• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ki4alb
    232 I6
    • Sep 28, 2010

opinions

Thinking of doing a 3 inch bodylift anyone else done one? Any regrets? Pros and Cons? I would like to run 33's without a SOA although I may go ahead and do it anyway
    J- Just
    E- Empty
    E- Every
    P- Pocket

77 J10 honcho with levis interior

AMC 360
    4 speed
    Warn 8274 winch (8,000 pounds)
  • Dumpy
    304 AMC
    • Jan 30, 2009

Considering you've been to Jakes, and you know where the parts are, I would go SOA
    Justin
    '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
    "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

body lifts suck.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Chrome
        Ph.D in Redneckology
        • Aug 30, 2002

I've had a 3 inch body lift on a 79 J10 and a 88 GW. Never had a minutes trouble from either. The only redneck engineering needed is the shift linkage, that is if yours is an automatic. Nothing more than cutting linkage in a straight section of the bar then welding a 3 inch piece of steel pipe in between. As for the bumpers just remove bracket from frame and either re-drill holes or weld bracket to frame once bumper is in proper position. One last thing go to your local hardware store and get grade 8 bolts if the kit doesn't come with them.
        ..,=====,o00o
        //__l_l_,\____\,__
        l_---\_l__l---0
        lllllll0
        _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• badaboom
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 05, 2001

Not a big fan of body lifts
          1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• Jameshallmodel
            258 I6
            • Jun 09, 2007

Did one on my old DD 88 gw. After all the pita body bolts, having to cut open the floor to get to some of them, and the results that the lift produced, I would never do it again. At least on these jeeps.
            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer- 4inch lift, 31's, tfi.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

Have you seen the pics of the wrecked FSJ that had a 3 in body lift?

The body separated from the chassis in a roll-over accident. The driver survived with cuts and bruises, but the truck was a total loss.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                Have you seen the pics of the wrecked FSJ that had a 3 in body lift?
                The body separated from the chassis in a roll-over accident. The driver survived with cuts and bruises, but the truck was a total loss.
                I love how this accident is always referenced as though the body lift caused the accident. The truck just happened to have a body lift on it so now all body lifts are evil and dangerous. It's like saying "the fiberglass top came off my Bronco while it was rolling down the embankment so now they should outlaw removeable tops for all vehicles" which they unfortunately did. Problem is that body lifts have been made 100 different ways and out of 100 different materials including hockey pucks with 3/8" bolts. Kind of the way people "engineer" angled
                drag links, if it works once, it will last forever. Most people don't think about long term. I've been running a 4" body lift (first on my J-2000 and later installed it on my Honcho) since 1984 without incident. Worst thing to happen was stress cracks on the cab (fixed) and they didn't start till I started offroading on rocks. I'm sure my rusted out frame mounts didn't help either. A 4" body lift nowadays is a joke but I wouldn't be opposed to a 2" or 3". Hardcore wheeling on rocks, I wouldn't go more than 2" and that would be with a flexible suspension. To each his/her own.

This topic stirs up more negativity than the FSJ Magazine/Jeep Junkie discussions.

JR
                [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                1966 mustang fastback
                '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

I would not go more than 2" either IF I was inclined to install a body lift at all.

The FSJ/JJ Magazine hate is much more fun than the body lift hate IMO.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Headhoncho
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    I would not go more than 2" either IF I was inclined to install a body lift at all.

The FSJ/JJ Magazine hate is much more fun than the body lift hate IMO.
                    I'm a lover not a hater.

JR
                    [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                    1966 mustang fastback
                    '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                      360 AMC
                      • Aug 08, 2010

Any link to that picture?

I would not go for any higher then 1". I put one inch lift on my TJ and it looked awesome. I used the daystar kit that replaced all the rubber with poly, I think they make a kit for FSJ's too.

Dont you need to lengthen the fuel filler tube with a 3"?
                      Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
                      5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
                      SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
                      -1994 Baby Grand
                      -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
                      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                      -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                      i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
                      i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• Chrome
                        Ph.D in Redneckology
                        • Aug 30, 2002

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                        Dont you need to lengthen the fuel filler tube with a 3"?
                        Nope, it can handle the stretch.
                        ..,=====,o00o
                        //__l_l_,\____\,__
                        l_---\_l__l---0
                        lllllll0
                        _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• Hippie Metal
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 11, 2009

Originally posted by Ristow
                          body lifts suck.
                          THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          1984 GW T18/205

Originally posted by TheDude
                          Garrett called me maybe 30 minutes ago with a blown tire, but knowing PBR is on the line not much can stop us

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                            • Mar 20, 2005

I have no idea what actually caused the driver to go off the road. Sorry if someone thought I was implying that body lift caused the accident. I do, however, think that the body lift was part of the reason for the chassis/body separation.

With my limited knowledge of leverage and how forces are multiplied over a distance, I would not want a 3" body lift.

Now, if you extended the frame mounting points and welded new "lifted" body mount points, you might be on to something. But at that point, you're better off with a lift kit and/or a saws-all.
                            Ethan Brady
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• five16
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 19, 2011

My personal opinion is that the only time to do a "body" lift is for a little extra after the suspension lift is completed. But even then I am only about 10% for it. Mainly, I just don't like the look.
                              You can teach what you know but you can only reproduce what you are.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Brad B.

Comment

Working...
                              X