greetings and help kind ladies and sirs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

the vacuum advance doesn't back off soon enough either.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Redwookie
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 02, 2009

Well thanks for the input fellas. Serious J. you have no idea how long I thought deep and hard about doing a TBI set up the second we bought the Jeep. But by the time we got out the door the cost of the TBI was just a hair or two more than we had at the time. So now that we went ahead this way that's not an option for now. As far as the rest of it the distributer was just set up during a dyno tuning. The EGR is new as well. Soo I guess unless somebody can think of something else, it's gotta be some kind of physical damage I guess. Man this truck is quite a nightmare so far!
      1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer: Wife's new ride! 130,000 original miles. All original and featured in several ads and Jeep mags.

1989 Chevy Blazer: My off road toy! lifted, locked, custom bumpers, winch, pull-brake, etc...

Comment

I can almost guarantee that the engine shop did not do what is needed to the distributor. It is not just simple springs and weights like a GM. The advance limiter slots are way too big and must be swapped with a smaller Ford unit or welded up to make them narrower, thus limiting the amount of mechanical advance. Then changing springs to get it all in by 2800rpm or so.

Tuning the vacuum advance is as simple as sticking the proper size allen wrench in the vacuum nipple of the advance can and screwing it in a few turns, then testing with a hand vacuum pump. There was a thread on here within the last few years with all the steps and how to set it up right.
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Redwookie
          230 Tornado
          • Jun 02, 2009

Thanks Chevelleguy. Maybe I'll look to set her up with a better ignition system then and try things from there. What a pain in the arse! I guess I have been a bit spoiled with the GM HEI's
          1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer: Wife's new ride! 130,000 original miles. All original and featured in several ads and Jeep mags.

1989 Chevy Blazer: My off road toy! lifted, locked, custom bumpers, winch, pull-brake, etc...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Welcome to the madness!
            I have a 88 GW w/401 and a 260H in it. It is running a stock dizzy set at 12* advanced. I am pretty happy with the way it runs. Some day I will get the rear axle put back together so I can enjoy it more.
            Last edited by fulsizjeep; 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• vintagetrks
              304 AMC
              • May 01, 2009

Welcome from Chino Az

Welcome to the club. I'm up here just North of Prescott in Chino Valley. Sorry to hear your having so many problems with your rebuild. Just a suggestion. Have you thought of going to an HEI distributor and ditching the old unit?Don't know how much it would help.
              New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
              My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
              90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• DAHoyle
                350 Buick
                • Nov 25, 2005

Curious what gearing it has in it. Hate to state the obvious, but a tall gear will make any rig feel like a dog. 130 at the axles doesn't sound that far off from a stocker, but it should be higher with the upgrades.
                67 M715
                Cummins 4BT/Allison 54/Ford203/Ford205,
                Front 89 HP60/Rear 81 GM D70HD
                Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
                Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Comment

• jpcoutts
                  304 AMC
                  • Jun 28, 2002

Welcome! Now about those pics of the green '91 wag...

As for your issue with the 360- how many miles on it since the rebuild? Maybe it's still just tight? Lots of good advice here to help you sort it out, maybe time and a few miles will help some.
                  Jim C
                  '67 J3000 Dually
                  '86 J20
                  '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                  '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                  Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• J.J.
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 07, 2005

Are you running a catalytic converter? Could be plugged.
                    Joseph

77 Cherokee 4 door

Comment

Working...
                    X