• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

Kinda OT question about springs

Has anyone heard of putting waggy front springs all the way around a YJ? I read on another fourm where a few guys had put them on their YJ's and got 1-2 in of lift and increased their wheelbase by 4in (2in per axle) because the springs have offset center bolts. I tried asking them for more info but no one seemed to want to reply. So I went out to my YJ and took some measurements, Stock YJ springs are 23in from spring eye to center bolt both ends of the springs/ front and rear. I then wet to my cherokee and measured its front springs. It measure 23in from spring eye to center bolt on one side and 25in from spring eye to center bolt on the other side. So all I would need to do is bolt the short side to the frame mount on the YJ. (the other guys bolted the long side to frame mount to get wheelbase) The only problem I can see would be the angle of the shackle. Would that be a big problem? Would longer shackles help it or make it better?
    The reason I am thinking about this is because my stock springs on my YJ are WORE OUT, they sag pretty bad. I have verry little money and need new springs, I havent found a lift kit out there that I can afford. I dont want AAL's and did I say I was broke? I have a local yard that has two wags and he would sell me the front springs for $25 each. (in my price range) I dont want to go over 2.5 in of lift and I dont want and dont like body lifts.
    So what do you guys think? If you never herd of thins then pick your brains and tell me what you think? And sorry for it being OT, but no one else seems to want to help me. Thanks ----Jared
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.
  • Sycho15
    304 AMC
    • Jul 15, 2002

Yes, you can do just what you're talking about. My friend James did this on his SOA YJ, using "boomerang shackles" in the rear to accomodate the extra length. I believe he used the springs to gain 2" of wheelbase up front though.

1975 J20 401/TH400/BW1305

Comment

• robselina
      304 AMC
      • Feb 26, 2003

yea, you've got your info right. It'll net you 2" of lift and they are about 1" longer than stock when on the lighter rig and that will affect your shackle angle as you noted. a shackle that's about 1-1.5" longer than stock will take care of the worst of it and let you articulate fully. I'd run them for the extra wheelbase too BTW, you'd be surprised how much more stable your rig would be with a couple more inches of wheelbase...
      Rob

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 18, 2003

Cool, Is there anyway you could get me the measurements from those shackles. That looks pretty good, Never thought about making some shackles like that. Those look home made, heck, if they were, see if he would want to make another set, I would pay him.
        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 18, 2003

(quote)I'd run them for the extra wheelbase too BTW, you'd be surprised how much more stable your rig would be with a couple more inches of wheelbase(quote)
          I thought about that, but seems like it would give me more work than I want. If I do that I will have to do somthing about the trac bars, sway bar, steering ( tie rod would hit draglink wouldnt it?) and on the rear the tires might hit the back of the wheel well opening.
          My plans for the wrangler are pretty mild. I am only going for a small lift, and keeping the 31's. I just want a little more clearance for them and springs that arnt sagging. Since it is my DD I want to keep it pretty streetable but also capeable off road. It will be used for my DD needs and all the mild "fun" trails and the cherokee will be for the hardcore "rough" trails. I am purpose building both of my Jeeps for what I need/use them for. I want to keep the YJ mildly built and looking pretty nice because its my DD and I want at least one nice looking Jeep. I am building the ccherokee to be my real off road beast. Thanks for your input guys, keep it coming if there is any more

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 18, 2003

btt

Comment

• Sycho15
              304 AMC
              • Jul 15, 2002

I'll PM you with his e-mail address this weekend.

Please do me a favor, and measure the clearance between your rear diff and the gas tank. Is there enough room to move the axle back 2"?

I have an '89 YJ, with a bone-stock suspension, stock rims, and 31x10.5" tires. The first thing I did was remove the tracbars and sway-bars. I definately noticed the difference, but it wasn't scary at all. I've had that Jeep up to 100mph on the interstate with no problems. The flex gained was definately worth it! I had to buy extended brake-lines as the stock lines were stretched tight. With the new lines my shocks became the limiting factor. I'll yank the shocks and flex the Jeep next time I get it in running condition, to see what that suspension is really capable of...

I know someone who did use the springs to move his front axle forwards and had only minor steering problems... but I can't remember what he did (if anything) to correct them. You could retain your sway-bar after moving the axle, it should have enough give. The biggest benefit is the increase approach angle.
              1975 J20 401/TH400/BW1305

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

Thanks sycho. I'm not shure I really want to move my axles 2in. I think it would give me more problem than I want right now. thanks.

Comment

• oldyellowwagoneer
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 27, 2001

It would seem to me you'd be money,time, and headaches ahead by going with a 1-2" body lift. Your needs are exactly what they're made for. This way there's no suspension mods. You can get stock springs that aren't wore out for pennies at any shop that does lifts, they usually end up throwing them in the scrap pile. Dennis
                  ?Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your *** off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.? Henry Rollins

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 18, 2003

I am not really a fan of body lifts. I have mabey about an inch of down travel before my axles hit the bump stops on the fame. I have already replaced the rear springs once with some used ones, because when I got the Jeep it was sagging the worst back there. I have run them for a couple years and now ther are starting to sag too. I just kinda want to stay away from stock springs.

Comment

• phill
                      230 Tornado
                      • Apr 04, 2004

I think Waggy springs are your best beet. I swaped rancho 2.5" waggy springs onto the front my commando and I love them. If you can't weld new spring hangers on your self just put the longer end at the shackle. Full Traction also ofers prety beffy stock higth springs, but I don't know the cost.

Comment

Working...
                      X