X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodchomper
    350 Buick
    • Dec 17, 2002

So much for my math skills. 4.250-4.165 does equal 0.085 over not 0.095 over. Sometimes the simple stuff bites you. I could calculate the bore size based on the stroke but not subtract two numbers. Anyway sounds like you have a plan. I can't wait to see this engine in action.
    1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
    1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• Ghinmi
      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Made a little more progress on the rolling chassis. Rear suspension is nearly done. I converted it over to coilovers and made adjustable trac bar mounts. None of the off-the-shelf stuff was up to snuff so it's all custom. Still need to notch the frame for up-travel and whip up a rear sway bar.

Also threw the new motor in so that I can start working on headers and front suspension/streering.
      Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
      http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• AMC4ME
        232 I6
        • Oct 15, 2008

This should be a 9 second runner!

Comment

• Ghinmi.....wow!

Ghinmi....

Wow. What an animal mill. Love that it is NOT Brand X. Nice to see AMC get a bit of attention, instead of 24/7 LS or 350 swaps.

Getting smoked by an 'old grandma wagon' would probably not go over well with most of the Stang/Camaro/fat front tire Civic crowd.

9 seconds...hmmm...could a NT Wag (no tubs) go that fast? I don't have any real knowledge of these things. I'll be happy just to get the 4WD in my Wag working again.

Best of luck with your stuff, it is fascinating to read about and to see as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

• Ghinmi
            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

So... this hasn't been updated in quite some time. Things kind of ground to a halt when I had to start over from scratch with the Wagoneer.

Good news though, I'm ready to get fired back up on the project. Expect to see updates again in the coming weeks. I also purchased a different engine/trans combo that I'm pretty excited about. Will post pictures/specs when it's sitting in the shop.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project

Comment

• twisted frame
              350 Buick
              • Apr 01, 2003

Very exciting news. As we always see on the boards: I wish I were closer - not only to see this thing eventually run but also because I saw you were getting rid of some AMC stuff. Curious - do you ever run a non-automatic for drag racing or any kind of automatic that you shift?
              Mike
              1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
              44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
              Now in black primer.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

In the Wagoneer I have a manual valve body in the th400, there's no automatic shifting and I have to click every shift. I used to run a floor shifter but switched to the factory column shifter this year. I've modified the detents a little bit to make it easier to get positive shifts. Much more convenient than reaching down for the floor shifter.

The Cherokee, although not set up for drag racing, will see the drag strip from time to time. It's getting a 6 speed stick.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                  Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

New engine/trans are here. 375 hp 5.7 Hemi and TR6060 6 speed stick out of a 2010 Challenger RT. I have it on good authority that these can make pretty decent power with a cam and bolt-ons.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                    Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Trial fit of the engine. Everything fit pretty nicely, just had to clearance the frame in one spot for the alternator. Got started on engine mounts, hopefully finish them up tonight. They're almost the exact mounting locations for the AMC v8 so not much work needed.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Did a little more fitting work, got the motor dropped down another inch or so. The oil pan is even with the bottom of the crossmember so that's as far as I want to go.

Then got to work on a transmission mount. Came out pretty good I think.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                        Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Yanked the front springs out so that I could measure for wheels/tires. These pictures show rough ride height but clearly the wrong tires. The fronts will stick out about as far as shown but the rears will come out another 2" or so. The rear wheels being sunk so far in makes it look like the rear isn't centered but it is. Going 275/40r17 front and 315/35r17 rear on 17x9.5 and 17x11 ZR1 replicas.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                          Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

The tires showed up today. I ordered them yesterday at 5:00 pm and they were here today at 11:00 am. Wow. Still waiting on wheels and ordered adapters today.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Just goofing around with the tires tonight.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                              Shakes hands with danger
                              • Jul 01, 2012

Holy $hizzle. I didn't know this place was overrun with Powerball winners.

Watching those parts pile up is just...depressing.
                              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                                Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I wish I won the powerball. The project up to this point is mostly spare parts I had laying around and the rest financed by selling others. Trying to take this mountain of pieces and parts and consolidate down to two functional Jeeps and minimal clutter. The benefit of having this project take forever is that I've been able to take my time buying things and wait for used parts or big sales. There's no way I could afford this at full price.

Comment

Working...
                                X