• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BRUTUS
    360 AMC
    • Dec 06, 2005

Moab FSJ's 2008!

It isn't too soon to start discussion on the next round of Moab FSJ Boobie Safari 2008 action is it?

I talked with Michael, Flint and Ryan yesterday and here were the points discussed:

1) Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Moab rim will not be attempted next year unless:
    A) We PLAN on doing it over the course of two days.
    B) The FSJ buggy types want to do it anyways.
    C) One or two rigs with winches attend.
    D) We leave the trailhead at 8:00am NO MATTER WHAT
    Reason being... with my cooling/charging/brake line problems, Dustin's pinion angle and tranny linkage problems and Michel's broken spring/brake line, the trail takes a real toll on 30 year old iron. That was just this year... I can't even comment on past years carnage on that trail. That and it is just such a long trail to crawl the entire length it doesn't make sense to push our luck trying to do it in a day. We found ourselves almost racing to make the golden crack before nightfall. Even though we passed the crack before nightfall, we still didn't get off the trail until 3am. The obstacles keep getting harder and harder after that too. I can still hear Scott in the back of my mind repeating "there is just one more obstacle... there is just one more obstacle... there is just one more obstacle." Another consideration is that there are just so many more trails in Moab to explore it doesn't make sense to re-do this particular trail every year. I keep going over this in my mind and I keep thinking it would be a real travesty if we didn't learn from our previous experiences on this trail and pro-actively change our approach.

2) Moving the date of the FSJ Boobie Safari to the week before or the week after Easter Jeep Safari.

This would give the opportunity for people attending Easter Jeep to go early or stay late to hang out with the FSJ crowd while still avoiding the bumper to bumper trail rides and 2 hour waits for tables in town.

<SNL Coffee Talk skit Michael Myers>Discuss amongst yourselves... </SNL Coffee Talk skit Michael Myers>
    "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
    Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
    Current Homepage Status: RUNNING
  • Desert Beast
    360 AMC
    • Oct 05, 2002

i dont know if ill be able to make it but if i do i want to run hells revenge on the first day.
    If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

The most amazing is that no rigg was left on the trail....

I remember that for Ouray in 2002, i replaced any common parts older than 4yrs.... water pump, starter, hoses, belts.... forgot about the alternator.... which gave up the ghost 10 years later.... this April.....

Got s^%$ up by the QT vacuum actuator.... which was the OE part....

The overheating seems to be common..... I swapped an HEI saturday pm, and it is running a lot warmer.... the exhaust is hot.... the temp a tad over the usual.... but sparks are tan/brown..... so back to solving a problem.

Electrical can be the major draw back.... this is why i will keep a spare point distributor w a mounted coil.... and carry an inductive timing light.... I got TDC, but the degrees are tricky, wo tools
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Mistifire
        232 I6
        • Jun 28, 2006

Originally posted by BRUTUS

2) Moving the date of the FSJ Boobie Safari to the week before or the week after Easter Jeep Safari.

This would give the opportunity for people attending Easter Jeep to go early or stay late to hang out with the FSJ crowd while still avoiding the bumper to bumper trail rides and 2 hour waits for tables in town.
        I would be worried about all the other people from the Easter Jeep that come early or stay late, it was hard for us to find a hotel or camp ground, we were lucky to find the last camp ground available once and the last hotel room once, you know the one that they said smelled like smoke enough that they gave us a discount on it before we even saw it.

Everything got a little more expensive on the weekend when we were there, I would be afraid to see the prices they ask around Easter Jeep time on the weekends.

Comment

• BRUTUS
          360 AMC
          • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Mistifire
          I would be worried about all the other people from the Easter Jeep that come early or stay late, it was hard for us to find a hotel or camp ground, we were lucky to find the last camp ground available once and the last hotel room once, you know the one that they said smelled like smoke enough that they gave us a discount on it before we even saw it.

Everything got a little more expensive on the weekend when we were there, I would be afraid to see the prices they ask around Easter Jeep time on the weekends.
          I know what you are saying but you still don't even have to be there the last weekend of EJS. You could show up tuesday or wednesday and still have a bang up time. Everything that I have heard is that the majority of rigs on the trails the week after EJS are picking up trash.
          "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL

Comment

• srobertsfsj
            304 AMC
            • Aug 26, 2002

Hey Michel, I send you a PM. Have a quick question for you.

Thanks
            Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
            http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by srobertsfsj
              Hey Michel, I send you a PM. Have a quick question for you.

Thanks
              Got it, right?

the throttle stop solenoid for the HEI (+) wire
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• letank
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                I know what you are saying but you still don't even have to be there the last weekend of EJS. You could show up tuesday or wednesday and still have a bang up time.
                I can give you prices..... during the week, it is about $55ish, but when the hotel managers start to know that things fill up... the prices go to the $100.

I booked my room the day before arriving... for 4 days.... when i arrived, they did not have vacancies... and the manager told me: " you are lucky, the current prices in town are $100ish, if you can find a room"
                Michel

Comment

• BRUTUS
                  360 AMC
                  • Dec 06, 2005

I will still camp though.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

News Flash:

Wonder if Tom would take all us first timers for a leisurely ride on Poison Spider, Gold Spike, Gold Bar Rim next year?

So, I think if we are considering a date in relation to week before, week after EJS 2008 for the FSJ Moab Invasion , we should consider the weather and the other events that maybe in the same time frame.

Some planning for EJS 2008:

The EJS event will be held March 15 - 23, 2008. The Vendor Expo Trade Show is the later part of the week on Thursday & Friday (March 21 & 22). The expo is pretty cool. The big parade of rigs downtown Moab is Saturday the 22nd. For those who might be inclined to catch some EJS and a FSJ Moab Invasion would probably benefit best by doing our Invasion the following week.

March in Moab can be way different that April. uh-huh I do know 2 places south of town about 12 miles for those who might be inclined to rough it on BLM land.

Then we have the big car show in Moab but it is not scheduled yet. Looks like they are shooting for April so we won't have that traffic to deal with.

Food for Thought...

Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Desert Beast
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 05, 2002

well, i might be going to moab next year for ejs. it looks like a good time, watch all the drunk asses, just like glamis. we should have one year when we all criuse out for ejs. after that we can make it before or after if you want. i just want to go to ejs once and see how it is.

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

I'll go whenever, but I am NOT bringing the blue cherk again...It's too pretty for Moab :P

I have a trail cherk of the same year under rehab that should be done by then. I'll happily point it at anything.

I say we all (or those without wives/or willing wives) agree to camp out so everyone can bring an 'amenity' and make the campsite cool. Really all you get with a $100 room is a shower, and showers to rinse off the dust can be rigged up. I have a 55 gallon water drum, if someone wants to rig up a shower head
                        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

That there is gonna be some cold shower from a 55 gal drum in March...
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Desert Beast
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 05, 2002

ya but for $50 a night its worth it.

im gettin some round d-shafts so i should be able to drive to some of the trails next year. will make it a bit easier to get there and back.

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                              That there is gonna be some cold shower from a 55 gal drum in March...
                              hmm true. Showers are civilized folks anyhow
                              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                              X