CUCV wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUCV wheel question

What backspacing is everyone running with these? any pics or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
  • Will Morris
    350 Buick
    • Nov 24, 2002

Nick, depends on what size rims. If people are running 15s they're running like 2.5"-2.75" and some still have to grind but the stockish rims would be more like 3.5"-4" in the 16" and up range. I'd say go for 16s or 17s since those seem to be the rim sizes of the future. Particularly 17s, but I'm sure they're pricey.

Will
    '78 Cherokee NT in GA
    '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

i think i'm gunning for 16.5" and i'll weld my own beadlocks on them.

I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
      I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

I run 16x10's with 4.5" BS
        Todd
        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Will Morris
          350 Buick
          • Nov 24, 2002

Originally posted by orangecherokee:
          i think i'm gunning for 16.5" and i'll weld my own beadlocks on them.
          Then make sure you get some with a safety bead because you can still blow the inner bead unless you run bead locks on both sides of the rim. Someone from pirate though welded a bead along the inside of a 16.5" rim though to add the safety beads. I imagine that it made the rims a little harder to balance, but you're going to be running 39.5" swampers so who cares.

Will
          '78 Cherokee NT in GA
          '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

good call Will, i think to save me a few headaches i'll run the 16s

Comment

• Glenn_tx
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 08, 2002

16x10's here w/ 4.5 I believe.
              Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• jeepzilla47
                350 Buick
                • Jun 14, 2003

get some rims like mine from www.usa6x6.com i run them with 37 boggers and no weights. its a little shaky until they warm up...but after that, they barely shake. the rims are awesome, and must be true b/c of the ride.
                Mike Hildreth...aka Tubby
                "From nothing we have risen, and from nothing, we still rise!!" (Hatebreed)

84 GW in progress
                fuel injected 454/th400/203/205/hpd60/ff14b 4.88/welded/4wdb/dbl/39.5 iroks/gm springs/rb shackle flip/ hydraulic assist

Comment

• Brad W.
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 09, 2003

i'm using 16.5" hummer wheels. these are double beadlock style and are actually a two piece wheel like the old dodge combat rims. you can mount tires without a tire machine... just unbolt the wheel and slip the tire on, then bolt it back together. I love the design, but they do have one downfall... they have a lot of backspacing (about 7" I think)...
                  Brad W.
                  1979 wag "Nightmare"
                  **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
                  **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
                  24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
                  4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
                  Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• KYJ10
                    360 AMC
                    • May 05, 2002

Im not sure what the differnece is between the J truck and chero, but I running the chevy rear springs. And shackle flip. With a 16x10 and a 3.75 or 4" BS(I forget which), I run about 1.5" from my springs. 38.5x15's. Im glad I didnt go with the 2.75" rims! I have never rubbed the spring and run them at about 6-8 psi.
                    Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

Working...
                    X