• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Road Hammer
    230 Tornado
    • May 21, 2014

AMC 360 Heads with Comp Cams Magnum Rockers

Hi Everyone,

Well my machinist has hit a snag on my 360 build. We were attempting to use Comp Cams, Magnum rockers (pt # 1442-16), without guide plates but there is too much movement of the rocker side to side. We are going to try the Comp Cams, Magnum, rail type rockers (pt # 1431-16), because they do not require guide plates.

Has anyone done this? Will they work?

The heads are '74, 360 doglegs with bridged rockers. Casting # 322 0502.

Thanks for your comments...
    MarkB...

Bold Springs, GA.

1983 Cherokee Laredo
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

I prefer the Scorpion SCP-1097
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

You are either gonna need guide plates or self guiding rockers if you want to stay with stud rockers.

Why not just put guide plates in?

That your machinist couldn't tell just by looking at the heads that guide plates would be needed is not a real confidence booster on his end.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• acct21
        327 Rambler
        • May 20, 2014

+1 on the Scorpion rockers. Used a set in the 400 Ford we built a few years back, and couldn't have been happier with them.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Road Hammer
          230 Tornado
          • May 21, 2014

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to close out this thread. As it turned out, the Comp Magnum "railed" rockers did not work with the 360 heads. The rail on the rocker contacted the valve retainer rather than the valve tip. My machinist thought he could grind the rails, but we found a better solution.

Performance American Style sells a pushrod guide plate kit that fit my 360 heads without having to modify the plates. We had already milled the stud bosses for rocker studs and these guide plates allowed us to use the original Comp Magnum rockers that I had originally purchased. The guideplates are $64.95 a set and saved the day for my build.

It has been suggested that Scorpion rockers are a bolt on solution and if I done my homework, I would have gone that route. Live and learn!
          MarkB...

Bold Springs, GA.

1983 Cherokee Laredo

Comment

Working...
          X