X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

That seems like a lot of work for the timing gear. Is there no other/better timing set available?
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
      That seems like a lot of work for the timing gear. Is there no other/better timing set available?
      No. Even the most expensive timing gear needs re-worked to make right. Every now and then the oil passage does line up with the oil feed hole in the cam but it is rare.
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

Likely every set available today is made in the same factory, resulting in the same problems. Pretty representative of today's aftermarket environment as a whole.

aa
        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• SC/397
          Administrator
          • Feb 01, 2010

I had forgot to mention the prep I do so that the replacement dip stick tube will actually fit in the block. I bought a batch of these through Omix-Ada #17424.02 and they are slightly oversize compaird to the original ones. So, before I even take the block to the machine shop I drill the hole in the block for the dip stick tube out to 11/32". Then, I grind the first bubble off of the tube and the second one down a little bit. If I don't do this, it is almost impossible to drive in.
          IMG_1271 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I sandblast the rocker arms and then use a rocker arm shoe kit like the Sealed Power #MR-1909 . I had measured the base circle of the new cam and compared it to the old stock cam and they were close enough so I was able to use the original push rods.
          IMG_1281 by Rick Jones, on Flickr.

She is getting close now..
          IMG_1269 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• SC/397
            Administrator
            • Feb 01, 2010

It runs!
            IMG_1280 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Now, I have to change the oil, re-torque the head bolts, and figure out how to make this all work.
            IMG_1279 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by SC/397
              No. Even the most expensive timing gear needs re-worked to make right. Every now and then the oil passage does line up with the oil feed hole in the cam but it is rare.
              That's sad. I guess things have changed since I built my engine somewhere around 2004-2005. If I remember correctly, I used a rollmaster billet timing set and did not have to do anything to it. Been running great for around 15 years.
              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• cma
                350 Buick
                • Jan 26, 2012

Rik!
                Again great work!
                One Engine more from you in Europe! (By the way, my one is running like champ!)

Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

Thank You Markus!
                  Glad to hear that your Jeep is running well my Friend.

Comment

• SC/397
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 01, 2010

That's sad. I guess things have changed since I built my engine somewhere around 2004-2005. If I remember correctly, I used a rollmaster billet timing set and did not have to do anything to it. Been running great for around 15 years.
                    15 years is a long time in the after market world. Even the Rollmaster product has changed companies and has changed in design. Again, you have to check them all.
                    Rollmaster is probably one of the best timing sets that you can buy but here we go again. They changed...

Comment

• SC/397
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 01, 2010

I just have to mock up the York Compressor Kit and she is ready to crate!
                      I like the look of the cast aluminum powder coated intake and rocker arm covers. Has a serious look to it.

IMG_1317 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                        Shakes hands with danger
                        • Jul 01, 2012

Pretty. But I sure wish you'd stop giving me expensive idears.
                        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Probesport
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2015

Originally posted by SC/397
                          I just have to mock up the York Compressor Kit and she is ready to crate!
                          I like the look of the cast aluminum powder coated intake and rocker arm covers. Has a serious look to it.

IMG_1317 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                          Very nice clean work. I always appreciate simplicity, even when it's quite complicated.
                          Ken S.
                          Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          Megasquirt EFI
                          : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                          Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                          Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• marsupilami
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 03, 2014

Hi Rick,

Great job! I was already fascinated by your first "budget" build.

Now I am getting closer to my own build. I could get a core 360 with the right heads to use the 343 pistons.

Some questions I have, just to know what I need to order:

- Have you used new bolts on the rebuild or did you re-use the old ones?
                            - Same with the valve springs. New or used dones?
                            - what is the difference between the cam in this build compared to your preferred 268H? This one has better torque at lower RPM, but less HP at the high end?

I am not looking to build a race monster, I just want the engine to perform according to its possibilities.

Other parts I will be using as I have them on my engine:

-Edelbrock Performer intake
                            -Holley 4 barrel 600CFM
                            -IMPCO 300 Propane system

-Standard headers, but Smog "humps" are cleaned
                            -2,5" dual exhaust
                            -MSD 8523 Ignition

Thanks!
                            Robin

Comment

• SC/397
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 01, 2010

- Have you used new bolts on the rebuild or did you re-use the old ones?
                              I use the old stock main bearing cap screws and head bolts after inspecting and cleaning. I replace all of the rest of the bolts with new grade 8 or stainless. - With the exception of the stud/bolt that the power steering pump bracket mounts to.

- Same with the valve springs. New or used dones?
                              Most of the time I replace the valve springs to match up with the cam. I might use the original ones on a stocker if they look good and check ok on a spring tester.

- what is the difference between the cam in this build compared to your preferred 268H? This one has better torque at lower RPM, but less HP at the high end?
                              Most of the time it is personal preference. According to the specifications the 268H is geared toward more mid range but I have found it to work well at the entire rpm range. In this build, the cam came as part of the kit so there was no other option. It is the same as the Edelbrock Performer cam. The Performer cam sounds like a stock cam with no lope at all. The 268H has a nice little lopedy lope at idle.

The is my little cheat sheet for cams.
                              AMCcamList1 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                              Last edited by SC/397; 08-09-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• gophman
                                232 I6
                                • Mar 05, 2015

Do you have an approximate hp/TQ figure for this style build?

Comment

Working...
                                X