Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

If you want to stick it to the oil companies:

Drive Less
    Drive Slower
    Lower your weight
    Air up your tires
    Keep it tuned

As far as cost. Someone mentioned a carb is cheaper to buy. That made me realize that I have had to spend almost no money on my FI on the mustang in over 10 years. If that had been a carb it would have been a couple of kits or rebuilds. In the long run my FI will probably be less expensive.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Clem
      350 Buick
      • Jan 18, 2005

OK, so what route would anyone go if they were wanting to be above the 275 HP mark? I am researching this stuff myself right now. There is no reason a moderately built 360 can't put out 300+ HP...
      Clem Harris. <br />My other car is a 293,500 lb. locomotive.

Comment

• GED
        258 I6
        • May 20, 2002

Yes, every morning, and every drive, TBI's a delight. The engine starts well now. no more cranking for 30 seconds. No more unexpected stalling. love it.

And for the $84 ($3/gallon) fill-ups, I remind myself that in France, they pay it $6/gallon.
        Gilles-Eric
        "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

Originally posted by Clem:
          OK, so what route would anyone go if they were wanting to be above the 275 HP mark? I am researching this stuff myself right now. There is no reason a moderately built 360 can't put out 300+ HP...
          My boss has a 350 chevy in a CJ with the Holley 2D and it was dyno tuned to 320hp. Holley says 275hp but it will support more. And, CFM requirement increase with RPM so if you keep it under 4500-5000, there shouldn't be a problem.
          David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
          83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
          10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Serious Johnson
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • May 19, 2002

It's possible to have a powerful and reasonably efficient FSJ. My Wag gets right at 20 MPG if I try hard, 15 or so farting around, and can drop to 10 with very heavy towing or lots of tire smoke. It's hit 22 MPG, but not on a verifiable round-trip. I'd estimate flywheel HP at around 250-275. The basic setup:

360, .030 over, +-9.25:1 compression.
            Mildly ported/cleaned-up heads w/ 3-angle.
            Stock (port matched) exhaust manifold w/ very quiet single 3".
            Summit K8600 cam, Crane springs.
            Performer intake, GM TBI w/ custom chip.
            Stock air filter housing w/ cold air hose intact, K&N element.
            Stock distributor (w/ advance locked-out), TFI.
            T-18a manual tranny (probably where almost all the efficiency gain was acheived), 208, 3.73s, 33s, 4" lift.
            Mobil-1 0W20 in the motor, Redline synthetic in the boxes.

When the thing was stock (360/727/229/2.72s/28s, no lift) it could eke-out 13 MPG @ 75 MPH, 11-12 @ 50 MPH (torque converter loss with the tall gears & non-lockup), and 7-9 in town. Towing or tire smoke were not options.

I recently rented a Toyota Sequoia, and its performance & efficiency were both just a slight tick below those of my old Wag, and it got stuck in my driveawy.

S.J.

[ April 15, 2006, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Serious Johnson ]
            "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
            360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
            T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Eugene 1
              304 AMC
              • Feb 04, 2006

thats great
              JEEP
              2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• DenverWoody
                232 I6
                • Oct 11, 2015

Originally posted by Eugene 1
                thats great
                Reviving this thread, as lots of things have changed since 2006.

I was recently quoted $3000 for a Howell TBI conversion, all-inclusive with tuning, exhaust, etc., by a very reputable Denver-area mechanic with FSJ experience.

Am I out of my mind for considering?
                Life Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Before you decide on a Howell, I suggest you contact Bill-USN-1.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• DenverWoody
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 11, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. Lots to read up on.

Setting aside durability, which I'm sure many can attest to, my question is this:

Given that the Howell includes smog certification (Denver emissions differ from the rest of the state and are pretty strict) and is presumably backed by a factory warranty and support, is the Hamilton (or any kit/ setup available on the boards) really worth it?

My thought is that it's not, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. Will probably stick to the stock carb and tune it as much as the factory setup allows, or go for the real deal TBI. No half measures, I always say.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

I'm in CA and have a junkyard system complete with timing control (howell legal kit doesn't do timing control).
                      If I can pass smog here so can you there.

Were it me buying a system and paying someone else to install it Howell wouldn't be my first choice.
                      Trade some emails with Bill, and make your own decision.
                      Tony

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

There's no question that either a junkyard system or Bill's conversion can be made to run clean enough to pass the tailpipe test. But it should not pass the visual, if you have one. In California, you are supposed to have an approval number (a CARB number) for any aftermarket equipment that affects emissions. I can't explain why Tony's conversion passes, but it's my understanding that it should not. Throttle body injection is obviously not a carburetor, and the inspection station's console will tell them that's what the car should have. The Howell CARB-approved kit is 50 states certified, so it is certain to pass in your locale.

Check what your local inspection includes. If it has a strict visual, then you may not pass with Bill's or a junkyard system. If all you need is a tailpipe test, then there is no reason to go with Howell, unless you just like their product.
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Ok, here are your requirements - http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...n-program-faq/

The basic test is a tailpipe test on a dynamometer. This is about the dynamometer - http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt24.pdf

So you will be held to some tailpipe gas (NOx, CO, HC) standards, which should be easy to pass if all your other emissions equipment (ie EGR, vapor recovery) is present. There is also a statement that you can fail because emissions equipment is missing. So they could fail you if you don't have the factory emissions equipment - which could be broadly defined to include the original carburetor. I would guess that you will pass if the tailpipe test is good, and maybe they will look under the hood. Certainly you need to have working vapor recovery, since they will test the gas cap sealing somehow. Look at the middle of the above page for ways you can fail the test. There is no mention of a visual inspection.

I'd suggest you find your local Jeep/4x4 forum and ask there about what the inspectors will do. IIRC there is a fairly active Colorado FSJ association, and members there will have first-hand experience dealing with the CO emissions laws http://www.cfsja.org/
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• DenverWoody
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 11, 2015

Thankfully I passed emissions two weeks ago when I purchased the car, so whatever I decide to go with won't be an issue for two years.

That said, I'm approaching every modification/ repair/ improvement with longevity in mind, as I expect to be buried in this thing. Any reason to worry about junkyard or DIY kits failing after extended use? Same question for Howell kit?

Comment

• DenverWoody
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 11, 2015

Thanks Babywag. If I might ask, what would be your first choice?

Originally posted by babywag
                              I'm in CA and have a junkyard system complete with timing control (howell legal kit doesn't do timing control).
                              If I can pass smog here so can you there.

Were it me buying a system and paying someone else to install it Howell wouldn't be my first choice.
                              Trade some emails with Bill, and make your own decision.

Comment

• babywag
                                out of order
                                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by DenverWoody
                                Thanks Babywag. If I might ask, what would be your first choice?
                                I'd go with a system from Bill. I've helped people with a Howell system after they gave up trying/waiting for Howell to get it right.
                                He's a stand up guy, and seriously doubt he'd leave anyone hanging.
                                His sytem is better, and his support is probably better.
                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X