• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Towtruck
    350 Buick
    • Oct 11, 2001

Air Conditioning Rehab Question

I'm going to replace the Tecumseh/York AC compressor on my '81 J10 V8, as I'm pretty sure the seals are leaking. Seems prudent to also replace the service valves. But I can't find the exact part numbers. I know they're for flare fittings and they're AN sizes, but.... (no luck on the 'oljeep link). Thanks
    Last edited by Towtruck; 11-01-2020, 06:07 PM.
    J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Did you check on jeep air or vintage jeep air out of Florida, they had a lot of the parts needed for the a/c system.

Comment

• Towtruck
      350 Buick
      • Oct 11, 2001

I looked at their websites and didn't see what I'm after, but I'll call them today. I'd like to find ports with AN hookups, but without the screw-in portion if possible. Don't think the screw portion is really necessary...is that correct? Thanks.
      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Cliff
        350 Buick
        • Mar 30, 2002

The last time I worked on a Jeep AC I purchased parts from Superior in Atlanta, which later became Randy's Auto Air. Randy Bennet is an AMC racer and knew the ins and outs of AC for the AMC V-8. I was doing a Sanden conversion at the time. I have no idea if he's still in the biz but here are the last known phone numbers for him.

770-389-8222 home
        678-978-1555 cell

If you can't reach him let me know by PM. I may be able to track him down.
        Cliff Danley
        1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• FleetFox
          258 I6
          • Apr 04, 2018

might want o check with SonarEd on the other forum. H e has a shop that specializes in AC, especially for rods and customs. He helped me a lot with pieces and parts to restore/ upgrade my stock sytem. 134 ports, sanden conversion, even made up new hoses from the old ones.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• Towtruck
            350 Buick
            • Oct 11, 2001

Thanks, everyone. I called around, but most suppliers and shops are geared toward Sanden conversions. The Classic Auto air operation said they stopped stocking Jeep specific parts for the York because there were several variations between factory and dealer units...and plenty of owner modifications over the years. So I started checking parts lists. Looks like everyone gets their fittings for the York and Tecumseh from Four Seasons. They have a great on-line catalogue and I sifted through dozens of configurations.

Fittings with the original tube/O-ring seal at the compressor attach ports are #12920 and #12918. Location of the ports for the gauge hose hookups are slightly different than the originals, but they should work.

Alternate fittings using Rotolok seals at the compressor ports are #12780 and #12778. Again, the gauge hose hookups are in different positions on the fittings, but they should work.

The compressor I purchased will accept tube/O-ring or Rotolok sealing at the compressor ports. (The Rotolocks attach via adapters supplied with the compressor). I'm leaning toward the Rotolock style.

After removing the alternator, the fan, and about 20 bolts I finally got the old compressor and it's bracket off of the engine. The old Haynes manual has some good photos of which bolts to remove and in what order. But what a major PITA! And now I'm looking at that old water pump with all the compressor junk cleared away, and wonder if I should replace it.... Same for one or two hoses. And then I might as well degrease the area ...and then....
            Last edited by Towtruck; 11-03-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Beach_Dude
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 03, 2011

i'm not on here enough but I did find the service valves and I've posted the information somewhere during my AC era.

R12 Tube O-Ring Backseat Valve With # 8 Male Flare Thread

R12 Tube O-Ring Backseat Valve With # 10 Male Flare Thread

Check that website to see if there's another access port that's convenient to use, depending on your York Configuration (Factory/Dealer).

I hope this helps with you finding stuff.
              1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
              360 w/ MC 4350
              All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
              Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years

Comment

• Towtruck
                350 Buick
                • Oct 11, 2001

Thanks. In the interim I ordered and installed the O-ring service fittings mentioned in my earlier post. Slightly different than the original Jeep items with the service hose connections pointing outboard. They're actually easier to use than the originals. I also added a Vintage Air Hi-Lo pressure safety switch via an in-line O-ring "T", which I attached at the drier output. This was not part of the original Jeep factory arrangement. The compressor and all fittings totaled right at $300. Not too bad. The $85 Harbor Freight vacuum pump I purchased a few years ago payed for itself once again.

DSCN2362 by Rufus, on Flickr
                DSCN2360 by Rufus, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X