X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

FWIW, I think it is ludicrous to compare a 6" lift on a FSJ to a "monster truck."

6" lift in Ch*vy-land is BIG.
    6" lift in FSJ-land (IMHO) is just getting up to where these things should have been from the factory.

But I will also second (never having owned a 6" spring lift) that the arch of a 6" spring will not give as good of a ride as a 4" spring.

From the info provided, I would think the 4" lift would be a good fit here...although I think FSJs with a 4" lift are still a bit on the "low" side (unless they have huge tires and chopped fenders ) <---let the flaming begin [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Freddy
      258 I6
      • Nov 23, 2003

Here's a thread from last week with pix of both, Rusty's 6" and BJ's 4". It was a different topic, but pix were what you wanted anyway.

Freddy Tran
      89 GW
      previous 83 Wag Ltd

Comment

• billyrb
        BJ's Off-Road
        • Aug 15, 2001

I like both kits, but I chose to run a 4" kit on mine with 32x11.5 procomp mud terrains. I'll need to trim the fenders for extreme off-road articulation. But, for daily driving & highway & mild off-roading, you will be fine with the above setup.
        BJ's Off-Road
        [email protected]
        Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Pman
          350 Buick
          • Apr 24, 2004

I'd go with a 4"; when you get into the 6" lift range, you are required to wear a mullet hair cut.
          Pearsall Smith
          82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
          88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
          81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
          82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• Jeeper Creeper
            232 I6
            • Apr 14, 2004

I'd go with a 4" if its a DD, plus with a bigger lift means bigger tires, and bigger tires means worse gas milage (if you care about that, because I dont!)
            1977 Wagoneer-Olive Drab, 4" BDS susp. lift, 3" body. Conn Ferr rack

1986 XJ, Hell-of lift, 35"

Comment

• Zac
              327 Rambler
              • Nov 24, 2002

I have the 6in and I dont think it is to big. I think it sits almost perfect looks wise. I have never had the 4 in kit but the 6in really doesnt seem to flex that badly

[ May 12, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Zac ]
              82 Wagoneer<br />welded 44 and detroited 14blt<br />np 208<br />rebuilt 360 36/12.50 tsl<br /><br />Thing is man, I don\'t even care.

Comment

• krejr
                258 I6
                • Mar 02, 2004

I agree with the 6". I put it on with 33's and I feel like it is about the right height now for a 4x4. I parked next to a Chevy Z11(?) 4x4 with a 3" body lift and he was still a couple of inches taller than me.
                1990 GW daily driver all stock
                1988 GW daily driver, Rusty's 6" lift, TFI upgrade, huge difference! (broadsided by an illegal alien without insurance or even a license)
                2004 GCL (hers) She needed a reliable grocery getter.
                1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible. 3 on the tree, 260 V-8. Stock, clean, head-turner

Ken

Comment

• SouthernWagon
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 20, 2003

I had been thinking about BJ's 6" lift, a 3" body lift, and some fender trimming in order to clear 35 X 12.5's. Should I re-think my plans? Forgive this newbie question, but could one re-gain some articulation with the use of revolvers?
                  1984 Grand Wagoneer<br />Stock...for now.

Comment

• SouthernWagon
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 20, 2003

I saw an earlier post in which someone was trying to decide between an SOA and revolvers or a 6" lift. I'd LIKE to do an SOA, but lack the mechanical know-how and it would cost too much to have an off-road shop do it, so my question is wil revolvers give you back some of the articulation you lose with a 6 inch lift?

Comment

• youngjeeper
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jan 24, 2003

go big or go home! 4" kits look kinda wimpy i did no other mods to get mine drivin cept what came with the kit

i got 6" lift and 33's my 88'. flex is So So, id like more but what can ya do...on my 77 ive got SOA and 36's and that will flex WAY better.
                      88' GW Stock & Mint
                      77' CJ-7
                      http://gfsj.org/forums
                      Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
                      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• SouthernWagon
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 20, 2003

Dude, that is NICE!

Comment

• Josh D
                          360 AMC
                          • Jan 17, 2002

Just for comparison sake:

4" with 33's with 'minor' fender trimming. Key is wheel size and backspacing (15X8 3.75" backspace) and yes it gets wheeled with the swaybar disconnected. I kept mine low so the kids can get in and out easy.
                          '71 J2000 Gladiator
                          '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                          '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

Working...
                          X