FINALLY, got around to the rhino/hoodlatch dilemna...(pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck Brown
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 17, 2008

FINALLY, got around to the rhino/hoodlatch dilemna...(pic heavy)

'Morning Fellas,

Well, last night I finally figured enough was enough and Im finally going to deal with this whole inaccessible-hood-release-because-of-the-rhino-transplant problem. If you've ever transplanted a rhino grill onto a former razor grill rig, maybe youve had the same problem, where your big, fat fingers could no longer access the hood release handle, because the space between the hood lip and the top of the rhino is MAYBE 1/2" on a good day. (Ive never intentionally closed the hood the whole way down, but some hard descents down in my field have caused it to seal shut from time to time.)

Up til now, everytime I had to get under the hood (and they have been frequent, trust me, as Im still in the late build stages), I had to grab for my 3' long flathead screwdriver and carefully pry the hood open using that 1/2" space.

Now, bonehead that I am, I tried overthinking the problem; blueprinting schematics that looked like Pee Wee Herman's breakfast making machine or some kind of holdover from the Manhatten Project.

All along, the solution (as they usually are) was down at the barn where I keep the J200 that I havent bothered with yet. So, I took a few snapshots of the old Gladiator setup and refit the 77 Chief in the same fashion.

See, the problem with the hood release on my 77 Chief is that it is forward facing, and the only way to access it is through the gap between the grill and the hood lip...so heres what I did:

(Since I know I tend to run long in the tooth, Im gonna skip the narration and let the pics do the talking, sorta like one of them ol' silent movies, so feel free to insert your own piano music.)

Removed it, rotated it 90 degrees and re-welded it to the bar.

Hood Closed...

Hood Released...

Hood Closed again...

Take THAT, Stacey David and your 5 minute rhino grill swap, once again the powers of the working man overcome the forces of engineered obsolescence!

Chuck Brown
    Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
    Works in progress:
    1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
    1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
  • men in black
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 08, 2006

Wow! great idea
    1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
    Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
    Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
    Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• brtisch
      232 I6
      • May 15, 2008

Nice work! That's exactly what mine looks and works like. It was done by the PO and works well. I believe he used a '72 hood on my '65, mostly because the original hood was in bad shape.
      '65 J-3000 AMC 360/TH400/Dana 20/4" Lift/33" BFG's

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_1612.jpg

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

nice job. Hope this makes the archives.
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• littlebuck23
          258 I6
          • Aug 07, 2008

Dude!
          Terry

1970 Kaiser Wagoneer -SOLD (currently getting built by new owner)
          Build thread-http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=103447
          1979 Cherokee Chief WT 360. SOLD
          1977 Cherokee Chief WT Sport 401. SOLD
          1975 International Scout II (My DD)

Comment

• Chuck Brown
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 17, 2008

Thanks for your feedback fellas, Im still sorta kicking myself for not having done it earlier and wasted time thinking up foolish solutions with pulleys, springs, longer release levers, etc...

Its still working like a champ and I hope that maybe somebody who is considering the rhino conversion can use what I posted up.

Chuck Brown
            Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
            Works in progress:
            1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
            1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• lkmarsh
              350 Buick
              • Nov 21, 2008

Originally posted by Chuck Brown
              I hope that maybe somebody who is considering the rhino conversion can use what I posted up.

Chuck Brown
              I am considering a rhino, but I never even thought about the hood release. Excellent solution to the problem! Archive for sure!
              Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
              69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
              68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
              68 Impala wagon 327/400
              73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
              04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
              73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                Hey watch this...
                • Nov 19, 2004