• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NukeGM
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 18, 2008

Lifter / Cam replacement

Got a bad lifter tick on the pass side of my 360. Is it ok to change just the lifter or will that be a bad idea because of the the cam wearing on the new lifter? I have heard that if you change just a lifter you could spin a bearing from the cam wearing onto the new lifter.

So yea or naa? I really don't have the cash right now to do a cam & lifters so if its possible to get by with just the bad lifter that would be great.
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Are you sure the tick is not a valve?

If it is a lifter, it is better to replace all lifters as a set.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• NukeGM
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 18, 2008

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
      Are you sure the tick is not a valve?

If it is a lifter, it is better to replace all lifters as a set.
      Fairly sure its a lifter, pulling the valve cover tonight, what should I look for if its a valve? Is it something that would be obvious?

Comment

• srobertsfsj
        304 AMC
        • Aug 26, 2002

Originally posted by NukeGM
        Fairly sure its a lifter, pulling the valve cover tonight, what should I look for if its a valve? Is it something that would be obvious?
        Look for a loose or sloppy rocker.
        Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
        http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Aren't broken rocker arm bridges fairly common on AMC V8s?

New lifter on an old cam is ok. Never use a used lifter on a new cam, or mix up used lifters from their positions on a used cam.

I guess a new set would be better, but I don't understand the logic of it, except that if one lifter is worn out, the others are likely close behind.

If you were really short on money, you could try taking the lifter apart and cleaning it in carb cleaner, and putting it back. Improving your oil pressure might help too.
          Last edited by tgreese; 02-05-2010, 03:01 PM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• gsmikie
            Auto Trannie God
            • Feb 18, 2001

i love a flat cam in the morning
            I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• RUBBERSIDEDOWN
              232 I6
              • Nov 17, 2009

if you decide you need stock cam. i have a brand new cam and lifter set that i would give you a great deal on.
              89 Wagoneer located north of Detroit.
              New rebuild 30. over. HEI
              Edelbrock cam, intake and 1406 carb.

Comment

• crazydog
                350 Buick
                • Nov 19, 2005

I had a tick after my engine sat for a few months without being run. I tried some Seafoam through the carb and in the oil. It fixed the tick. It is cheap and it might keep you from having to tear it apart.
                1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• NukeGM
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 18, 2008

Originally posted by crazydog
                  I had a tick after my engine sat for a few months without being run. I tried some Seafoam through the carb and in the oil. It fixed the tick. It is cheap and it might keep you from having to tear it apart.
                  Tried the seafoam already it didn't stop it. Going pull the valve cover now.

Comment

• billyj7175
                    304 AMC
                    • Sep 10, 2001

Originally posted by gsmikie
                    i love a flat cam in the morning
                    Isn't that "I love the smell of a flat cam in the morning"?...haha
                    83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                    360/727/229
                    4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• NukeGM
                      230 Tornado
                      • Nov 18, 2008

After looking at it I had a bent rocker bridge, ordering 2 new rocker arms w/bridge & saddles. Will see if that takes care of it or if a lifter is still ticking. I am thinking it still is going to need a lifter but my fingers are crossed.

Comment

• Millerluck
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 08, 2000

Just make sure the lifter is not pumped up with oil or it might bend again.

It should be slightly springy when you push down on the push rod by hand. With about a 1/16 movment.

If it feels like a rock it is pumped up. Only way I know to fix that is to remove the lifter and tare it down and drain it.

Or maybe time will drain it if you tighen the rocker and turn the engine over by hand untill that valve opens some and wait a few days??

All I know it that when that valve is all the way closed with the rockers on, you should be able to spin the push rod with your fingers.

Larry
                        88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
                        4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
                        4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
                        http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• homerj40
                          232 I6
                          • Nov 17, 2005

Removing Lifter w/heads on?

I have a similar tick. Bought an 87 GW that had sat for 10 years - flushed everything (a few times), tried MMO, trans fluid, etc.. Ticking has gone way down but now I get occasional exhaust side popping on acceleration. Oil pressure is great so I don't think the cam is gone. IF it's not a bent or broken rocker bridge can you pull the lifters with one of those probe tools? I heard that on some motors you HAVE TO pull the heads.
                          "Simpson you boob, you've destroyed us all!"

'69 J2000 Gladiator (Grover)
                          Buick 350, F.A.S.T. 4bbl EFI, TA Stage 1 manifold, ported intakes, roller rockers, Voodoo cam, full length headers, Early Bronco COIL SPRING FRONT SUSPENSION, 700R4 trans, D20 twin stick, hydroboost, front discs, A/C

'87 GW (Lucille)
                          Slowly bringing her back to life

Mine's a Hybrid - It burns gas AND rubber!

Comment

• MysticRob
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by homerj40
                            I have a similar tick. Bought an 87 GW that had sat for 10 years - flushed everything (a few times), tried MMO, trans fluid, etc.. Ticking has gone way down but now I get occasional exhaust side popping on acceleration. Oil pressure is great so I don't think the cam is gone. IF it's not a bent or broken rocker bridge can you pull the lifters with one of those probe tools? I heard that on some motors you HAVE TO pull the heads.
                            You replied to a 12yr old thread, but pop the valve cover on the suspected side, check for looseness of valvetrain, verify torque specs on the loose one, take intake off to get to bad lifter and use a magnet or your fingers to get it out.
                            --Rob--
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• homerj40
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 17, 2005

Thanks Rob! That helps to know the order to check. Cheers
                              "Simpson you boob, you've destroyed us all!"

'69 J2000 Gladiator (Grover)
                              Buick 350, F.A.S.T. 4bbl EFI, TA Stage 1 manifold, ported intakes, roller rockers, Voodoo cam, full length headers, Early Bronco COIL SPRING FRONT SUSPENSION, 700R4 trans, D20 twin stick, hydroboost, front discs, A/C

'87 GW (Lucille)
                              Slowly bringing her back to life

Mine's a Hybrid - It burns gas AND rubber!

Comment

Working...
                              X