• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tucsonrick
    232 I6
    • Oct 28, 2000

Shackle reversal

I've seen it here some where but can't find it.
    How much lift do you get reversing the rear shackles? What are the pros and cons?
    Rick
    tucsonrick<br />69\'wag (mostly stock)

Rick,

the Rear Shackle Flip is a 6-7" gain regardless of springs you have and made to compliment a SOA conversion up front..

Go to TT's Fabworks link my my sig for SOA kits or RB Kustoms is solely the rear shackle flip...

you have any questions after researchin those two sites, I can answer them in detail via email...

PROS:

you get a wopping 6-7" lift and maintain the ride you had before the SOA..

better flex and articulation with the inverted shackle

CONS: fab skills are recommended... more time consuming than a spring lift for install... unforeseen mods may be apparent when you are in progress, but I listed most of them in the RB Kustoms site...

[ June 07, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

oops....

Rick,

Now that I see your sig (69 Waggie)

you gain about 2-4" flipping the rear shackl on the post mount, but your pinion shoots up alot....
      Todd
      www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Atransman
        232 I6
        • Apr 03, 2004

Rick I am relocating the rear springs under the frame this weekend on my 66. I can send you some pictures of the process if you would like.

Comment

• tucsonrick
          232 I6
          • Oct 28, 2000

Todd, what do you mean that the pinion shoots up?

Comment

• tucsonrick
            232 I6
            • Oct 28, 2000

I'm not sure I want to relocate the springs,but thanks.

Comment

the pinion angle (the yoke at the diff) will shoot upward if you just flip the rear shackle and leave the front mounts where they are.. that is your pivot point... you just have to make sure its not too much...
              Todd
              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• jode
                JB Welder
                • Apr 08, 2002

I was curious about that "shooting" stuff too...now I get it...you are talking about the pinion angle changing so it is pointed up more...gotcha
                No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

Hey Jode... sorry for the vague use of words... lost for a good word at the time..
                  Todd
                  www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

I've done this two different times Rick.
                    First time was when the wag came home with me, that was just to clear the tires I had laying around. The rear spings were stock then and very saggy, it really didn't do much for it then. Maybe 2" at best and the pinion angle didn't change too much.

Second time was with the 2 1/2 lift, 52" Chevy springs in back, that was drastic, maybe 4", the tire moved forward almost into the body and the pinion angle snapped the ball and trunion joint.

Which IIRC you are still running? The ball and trunion joint that is. They don't take kindly to lifting at all.
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• tucsonrick
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 28, 2000

Tad,I had a new drive shaft made with a regular u-joint and companion flange to bolt to the D-20.The ball & truion I put in while still in Tucson has already blew apart.I also just installed all new springs made for me by St.Louis Spring and Brake.They did a good job but didn't get as much extra arc in the rear as I had hoped for so Ineed a couple more inches of lift there. The front end came up fine.Don't really want to do blocks so I'm shopping for options.
                      Rick

Comment

• Tad
                        • Nov 30, 2001

Rick, in that case you can just flip it and see what happens.
                        It looks a bit more drastic in the air than it does once settled on the ground.
                        All you need is a good floor jack.
                        Lift it up by the rear xmember till the shackles have no stress on them.
                        Pull them off.
                        Lift a bit more and put them on upside down.
                        Watch the driveshaft for how much it moves out, shouldn't be much at all

Keep us posted on how it works out.
                        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
                        X