• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

What tires/size? OH so complicated

Hey Everybody
    After reading way too many threads on tire/wheel/lifts I'm more confused than when I started. I'm looking at picking up some tires and rims to put on my 76 wagoneer. The rebuilt drivetrain is patiently sitting out as I replace rusty floors, rockers and 1/4 panels. Currently it has a crazy death trap lift. The plan is to replace the springs to stock + add a leaf. Love BJ 2inch lift but not in the cards yet!

I like the look of 31 inch tires. My local tire shop said 15 inch rims are becoming hard to find and recommend that I get 17 inch steel rims. Not sure if 17 inch rims with 31 inch tires will fit nearly stock wagoneer.

Realistically this Wag will be a grocery runner/ family adventure rig. Gravel roads, light offroad.

I basically need a tire/rim combo that will fit so I can push it out of my garage turn her around and start working on the driver side. Steel rims/cheap tires..
    The rims/tires that came with it are 17inch split rims and dont fit now that I replaced pass rocker.

Thanks for the help!

Colin
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!

Your local tire shop is trying to up-sell you. While larger wheels are definitely becoming more common, there is still a boatload of 15" stuff around.

If you just need something to roll on for now, hit up a junkyard and grab some used wheels and 235/75R15 rubber. SUPER common and should be cheap.

I would hesitate to buy good wheels and tires until you get the suspension where you want it, otherwise you may find the nice shiny stuff you bought doesn't fit like you thought it would. I would also likely not buy wheels from a local place, they're probably going to charge way more than you can get them online for.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

It's not hard to find 15's...
      Summit racing has 525 different wheels in 15" with 6x5.5 bolt pattern. There are more than a hundred 15x7 with 6x5.5 and that's just at summit racing. I think Amazon and other companies will have them, too.

When you pick wheels, make sure you pay attention to the center hole. It needs to be big to pass the front hub through it.

I, personally, think 17" and bigger wheels look a little off on a modestly lifted FSJ. I think you can rock 17's+ if you are running 35 inch tires or bigger but a 17" rim on a 31" tire looks awkward, IMHO.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

+2
          Your tire shop is selling you sales commissioned smoke and he's not blowing in your face. Yeah 17" is getting more common on later/newer rigs but 15" tires etc is not yet rare. Maybe by the time you're too old to drive and it's wheels have been run off your grandkids may have an issue finding 15" tires but it's not a problem yet. Go visit a different shop!
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 61Hawk
            258 I6
            • Jul 18, 2009

I just put 31/10.5/15 General Grabber ATX on my '89 GW on Saturday. #1 rated AT tires on Tirerack.com. Discount Tire had them in stock. I have about 100 miles on them and so far would recommend them.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              It's not hard to find 15's...
              Summit racing has 525 different wheels in 15" with 6x5.5 bolt pattern. There are more than a hundred 15x7 with 6x5.5 and that's just at summit racing. I think Amazon and other companies will have them, too.

When you pick wheels, make sure you pay attention to the center hole. It needs to be big to pass the front hub through it.

I, personally, think 17" and bigger wheels look a little off on a modestly lifted FSJ. I think you can rock 17's+ if you are running 35 inch tires or bigger but a 17" rim on a 31" tire looks awkward, IMHO.
              Agreed, but Id like to try some 17" Ansen 5 slot mags on a FSJ

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

And the shop prolly wonders why it's potential customers buy on line.
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

I agree

use junk yard rims and tires for now to roll it around

it is likely to take a while to finish the rig.

tires you buy now are prob. already a year old,... add 2 or 3 more years to them and you will
                  have dry tires by the time the project is finished...

ask me how I know.

you want fresh tires when you finish.

dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

30x9.5x15 works OK on stock suspension. 31x10.5x15 will rub. They are very likely to rub in the front of the rear fenders even with 2" lift. We started with a 2" add a leaf and 31s on my wife's 77 Wag. I had to roll the lips of the rear fenders inward in the rocker panel area at the front of the fender opening to prevent rub. I have heard others that got lucky and 31s fit with 2" lift. If you really want 31s, a 3 or 4" lift is recommended.

I support the idea of getting the suspension done first then choose tires.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Rusty76
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks everybody for all the great and helpful responses. Tire rack has loads of 15inch wheels. I have this week off work and really want to hit it hard and make some progress on the Jeep. So I tracked down some 6 bolt 17inch wheels with 235 75r17. The price was right and I can get started today replacing rust on the driver side.
                      The tires are GT Radial HT2. They look a little tame but they will work for now.

Yes I should have figured out suspension first. Still learning.. It does look like these tires just shy of 31inch will be a tight fit. The plan was to put new leafs and add a leaf. Not sure if this will be enough. Like was mentioned I might have to go 4 inch lift. I like how it looks now. We had a little snow last night! Need to dig out and call some pals over to push rig out and back into garage. Thanks again everybody.
                      Colin

IMG_5156 by , on Flickr
                      57810870928__D2A4683C-21F5-4C81-AF03-9ED4F7493F99 by , on Flickr
                      1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                      Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                      Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

What is up with the rockers? They look weird...
                        The area right in front of rear tires needs to be angled.
                        Or the tires will get into them and damage both rockers & tires.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Rusty76
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 15, 2018

Hi Tony
                          Yes ,I agree something is not right with that rocker. Not sure what I will do with that yet. Maybe just trim it following the dog leg? Glad I started on the passenger side!
                          Colin
                          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Looks like it's mounted 90* off? Hard to tell with that pic...

It shouldn't be "flat" where it comes off dogleg, should have 2 angles inward from there. The flat part should be where it meets the floor...
                            Post a pic from this angle...

Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                            X