live in a state that sucks like that!

Fred
                              Ha! Ain't that the truth, Fred. We have great weather here, though. Good for cruising vintage Mopars and Hemi powered FSJs. But not so much for Smogging.
                              Originally posted by FleetFox
                              I have so been there on the bung SNAFU.. so laser focused on not screwing up the main task you get the tunnel vision. Having said that, as i get older analysis paralysis has become a bigger problem in some ways.

Fleet Fox
                              Truth right there. Wife says I am "Hyper focused". She says that is why she won't come hang out with me because I am "so hyper focused we can't even have a conversation." Poor me.
                              Originally posted by rocklaurence
                              I spend a lot of time on the West Coast for work and the environment is beautiful. Weather is great and you have almost every climate! The politics, taxes and regulation ruin it. Don't tell me that I cant have a straw-Damit!!
                              Truth. Deep seeded Truth. Less than 2 years until I can have a straw at a restaurant, buy ammo without a backgroud check, and leave my headers on!
                              I have said many times, I am a terrible welder. I am also not a very good fabricator. It took me 5 hours to build this stupid bracket. However, when WW3 hits and my house gets nuked, this bracket will be the last thing left of my truck.

Look at the mess I made of my desk during that 5 hours. (face palm)

The bracket cost me basically nothing to make. I used scraps I had saved over time. It's stout! Here it is installed with module under the Duraspark cover:

And finally here it is all put together. This is what my engine will look like for the smog tech. I have not hooked up EGR vacuum signal yet but its all there. I want to drive it with the stock exhaust to make sure the tune is OK before I hook up the EGR.

This is kinda funny too. I added a drain plug to my trans pan last time I tried to seal it up. Since I am going to try to seal it up AGAIN, I drained the pan. Look how tiny this plug is!!

It took a good 30 minutes to drain! hahaha! I got what I paid for!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                                258 I6
                                • Dec 17, 2018

Awesome stuff Rang! Well maybe not since its all smog stuff

Anywho, I sympathize with the wife in the garage. I love having her there and she enjoys being out there too. But i do seem to get less done on the account of talking too much
                                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                                "Soon" is a relative term.
                                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

Working...
                                X