Alternator pulley removal - what's the secret??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoffshore
    232 I6
    • Dec 12, 2010

Alternator pulley removal - what's the secret??

So, I've got to change the alternator. Of course the Pulleys aren't the same, which I can completely understand. What's the dang secret for removing these pieces of junk? I've now got a Allen key poking through the inside of a socket using a pipe wrench on thd outside of the socket and another wrench on the outside of the Allen wrench, I've already bent a craftsman wrench on the Allen key........,There has got to be a simpler way!!!!!
    1988 Grand Wagoneer -Stock-Dark Baltic Blue
    1989 Grand Wagoneer -Stock-White-
  • sld
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 04, 2006

Someone else just asked this and it didn't come off as I would have thought.
    1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 10, 2001

On most of them I can hold the pulley by hand with a rag, and hit the nut with an air impact and they pop loose.
      Chad
      "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
      88Wag
      87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      83Cherokee WT
      82J20
      Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Originally posted by scoffshore
        So, I've got to change the alternator. Of course the Pulleys aren't the same, which I can completely understand. What's the dang secret for removing these pieces of junk? I've now got a Allen key poking through the inside of a socket using a pipe wrench on thd outside of the socket and another wrench on the outside of the Allen wrench, I've already bent a craftsman wrench on the Allen key........,There has got to be a simpler way!!!!!
        Impact wrench is the only way I've ever done it.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Rich88
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 20, 2008

Try this...

Originally posted by scoffshore
          First time I saw this done was at the auto parts store. After a little bit of , I brought the old one in with the pulley still on to have them transfer it to the new. All the guy did was put it on the floor in such a way as to put his sneakered foot against the pulley and using an electric impact wrench, the nut thing spun right off. A few years later, I did same myself. Twice in fact, except using an air impact wrench. Doesn't work if you try it slowly with a breaker bar. Apparently the nut needs the instant impact from the impact wrench to break free.
          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• scoffshore
            232 I6
            • Dec 12, 2010

Of course my compressor is fubared right now. I got it off the new one ok after u figured my setup out, but the old was is on tight!

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

X 3,000 on the impact. Or take it to muffler shop right before lunch. Offer $20 for them to swap pulleys for you.

Often the parts store where you bought the alternator will have an impact wrench for just this reason and they will be happy to help you out.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• sld
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 04, 2006

OK, I did a search and it wasn't the alternator. However, I did find this site on the web.
                Remove the alternator from the vehicle. The pulley should be attached to the alternator.

Read more: How to Remove a Pulley From an Alternator | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5752817_remo...#ixzz1lXP7q5k0 It seems as if the most important step is step #1, right after removing it from the vechicle, verify the pulley is attached to the alternator I suppose if it isn't attached, you can stop there on the flow chart.
                1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• Rich88
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by sld
                  However, I did find this site on the web.[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
                  Jeez...Apparently this guy is an idiot or a clean-fingered engineer who never held a tool or tried his own advice.
                  Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                  88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                  "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• scoffshore
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 12, 2010

Originally posted by Rich88
                    Jeez...Apparently this guy is an idiot or a clean-fingered engineer who never held a tool or tried his own advice.
                    I wish it were that easy. Guess I'm going to have to wait for the other half to get back, or wait until tomorrow and just drive something else.

Bent a nice size wrench....

Comment

• cherokees
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 14, 2008

I recently ran into this myself,thinking it is some special nut of some sort. I took mine to a local alt shop. I thought they would have some machine that pressed it off. only to find they just beat the crap out of it with a hammer. The did it for free. Guy at the shop said the sleeve in the center has to be beat/pushed in first, then pulley can slide off.
                      76 Cherokee W/T,Quadratrac,AMC 360,Edelbrock carb and intake,TFI Ignition,CS-144.

Comment

• firedriver
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 24, 2011

Put an alt on my Wag about 2 weeks ago and I had no trouble switching the pulleys using an impact wrench.
                        1983 Wagoneer
                        360/727/229
                        SOA/SF and 35's

Comment

• j20brett
                          360 AMC
                          • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by cherokees
                          I recently ran into this myself,thinking it is some special nut of some sort. I took mine to a local alt shop. I thought they would have some machine that pressed it off. only to find they just beat the crap out of it with a hammer. The did it for free. Guy at the shop said the sleeve in the center has to be beat/pushed in first, then pulley can slide off.
                          That is correct. When i swapped in the cs144 Alt, the shop had to disassemble the brand new alternator, and proceed to wail on the tapered split sleave til it finally came loose. Ive never seen one taken apart before and im glad someone else did it for me.
                          Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                          X