saw a crazy thing at the nissan dealership - tire socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

saw a crazy thing at the nissan dealership - tire socks?

was there getting our fleet vehicle serviced, they have these " covers" that slip over the tires kinda like the spare tire covers you see on the back of baby jeeps.

i was baffled on how they would work? they looked just like a sock, with no traction ribbing or bumps... i suppose if you had racing tires with no tread they might help but really.....

steve
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

I saw some of those on cars crossing Donner pass around thanksgiving and thought the same thing. I kinda want to get a set just to try them...
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

Really? no one has any experience with these? i have all weather tires on the caddy but at a hundred bucks a set????????? i would need 2 sets as i have AWD

steve
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

Huh; I never heard of them before

I had no idea what you were talking about, but apparently it's been a thing:

I guess it increases the coefficient of friction between the road surface and tire surface, like a vinyl glove can, and would be thin enough for the tread to still do some water-displacement.

You learn something new every day.
        1987 J-20
        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

I wish they would have compared chains, cables, and those socks...
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

Nothing crazy about socks... we usually wear some in the winter... very useful for those rear wheel drive german sportsmobile in the winter, IIRC there is a top speed limit to respect, otherwise the socks desintegrate
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rws31
              258 I6
              • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by letank
              Nothing crazy about socks... we usually wear some in the winter... very useful for those rear wheel drive german sportsmobile in the winter, IIRC there is a top speed limit to respect, otherwise the socks desintegrate

Yea, I got the same problem. I get to going to fast and my socks just fly right off.
              89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
              1988 Ramcharger
              1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
              2003 Durango 4x4
              1982 CJ7 4 banger
              2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

Working...
              X