• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaBeeJ20
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 10, 2008

Cadillac 500 in a J20

I am so stupid when it comes to forum searches. Please forgive me for my ignorance. I just acquired a 79 J20 that had the quadratrac system. I was thinking of pulling all of that out and putting in a cadillac 500 as I had built the driveline for a previous truck. This would include a cadillac 500 engine a turbo 350 and an NP 205. The tranny and case are from a 72 GMC and I have all of the mounting brackets as well. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this swap before?...

HELP!!!!

Thanks for allowing me to join and become a member. I look forward to any and all advice!

Martin
    If they say it can't be done ... they've never owned a JEEP!
  • Achilles
    350 Buick
    • May 12, 2004

Here is one:

Hi All, I got a chance to get a Caddy 500 engine for $250! I just wanted to see what questions I should ask about it & what kind of aftermarket support there is for it? I've been wanting to rebuild an engine for my 88 Wag for when the one in it needs rebuilt, although it is pretty strong right now. Anyhow, the guy says it's
    Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
    MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
    Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• SeaBeeJ20
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 10, 2008

Thanks Achilles...

I know all the specs on my engine. I was hoping for someone who had done the swap already and had written it up. I suck at forum searches.

Comment

There's a good couple people that have done the swap. Look for caddy 500, cadillac 500, 500, caddy, cadillac, etc. Go till you find what you're looking for. Try google if that doesn't work. All the threads here are indexed on google.

aa
        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• SeaBeeJ20
          230 Tornado
          • Sep 10, 2008

Thanks Cecil 14,

I spent abotu two hours last night going through threads and found one with step by step instructions. I look forward to performing my swap and giving detailed instructions as well as current pricing for parts and possibly even youtube videos for people to see this transformation happen.

All the Best!

Martin

Comment

Sweet - I look forward to seeing it done!

Do you think the TH350 is going to be up for the torque of the 500? It's a pretty beastly motor.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• SeaBeeJ20
              230 Tornado
              • Sep 10, 2008

Cecil14,

Yeah.. the 350 can handle it easily. I have a friend here that is a tranny guy and he basically puts all of the 400 parts in the 350 and makes, what was a short lived tranny from GM, a TH375. You turn down the drum and you can add more clutches etc. Pretty simple process and a mild shift kit and the torque monster is handled.

My only real concerns are in the front DANA 44.... yikes,,, I have blown two of those out on my 88 Dodge W250 with a 360.. so im kind of nervous. DANA 60's seem to be harder and harder to find. I would like a DANA 60 but... I will have to wait until one comes my way I guess. I have been looking for a while but to no avail.

Martin

Comment

Yah...I can definitely see a D44 getting nuked with that much torque. If you were running a driver's drop I'd say go for a hi pinion Ford D44. That would help a bit, though it still probably wouldn't cure the problem. Can't say as I know of any easily obtained HP pass. fronts, though.

aa

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by SeaBeeJ20
                  Thanks Cecil 14,

I spent abotu two hours last night going through threads and found one with step by step instructions. I look forward to performing my swap and giving detailed instructions as well as current pricing for parts and possibly even youtube videos for people to see this transformation happen.

All the Best!

Martin
                  I know I'm pulling this out of the past, but I'm looking for the same info and can not find the thread you type of here. Did you by chance save it?

How is your project coming? Are you still doing this or did you change directions?

Thanks.
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

PM crazy_ jeepman
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA
                    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                    Robert A. Heinlein
                    The birth of CROM is recorded here
                    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

My front D44 held up fine with a 500ft/lb 401... it's going to really depend on your driving style, the size wheel you are running, if your bearings have slop and what shape your u-joints are in. With a slushbox the front will hold up even better that with a std tranny, remember, the Caddy rear axle wasn't any D60... Another thing, it seems most of the guys running the Buick 455 are still running the Dana 20 transfer case so if that's holding up for them the D44 ought to do fine if it's in good shape.
                      Last edited by Elliott; 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM.
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

My D20 has been holding up behind my 401 pretty good so far. (knock on wood) And I have gone through, a few burnouts...lol I have sheared off a set of spider gears in the rear axle. But other than that, not really any problems.
                        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                          Gone,But not Forgotten.
                          • Apr 09, 2005

And PM Tad, he has older pictures of the one that was in River-Beast
                          Jason in the Mountains
                          1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                          1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                          1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                          1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                          1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                          1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

Originally posted by jaber
                            I know I'm pulling this out of the past, but I'm looking for the same info and can not find the thread you type of here. Did you by chance save it?

How is your project coming? Are you still doing this or did you change directions?

Thanks.
                            What would you like to know, and what rig are you putting it into? As far as the Dana 44's holding out I guess it is going to depend on tire size, gears, and type of wheeling you are going to do. I put a Warmed Over Caddy 425 in a Blazer, and that is way down in specs from the 500. We put a Welded 14 Bolt in the rear when he destroyed the stock axle, but he has brought it back for two front diffs, needs a 3rd one now. He also destroyed a 208 T-Case, sheared the output off. He wheeled the same Blazer set up the same way with the stock 350 without wrecking anything that he is now, but he says he is having much more fun now . I am currently looking for something to put my 500 into......... I think I want some Fun

Here is a Video of his Blazer placing 2nd
                            Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                            Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• jaber
                              Dragin Az
                              • Oct 17, 2003

OK, I got a Caddy 472 out of a '79 Fleetwood, a Buick bolt pattern TH400 out of a '71 J-truck and I was wondering what I would need to put it into a '75 J-20. I have been looking at this,

an was wondering if I would need any kind of spacing? Will this bolt to the Buick style TC?
                              Do I really have to do the Hydro boost right away(will eventually) or will it fit with the vacuum booster?
                              I know I'll need to do something with the rad, and motor mounts, but was there any years the oil pan might work. this one seems to be a mid to rear sump, the oil pan is more to the rear, but seems to run quite a ways forward.

Plus, I'm looking for any extra parts that anyone wants to get out of their way. As long as they work for this.

Thanks for your time and experience....
                              Jeff

'43 cj2a
                              '51 Willys p/u
                              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                              '68 Panel Delivery
                              '74 CJ5
                              '75 J-20 Wrecker
                              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                              '77 J-10 p/u
                              '79 Cherokee
                              '88 Grand Wagoneer