• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeeplove
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2012

CA Diesel Question

Ok, so first off let me start by saying I live in Southern California, I love Diesel's and I love Jeep's.

Now for my query.

I was wondering if it would be legal for me to put a newer Dodge Diesel(24v) and shove it in a Grand Wagon here in CA. Would everything be kosher?

Anything helps.

-Chris
    Wish I had a Grand Wagoneer.
  • dweyler
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 05, 2012

CA Diesel Conversion

From what I understand about CA clean air regulations as long as you can pass the NOX and exhaust gas test based on your year of vehicle there should be no problem. The main problem with diesel is that it will emit a certain amount of particulate matter and smoke if not tuned correctly. That could scramble the passing of the smog test. It also depends where your reside in the state as well. Major areas have tighter emissions regulations than rural areas. I would find out what your regualtions are based on your address and the tag on the engine you want in your wag will tell you if properly tuned what emissions standards it meets. If you have any qestions just pass one along here. I will be glad to help. I know on heavy trucks entering california they can no longer transit in state if they have any older truck then 2004 emissions-which was the first year of EGR systems on trucks. Check the regulations and go from there, its better to find out first then build to pass then to get done and fail after all that work.

Comment

• Jeeplove
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2012

Originally posted by dweyler
      Check the regulations and go from there, its better to find out first then build to pass then to get done and fail after all that work.
      This is exactly why I asked. I didn't want to throw a ton of money and work at something that I couldn't enjoy when finished.

But in theory it can be done correct? With a 24v that is?

Comment

• billyj7175
        304 AMC
        • Sep 10, 2001

Might be different than gas conversions, and possibly the laws have changed, but back when I was stationed in CA (late 80's-2002), the conversion has to be the same year, or newer, and all applicable smog equipment from the donor vehicle has to be in place.

IIRC, there were some GVWR limits on swaps as well.

Hopefully one of the more current CA folks can chime in to verify or correct me.
        83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
        360/727/229
        4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• Jeeplove
          232 I6
          • Apr 15, 2012

Originally posted by billyj7175
          Might be different than gas conversions, and possibly the laws have changed, but back when I was stationed in CA (late 80's-2002), the conversion has to be the same year, or newer, and all applicable smog equipment from the donor vehicle has to be in place.

IIRC, there were some GVWR limits on swaps as well.

Hopefully one of the more current CA folks can chime in to verify or correct me.
          I hope they come in and help, i would really love to do this.
          Last edited by Jeeplove; 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

There is an 800 number on the BAR website, call them and tell them you'd like to talk to your local smog referee about an engine swap.

*IF* it's the same guy, he was pretty up front and will tell you yay or nay.

He's told me nay twice, and yay once.

Nay on 1994 H1 Hummer 6.5 Diesel - heavy duty engine not allowed in light duty truck.
            Nay on Cummins 4BT from bread truck - same as above.
            Yay on GM TBI swap, not an actual engine swap, but if it passed visual/dyno, he said he would slap a sticker on it.

EDIT: Be sure to use a pre-1998 engine too IIRC anything 1998-up diesel still needs to be smogged.
            Last edited by babywag; 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Jeeplove
              232 I6
              • Apr 15, 2012

Originally posted by babywag
              There is an 800 number on the BAR website, call them and tell them you'd like to talk to your local smog referee about an engine swap.

*IF* it's the same guy, he was pretty up front and will tell you yay or nay.

He's told me nay twice, and yay once.

Nay on 1994 H1 Hummer 6.5 Diesel - heavy duty engine not allowed in light duty truck.
              Nay on Cummins 4BT from bread truck - same as above.
              Yay on GM TBI swap, not an actual engine swap, but if it passed visual/dyno, he said he would slap a sticker on it.

EDIT: Be sure to use a pre-1998 engine too IIRC anything 1998-up diesel still needs to be smogged.
              I don't see why they would have said nay to the first two swaps you had plans for as you were well under the GVWR limits. I will have to talk to or get real friendly with the referee so he will let me do it.

I also don't mind that I would have to smog the engine, I really want the power/torque/quiet aspect of the 24v.
              Last edited by Jeeplove; 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
                258 I6
                • Nov 06, 2009

There used to be a little brochure in the dmv offices that stated all the requirements. I bet you can find in online.

Comment

• Jeeplove
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 15, 2012

Originally posted by Kevin armstrong
                  There used to be a little brochure in the dmv offices that stated all the requirements. I bet you can find in online.
                  Do you happen to recall what it's called?

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Smog referee is the final word, just call them. You'll know exactly what you'll be facing with your swap.
                    DMV just pushes paperwork and is clueless about engine swaps.
                    Any DMV brochure would be info obtained by the BAR anyway.

If it's the same guy, he's more than willing to discuss the swap with you.
                    I talked to him 3 different times, he was very informative and helpful.
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 23, 2011

X2 on talking to the smog referee. My dad and I have looked into different engine swaps for my Jeep and his old plymouth, and the basic requirements are:
                      The engine to be swapped in must come from a vehicle of the same weight class
                      It must be an engine from a newer model year vehicle than the vehicle it is going into
                      It must be a bigger engine ( no 4.0 swap for me)
                      It must have all the smog equipment on the engine that it came with
                      Supposedly you also have to keep the same type of transmission with the engine (if it came with an automatic, it must stay automatic; same with manuals. when my dad recently got his plymouth smogged, the guy said he never checks to see what transmission is in it, so i guess it depends on the shop)

hope this helps!
                      Andy
                      '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
                      Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Jeeplove
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 15, 2012

Alright, so the referee it is. Thanks for all the help and wish me luck!

Comment

• Jeeplove
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2012

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
                          X2 on talking to the smog referee. My dad and I have looked into different engine swaps for my Jeep and his old plymouth, and the basic requirements are:
                          The engine to be swapped in must come from a vehicle of the same weight class
                          It must be an engine from a newer model year vehicle than the vehicle it is going into
                          It must be a bigger engine ( no 4.0 swap for me)
                          It must have all the smog equipment on the engine that it came with
                          Supposedly you also have to keep the same type of transmission with the engine (if it came with an automatic, it must stay automatic; same with manuals. when my dad recently got his plymouth smogged, the guy said he never checks to see what transmission is in it, so i guess it depends on the shop)

hope this helps!
                          You could probably get away with a 4.2 or 4.7 right?

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 23, 2011

Originally posted by Jeeplove
                            You could probably get away with a 4.2 or 4.7 right?
                            I've got a 4.2 (258 ci) as it is. Anything bigger than that would be ok as long as its newer and from a vehicle of the same weight class.
                            Andy
                            '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
                            Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• manimal
                              327 Rambler
                              • Oct 18, 2008

Question for those that have successfully swapped a diesel into their FSJ in California....once you pass the examination at the referee,and have transplanted in a light duty diesel,and are now REGISTERED diesel,can you swap in a med/heavy duty engine without worry? example: I put a "C-code" 6.2 in an '83 Cherokee,get

I just went over this with the ref. You CANNOT legally put in a diesel from a vehicle that was a higher GVW than your waggy....ie, 24v cummins..or even a 4bt for that matter. You CAN however put in a 6.2/6.5 from a 1/2t truck/suburban or blazer. OR you can do the diesel swap and goto a local AAA and fill out the statement of facts stating that it has been changed to diesel and they send it in, you get a new title and no more smog!
                              --------------------------------
                              -Lance

Originally posted by REDONE
                              Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!
                              Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                              Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.

Comment

Working...
                              X