• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

How to replace the door handle return spring

So every since I've owned my rig, other than the phantom door lock drop, the thing that really annoys me is that the inside handle on the driver side door has a bad/broken return spring. If you don't physically push the handle forward after the door is opened, the door will fly back open while driving when someone unsuspecting gets behind the wheel (like a friend).

1) How do I access this spring
    2) Can it be replaced with something OEM or similar?

Thanks
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

• dbuie
    258 I6
    • Jun 29, 2009

I wish you had posted this several days ago while I had my pass door torn apart and then I would've been glad to help you better. But, based on memory you will have to take the inside panel off. Raise window if not already raised. Then loosen the torx bits on the outside of the door. Then you should be able to reach in there and see how it all fits together. Wish I could help you more but that's the best I can do from memory. While you're at it, lube the heck out of everything that moves. I did this on mine and now all door functions are smooth. Could be your problem.
    1989 GW-Resto Project
    My "Labor of Love"

Comment

• scotty1998
      350 Buick
      • Apr 21, 2008

Thanks for your help.

I know the spring is gone because I found little pieces of it in the bottom of the door when the rig was new (to me). I guess I was just wondering if there's an actual replacement spring you can buy or something that could be matched up.
      1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      Stock Everything

Comment

• Maryland Rick
        232 I6
        • Jan 15, 2007

Go to this site. Troubled Child sells the springs. I did mine last year. Not a real hard job.

Rick

Comment

• Thomas792
          327 Rambler
          • Sep 16, 2007

If you are talking about the spring that returns the handle to the forward position then below is for you. If you are talking about the spring that keeps the door from accidently locking the Troubled Child sells them with a nice write-up for most years.

I did mine a year ago but cannot remember all the details. I pulled my door apart and actually removed the bracket tha holds the little splined shaft with the bellcrank assembly and the arm (held together with screws as near as I can remember). Then I bent the little tabs straight that hold the U shaped bracket and surround the spring and splined shaft. Then I figured as best as I could how I wanted the shaft to line up and bent the coil spring flat at that spot (very stiff wire). I put the U shaped braket back on and bent the tabs back and reinstalled everything.
          1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
          Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Maryland Rick
            232 I6
            • Jan 15, 2007

Sorry..............I jumped the gun and thought that you meant the door lock spring.

Rick

Comment

• scotty1998
              350 Buick
              • Apr 21, 2008

No worries Rick. Yes, i was talking about the spring that returns the handle to the forward position but quite frankly I have the phantom drop lock syndrome on my passenger door so now I know where to get the retainers I think I just need to get inside the door and find out what I'm up against. Thanks for all your help guys.
              1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              Stock Everything

Comment

• jeepgirl
                232 I6
                • Aug 30, 2003

I found the broken pieces of my handle return spring in the bottom of my door. Anywhere to get replacement?

Thank you
                "Silly boys.. Jeeps are for girls!"

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"

Comment

• Dbshea
                  232 I6
                  • May 04, 2014

Originally posted by jeepgirl
                  I found the broken pieces of my handle return spring in the bottom of my door. Anywhere to get replacement?

Thank you
                  I just replaced mine with a junk yard donor, but for about 6 months my shade tree repair was to use an extra throttle return spring. I drilled two small holes about 1/8" apart under the striker on the back edge of the door (for one side of the spring to hook) and another about midway along the metal bar that connects the handle to the door mechanism. It wasn't the most beautiful thing in the world but it kept the door shut

Comment

• chrism
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 07, 2002

From what I understand you just need to replace the whole assembly. Mine is shot too on the driver side and I plan on getting in there and maybe swapping the driver side rear door assembly if they are similar while I look for a used part.
                    1979 Cherokee
                    1979 CJ-7

Comment

I found what looks like the right spring on an AMC parts website and I plan to order one to test, but it's not high on my list yet.
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Jwilly
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 27, 2015

If it is the correct one could we get some measurements from it? Mine are all broken/missing. I wanted to see if maybe they could be bought from a shop. Thanks

1988 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 03, 2011

Any new updates on these springs?
                          1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                          360 w/ MC 4350
                          All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
                          Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years

Comment

• Tripwire
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 30, 2000

I would be that you could take one from a rear door and use it on the front as the fronts see a helluva lot more wear than the rear ones
                            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• pyro
                              258 I6
                              • Sep 15, 2012

I just did like the above and got a rear door spring. Had to fab up the linkage as it is different from front to rear. I'm back working 100% again though.
                              '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                              '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X