X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krek
    Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Here's another photo where you can see how it attaches between the fender and hood.

SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• scannman70
      232 I6
      • Jul 19, 2007

personally I like it, I would adapt it to the chop top. Should fit in with the look pretty well

Comment

• Fiodh. Argus
        350 Buick
        • Jan 01, 2005

That is awesome, have been watching this project for a while. I personally would prefer a finished look as opposed to serious caged rock crawler buggy but it's yours so do your thang. Either way it will be great.
        Drew
        77 Cherokee WT

Comment

• Madbodhi
          232 I6
          • Apr 10, 2008

This project has me REALLY wanting another Waggie,and I havn't even started on my 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by krek
            Question for you guys. I spent some time continuing to strip and prep the frame that will eventually be mated with the ChopTop body.

In the photo before notice the bumpercar-ish tubing around the front clip with the pseudo stinger.

When I bought this truck I thought the attempt at the exo was ridiculous but that bit grew on me the couple of times I took it to the trails.

So my question is: Keep (and adapt) it to the ChopTop or ditch it?

does it have m715 fenders on it?

personally i'm not a fan of exo's, but if i did do it i would run tubing along the arc of the m715 fenders you are going to use, so you don't crush them. run it down to the slider, then back up to the bumper. it would give plenty of protection, and if you need to strengthen it up you could run one bar into the fender and down to the frame so the top of the arc doesn't fold in. kind of like supercopjason's 82 chief, just made into arcs.

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• krek
              Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'm not a fan of exos either... but as Al pointed out, we will be taking the ChopTop on the trails and I'm not looking forward to the day I crush one of those fenders on a rock or a tree.

My idea for the cage was a hoop at the windshield, a hoop at the pillars between the doors and a hoop in the bed where a rollbar (or Jeep's original lightbar) would be. The "rollbar" would be tied into the cage through the bulkhead... but I have no idea if that would work based on the potential for flex.

This chunk of tubing that came on the donor truck has grown on me, but I'm just not sure.

The ChopTop body should be on that frame (with the correct tires) sometime in the next couple of months. I'll post up photos at that point and solicit opinions again.

Comment

• skeletor
                350 Buick
                • Jan 31, 2006

you should look at some pictures of m715 brush trucks, a lot of those that i've seen had some sort of exo cage and they can be made to look good.
                1984 j10 LWB - for sale
                1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
                2004 LJ - sold
                2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Comment

• Hammer
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 25, 2002

Personally, I wouldn't go with the exo.
                  BUT, it was Pascal's original plan to have some exo, and have it tied into the interior cage as well.

Those fenders are not really THAT hard to make. After playing around with them, I want to make another set that has the same THICK metal like used on the rear flares, instead of the thin stuff that is stock.
                  I KNOW that I will end up damaging the front flares on my chero, but it will then just be an excuse to make some very sturdy ones

My biggest concern is loosing the 'look' of the choptop with all the exo on there. The pipe would almost hide the flares, and they are a big part of what makes it different.
                  IF you can add in some support without taking away from the looks, then I would be for that.
                  Maybe make the front cage go inside the body panels, but come out the front fascia to tie into a useful stinger? I eventually plan on doing something like that, but it is pretty far down my list.

Either way, I can't wait to see more work done on this project.
                  78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

• FSJeeper
                    King of Unfinished Projects
                    • May 20, 2000

I think the exo is perfect for what you want, but not that design. I have a pic somewhere of what I was going to do on another compyter and will try to find it for you.

The bottom line is that the choptop should be wheeled hard.
                    In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• krek
                      Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by FSJeeper
                      I have a pic somewhere of what I was going to do on another compyter and will try to find it for you.
                      YES PLEASE! I am really struggling with several ideas for trail protection and would welcome your original vision.

Originally posted by FSJeeper
                      The bottom line is that the choptop should be wheeled hard.
                      It will be.

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2004

How did I miss this thread? You have 2 full-blown totally different projects going at the same time in what looks to be a perfect working environment..

You are either one of my favorite people, or I absolutely hate you! 8^)

This is a really cool idea, I am anxious to see the finished product. Maybe the guberment will contract you to replace the HMMWV and MRAP!
                        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                        50 CJ3A
                        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• djongeward
                          304 AMC
                          • May 21, 2008

I can not understand why folks don't like "exo's". I like anything that works. I would use bubble wrap if it would protect it. Can't say I like the flat fenders, but I bet they work. Thought of rounding off some of those edges?

I can see Glamis dunes from my front yard. A day or two spent out there, you will see every imaginable, weird, and just plain stupid rigs ever built and some absolutely awesome rigs as well.
                          Exoskeletons are fairly mainstream to me.
                          89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
                          76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
                          89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• krek
                            Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

I got the cab off the donor chassis yesterday and spent several hours with the powerwasher to remove mud, mud and more mud from a trip to the mud pits last Fall.

I started a separate thread seeking input on how much work to put into this before joining the body with it.

401 with Howell EFI, Dana 60s, twin sticked D300, hydraulic steering, Warn winch, air tank in rear for OBA, etc.

Last edited by krek; 02-10-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                              Murphy's Law Poster Child
                              • Dec 03, 2003

Looking good! Can't wait to see it in person
                              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                              '88 GW
                              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• krek
                                Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

I removed the ChopTop body from the frame it was delivered on today.

At some point I decided to use the J10 chassis thinking that I could fabricate body mounts to make it work... but there is a snag.

I didn't put a tape measure on it but it appears that there is approximately 10 inches of wheelbase difference.

The J10 frame is wider in the rear and the frame arches higher over the rear axle.

Looking at both frames, I have to believe it would be easier to swap the drivetrain over to the Waggy frame than shorten the wheelbase on the J10 frame... yes?

Waggy frame:

J10 frame:

Comment

Working...
                                X