• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eugene 1
    304 AMC
    • Feb 04, 2006

Holley Projection or Howell EFI?

Hey guys I know these questions have come up before:
    Who is running either of these set ups? how simple or hard were they to install and get functioning properly? and what was your Performance and Fuel mileage like? Thanks E.

[ April 13, 2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Eugene 1 ]
    JEEP
    2005 Ram 1500 HemI
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Holley analog projection 2bbl. Probably the most simple to install. Simple to tune but also the 'least' tuneable. If you get this unit go with the closed loop.

I like it. I average around 10 to 11mpg. I drove it to Tucson and got over 12mpg.

I have had one on my mustang for over 10 years and it works fine. One injector went bad, other than that no problems.

Good drivability. Good off the line throttle response. Kinda flat in a few spots.

Only supports up to 275hp.

I got this particular unit because I have on my mustang and I plan to switch it out for carbs. I figured I would then have spare parts.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Eugene 1
      304 AMC
      • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by will e:
      Holley analog projection 2bbl. Probably the most simple to install. Simple to tune but also the 'least' tuneable. If you get this unit go with the closed loop.

I like it. I average around 10 to 11mpg. I drove it to Tucson and got over 12mpg.

I have had one on my mustang for over 10 years and it works fine. One injector went bad, other than that no problems.

Good drivability. Good off the line throttle response. Kinda flat in a few spots.

I got this particular unit because I have on my mustang and I plan to switch it out for carbs. I figured I would then have spare parts.
      Originally posted by will e:

was that 10 or 11 in town? was there any tuning issues?
      JEEP
      2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• brent
        304 AMC
        • Feb 14, 2003

WillE: have followed threads and contacted 3 efi joints since I've been here. I'm going to try to make this a merry-xmas-to-me reality when the time comes.
        But 11-12 mpg? I was expecting (and led to believe) that ALL efis/tbis would put you in the mid-teen or better range.At what point did I become delusional? (loaded question..)
        Brent
        79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
        -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• Eugene 1
          304 AMC
          • Feb 04, 2006

Im with you on that .I was expecting at least 14 or better
          JEEP
          2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• GED
            258 I6
            • May 20, 2002

My TBI ain't tuned. But I'm at 9 MPG in town. (12 on highway with lightfoot).
            Gilles-Eric
            "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

• 89grand
              Resident ***hole
              • Feb 23, 2003

So what? The mileage sucks, it's going to no matter what you do. The driveability benefits are what really makes EFI worthwhile. I'd rather have an EFI system that gets 10mpg than a carburetor set up that gets 10mpg.

I really don't think there's a magical cure for ****ty gas mileage with the things.

That said, I still run a carb unfortunately.
              Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
              31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
              2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
              2000 Jeep Wrangler
              1988 Cadillac Brougham
              1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
              1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• brent
                304 AMC
                • Feb 14, 2003

89:" I'd rather have an EFI system that gets 10mpg than a carburetor set up that gets 10mpg."

As I don't have it either--and want it bad---are you really saying by just having an FSJ that's not
                a rotten dog on the hills, then its worth it?
                Thats my BIGGEST pet peeve/gripe, and, I'll buy that argument...
                79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
                -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• will e
                  Always Broke
                  • Nov 16, 2001

That's 10 to 11, mixed driving. Closed loop on.
                  My driving 'style' has a little to do with it. With the upgrade from the tired 360 to the rebuilt 401 I no longer drive the waggy like a granny.

Remember. I have the old Holley 2bbl projection ANALOG unit. LEAST TUNABLE. However, once installed I was able to tune it to 'drive' in about 1 hour (after a couple of problems - Thanks keith for helping me push).

With a TBI (and a carb) you still end up tuning to the most 'lean' cyl. That means that the other 7 are running a little rich. You might get better milage with a MPFI unit. You might do better with something that measure MAP and has more fuel curves available.

Regardless of your carb it will not be easy to get mid teen milage from a brick with an AT and no locking torque converter.

As a side note. I do get better gas milage from this setup than from the old 360 with the 2bbl even though I drove that like a granny.
                  82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• will e
                    Always Broke
                    • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by brent:
                    89:" I'd rather have an EFI system that gets 10mpg than a carburetor set up that gets 10mpg."

As I don't have it either--and want it bad---are you really saying by just having an FSJ that's not
                    a rotten dog on the hills, then its worth it?
                    Thats my BIGGEST pet peeve/gripe, and, I'll buy that argument...
                    And yes! My first trail ride (Redington Pass in Tucson) and NO STUBLE, NO STALLING and good throttle response. For me that was one of the big selling points.

Comment

• wickedwagon767
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 26, 2005

89Grand drew the line in the right spot

Lets face it, FSJ's aren't going to get good mileage. If 'good' mileage to you is 14-16mpg then you're just lowering the bar.If you want mileage, get a little import that gets 40mpg to drive regularly and save a couple hundred dollars a month in gas to put into a 4bbl TBI upgrade. fuel injection from simple TBI setups to CFI,DPI and TPI......is just a no-brainer. I've had a couple of trucks with smoothish running carbs that I was somewhat satisfied with at the time,but after getting some seasoning and driving the '97 4x4 Ram I had , the '97 vortec350 chevy I had and the '91 TBI Suburban I drive now.....I will never willingly install a carburator again as long as I live. Sure, they're about half the price ,or less, than a full TBI setup.....but you get what you pay for my friends. Sure, the Edelbrock 1406 on my Wagoneer right now works very well running around on the street.

But I know a 4bbl TBI setup would run soooooo smooth on/off road and make me wet my pants.

Not because the mileage would raise a hair,maybe,but because all-around driveability dramatically improves and I could nearly run upside down and dig along stumble-free.

Comment

• Eugene 1
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by wickedwagon767:
                        89Grand drew the line in the right spot

Lets face it, FSJ's aren't going to get good mileage. If 'good' mileage to you is 14-16mpg then you're just lowering the bar.If you want mileage, get a little import that gets 40mpg to drive regularly and save a couple hundred dollars a month in gas to put into a 4bbl TBI upgrade. fuel injection from simple TBI setups to CFI,DPI and TPI......is just a no-brainer. I've had a couple of trucks with smoothish running carbs that I was somewhat satisfied with at the time,but after getting some seasoning and driving the '97 4x4 Ram I had , the '97 vortec350 chevy I had and the '91 TBI Suburban I drive now.....I will never willingly install a carburator again as long as I live. Sure, they're about half the price ,or less, than a full TBI setup.....but you get what you pay for my friends. Sure, the Edelbrock 1406 on my Wagoneer right now works very well running around on the street.

But I know a 4bbl TBI setup would run soooooo smooth on/off road and make me wet my pants.

Not because the mileage would raise a hair,maybe,but because all-around driveability dramatically improves and I could nearly run upside down and dig along stumble-free.
                        The fuel mileage is not my main concern,but 14-16 is better than 7-10...and i like the idea of better driveability.
                        JEEP
                        2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• 475thFG
                          327 Rambler
                          • Nov 09, 2004

About the only guaranteed way to make a FSJ (or any older full size US truck or SUV with a V8 built) get better than 14 or 15 mpg (if you're lucky enough to get that) is to increase efficiency, which means advancing timing and increasing compression, which further means burning fuel that isn't readily available. To make a significant difference, you'd need about 11 to 1 or better, which means burning at least 115 octane fuel.

Personally, I'm leaning towards burning ethanol. After I finish the building project I'm currently on, I'm going to order the plans for a reflux still, plant about 30 acres of corn, and do my best to fly the bird at the oil companies. My dodge work truck gets 10 mpg if I'm easy on the pedal, and even my wife's suburban struggles to make 15. I'm sick of the price game we get daily from oil companies. It takes maybe a buck to get a barrel of oil out of the ground, and it's selling for over $60? What a crock.
                          81 Cherokee, 360 auto

88 GW, 360 auto, perfect body and now running.

88 Comanche, 6 banger, auto w/overdrive (I'd really like to get rid of this stupid thing...I can't stand it)

(UPDATE: Chanting "I got my glaaaassss, I got my glaaaasss")

Comment

Holley 2D, 10-12mpg w/ closed loop kit. As was said, I have a small flat spot while the engine is at about 140 deg but in general I love it. The tires and 3.31 gears don't help with the stop and go fuel consumption, but it keep my rpm's down and the lift doesn't help on the freeway. When the Wag was in stock form it got 10-12 city, 13-15hwy with the 2150 carb. But it runs sooo much better now with the TBI.

[ April 14, 2006, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Chevelleguy ]
                            David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                            83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                            10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• wickedwagon767
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 26, 2005

475thFG:

If you're serious, I commend you. Beyond the fact that I just paid over $60 to give my Suburban 7/8 of a tank @ 2.75/gal the supply and demand felanderers in the oil companys make me sick. To keep this from turning into a rant, I'll keep it short. They make more profit than any one of them will ever spend and the excess money just goes back into making more. We need a serious alternatively-powered vehicle to compete on the market so that they are forced to lower their prices. $3/gallon is rape.

BTW: I could always remove the doors and cut the top on my Wag for mileage tho the wind drag on the freeway and taking large bugs to the face doesn't seem promising at first

they could be tasty?

Comment

Working...
                              X