UPDATE: Fix one thing, another breaks... STORY TIME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gas Pumper
    232 I6
    • Jun 30, 2009

Jeff, might finally take you up at that meet and greet to try the coil. (First a trans, then I thought the motor died, now this... like you say, welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects! haha).

J300Zack, I checked all the lines and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The cat has come up several times, might just remove it (gotta love the republican state of AZ! No emmissions up here!)

Mark Wilde, when I replaced the water pump I nearly filled a 5 GAL bucket with coolant. Don't think I lost coolant and overheated, but I could be wrong (Been known to happen, very rarely though ).
    FSJ-less...
    ...at the moment...

Comment

• jeeper54
      350 Buick
      • May 25, 2009

I think the coil is worth a try. I had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be a weak coil, fouled plugs. Upgraded to a slightly hotter coil and cleaned the plugs. Problem went away. My 86 waggy has bad bearings in the water pump and I'm dreading putting this new one on along with the rest of the hoses so my hat is off to you for saying it was easy. Also, don't need to rub it in about emissions since we're still stuck with it in the valley.
      Currently without
      Formerly
      1986 G.W. 360
      1986 Eagle Wag
      1985 G.W. 360
      1984 Eagle Wag
      1981 Wag 360
      1978 Wag 401
      1981 Cherk W/T 258
      1966 Wag Super 327
      Not counying XJs'.
      [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

• Sian09
        258 I6
        • Apr 09, 2006

You never know and since its easy to check...have you checked timing? Just a thought!
        '78 J10 Stock for now. 360, 44's F&R, T18, D20, TFI, 5 Slots, 31" ATs, Copper like color.

Comment

• Gas Pumper
          232 I6
          • Jun 30, 2009

Jeeper54, water pump isn't too bad. Take your time and clean everything. Also a good time to replace hoses, thermostat and fan clutch.

70FSJ, ignition keeps coming up so it looks like that's worth a try. Didn't think about that box on the fender.

Sian09, timing looks good, thanks for the suggestion.
          FSJ-less...
          ...at the moment...

Comment

• Gas Pumper
            232 I6
            • Jun 30, 2009

UPDATE: Replaced the coil and at first, It wasn't any better. The idle was ok, but soon as I put it into gear, it started stumbling and died. I tinkered with the basics, like adjusting idle speeds, checking firing order, checking plug wires, cap and rotor. I ever tried twisting the dist. a little each way and it didn't help.

Then I started checking electrical again. And boy o boy, the PO sure hacked this thing up. Tracing wires is almost impossible due to the 2 to 3 different colors found in one wire, not to mention the half *** splices that were made.

I gave up chasing wires and said "to hell with it," and I took it for a drive anyways. I floored it for a good 1/4 mile thinking maybe all it needs is to spread its wings.

Well, it worked... sort of. It purrs now (with the occasional "blip" in the idle, prob another undiscovered vacuum leak). The only think wrong now is it occasionally backfires out the carb. Not a "major backfire", its just enough to startle you while sitting in the cab parked. Any ideas on this one? Probably timing, eh?

So like the title of the thread states...
            FSJ-less...
            ...at the moment...

Comment

• SierraNVGrandWag
              230 Tornado
              • Mar 12, 2010

I have problems like that right now. In my 88 GW. Although I do need an altitude tune she was making some friend engine noise ticking. Turns out its a lifter. I was Losing power like you described.

BTW how many miles on yours?

Comment

• Gas Pumper
                232 I6
                • Jun 30, 2009

Unknown. Odometer is off. PO swapped in a different dash. If I was to go off mechanical condition only, I would say ~125k.
                FSJ-less...
                ...at the moment...

Comment

Working...
                X