• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75wag401
    232 I6
    • Jun 23, 2004

I'm stupid...maybe

Ok so today I slaved away for two hours, and nearly got killed (dude on the forklift dropped the truck on some wheels I stacked up, and a wheel shot out and knocked the breath out of me)
    anyways i pulled a full floater 14 bolt, and this being the first axle I ever pulled, I screwed up.
    It's a dually axle... and I couldn't tell until I got back to the shop... basically I'm wondering If it's possible to run that under mine (75 wag) and It fit, and be a little wider...
    I figured that the way the hub was set up, It was wide enough...I guess not... any advice?
  • FSJ Thing
    Propane Protagonist
    • Aug 25, 2002

What's it measure WMS to WMS? Do the backing plates clear the springs?
    The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• 75wag401
      232 I6
      • Jun 23, 2004

46" roundabouts... the wag ain't runiin just yet and It's at the house, so I dunno

Comment

• FSJ Thing
        Propane Protagonist
        • Aug 25, 2002

From flange to flange it's only 46"? I don't think you could make that work without welding in longer tubes and having custom axle shafts made by Currie or Moser or something...
        The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• Will Morris
          350 Buick
          • Nov 24, 2002

Matt, he probably means that perch to perch is 46" and WMS to WMS is probably 70"+ but could be found on the Billavista 14 bolt bible on Pirate. I'm not at my home computer, so I don't have the link off hand.

Anyway, you can relocate the perches so that it'll bolt up under your Wag and then use a dually front axle with hummer rims for cheap legal bead locks. I have a dually Dana 60 front if you're interested and just up the road from Athens.

Be safe,
          Will
          '78 Cherokee NT in GA
          '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

• rockcandy
            304 AMC
            • Aug 20, 2003

cut/grind backing plates off, convert to disc brakes, re-locate perches...peachy

check here for any info you might need to sling that dually axle under your rig...

1979 waggy, one ton WT conversion going on...

1979 golden eagle buggy...living on through donations across the country

Comment

• rockcandy
              304 AMC
              • Aug 20, 2003

the only bad part is that a dually 14 bolt is one wide bastage, and it will be nearly impossible to find a front axle wide enough to run up front.

[ July 06, 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: rockcandy ]

Comment

Aren't all the 14 bolts the same, it is just the hubs that are different?
                David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• rockcandy
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 20, 2003

honestly, your best bet would be to take it back if possible... but that is most likely not an option if you got it at a yard. You need to find a SRW FF14 bolt instead.

Comment

Originally posted by rockcandy:
                    the only bad part is that a dually 14 bolt is one wide bastage, and it will be nearly impossible to find a front axle wide enough to run up front.
                    just have to adjust the BS on the front wheels
                    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                    Originally posted by johnny019
                    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• rockcandy
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 20, 2003

David,

Unfortunately, for 75wag401, they are not all the same. I believe only the C&C axles and the SRW have the same housings but different hubs. The van and DRW 14 bolts are different housing lengths.

Comment

• rockcandy
                        304 AMC
                        • Aug 20, 2003

Originally posted by orangecherokee:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rockcandy:
                        just have to adjust the BS on the front wheels</font>[/QUOTE]and run different backspacing for rear rims?? That makes a spare fun, but you could try and go about it that way. That is a ~5" difference to make up though. It wouldn't be so bad if the wider axle was up front...

Comment

Thanks. I was told that all 14 bolts use the same axle shafts, therefore, only the hubs would be different. So far, this guy has not been very reliable.
                          David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                          83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                          10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• 75wag401
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 23, 2004

this axle is narrow... It's 46" from flange to flange, not spring perches tomorrow I'm takin it back and gettin a wider one
                            It looked fine to me but it is hella more narrow than a guys that I work with on his 89 xj. i think the wheel spacing on it would be ok, but It's still a dually, I think itd go good on a wrangler/ cj

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jul 18, 2003

What did that axle come out of?
                              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

Working...
                              X