• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WWI Flying Ace
    232 I6
    • Feb 10, 2010

Frankenstein FSJ

So, I’ve been planning this project for a while…Got the Beast (81 Wagoneer with a 360 and a 4 inch lift kit) in March. Rusted out rockers panels (no surprise there!) Got a great deal on it though. Rust underneath, but my shop looked it over and said the frame is ok, it is just surface rust. It does need a new gas tank skid plate, but that is in the future. My shop gave me a quote for the rust…I know they do excellent work but I’m only going to have them do the stuff I could never undertake, like getting the AC working again. There is a guy in the AMC club here that had AMC NOS rockers, but he wanted more than I was willing to pay for them. I am sure they were cherry parts, but here’s the thing…I’ll never see a dime back from this vehicle. I just can't see spending way too much on repairs.
    As for the frame rust, and the rocker panels…Recently I found the Eastwood catalog…been looking at their rust encapsulater, etc etc. Looks like great products, and I was getting ready to take the plunge…was going to get the frame paint they have, and the rust encapsulater. Then, I was going to spray on truck bed liner on the bottom foot or so of the doors and on the whole underneath. Was going to paint the exhaust with their special exhaust paint too. That was the plan.
    The I discovered JC Whitney and Carparts.com. THEY have purpose built rocker panels for $25 bucks each. Plus the shipping because they were a little heavy…it was about $80 bucks for both sides. And, they don’t require you to take the old rockers off, you just slap these suckers on overtop. They get “welded, riveted, or screwed on”. I found at Home Depot and Loews they have rust converter too, it isn’t “official automotive rust conversion spray”, it is from LockTite and it is $2 bucks less per can. And, they have the rubber coating in a spray can too…it is not “official truck bedliner” but it is exactly what I need. And, I got self tapping metal-to-metal screws. This is perfect, because I cleaned out the garage and the basement of all the unopened leftover home improvement stuff we never used after our big remodel and took it back to Lowe’s and Home Depot and got store credit, which I used to pick up the above items. So instead of paying Eastwood a couple C-notes, I got all this “not automotive Eastwood, but still ok in my book” spray stuff.
    Then I went to Pep Boys and found some frame and rollbar paint. I splurged on a couple cans, although I could probably have just used the rubberized stuff. Pep Boys also had some high temp exhaust paint, so I got a can of that for the exhaust pipe/muffler. It was a bit less than Eastwood, and I didn’t have to wait for shipping.
    The projectt will take two or three days. I have some “Honeydo” list to take care of tomorrow AM but in the afternoon, I’m going to spray rust killer and then bolt the rocker panel on the right side. That way if I mess it up, hopefully I’ll learn and not repeat the mistake when I do the left side, since that is the side I’ll be walking up to when I get in the Jeep to drive it. The second time I work on it I’ll be working the driver’s side rocker panel. The third time, I’ll spray the underside with the rust killer and then spray on the rubberized stuff, also the bottom part of the doors and the rocker panels. The final time, I’ll paint the exhaust with the special paint and paint the frame with the special frame paint.
    That’s my project and the plan to carry it out. I am not restoring it. I am having a great time working on it, but it ain’t no restoration. Put it this way…the theme for the Beast for all cosmetics is “used or cheapest possible”, and get it better than it currently is. Mechanicals? I’ll have my shop do them. They do awesome work and will make sure that everything is done right. But for the stuff I can muddle through, well, where’s that rattlecan? I know I set it down here somewhere…
    I’ll come back and report as I work through it, and will also try to post pictures. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by WWI Flying Ace; 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM.
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2001 Buick Century

?I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.?
    -Jonathan Swift
  • Skeeter74
    258 I6
    • Sep 25, 2009

Good luck, sir. I am thinking of a cheap, spelled rattle can, repaint and spray can bed liner idea myself.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tatsadasayago
    "And on the 7th day god created the Full Sized Jeep and he saw that it was good. He gave these mechanical marvels to his chosen ones and they went wheeling in style and comfort!"

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
      232 I6
      • Feb 10, 2010

Update #1

I was getting ready to start the rocker panels and was looking at the extent of the rust. The panels are pretty bad…like, you can see to China through that hole bad, but the panels I have will take care of that. The Empire of the Rust...

Before I went to the carwash to get everything clean, I noticed my daughter had driven the Jeep last.

However, when I got to the car wash and pulled up the carpeting in front of the back seat to get the lay of the land, I saw the…tire.

Gaping holes in the floorboards. OK, so part of this project is to know when to fold ‘em too. The floorboards will have to be fixed. Dang…that is more than I can do I think. I'll start a thread asking for help on that one, but for now, back to our story. So, not wanting to waste the afternoon, I went to Plan B…the rust spray on the frame! First, get the Beast into the pod bay, Hal…and it fits (barely). You can see the white triangle of the AMC emblem I spray painted on the garage wall a couple weeks ago...

I spent an hour or so chipping at the rust underneath with an old grill brush (we needed a new one anyway)…then sprayed that stuff on…7 or 8 cans of the rust converter. Took a while but its all on. So, next time I am out there, I’ll spray the frame paint black and also the exhaust pipe and muffler with the special hi temp paint.

After that is done, I’ll have to get the floorboards fixed. Just not sure when that will be, unfortunately. But then I’ll use my patch panels for the rockers and the black on the bottom of the doors after the floor pan is fixed. No point in doing it sooner. Not quite what I wanted to do this weekend, but good to have something done!
      Last edited by WWI Flying Ace; 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM.
      1981 Jeep Wagoneer
      2007 Jeep Commander
      1973 AMC Javelin AMX
      2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• ClovisMan
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 05, 2009

Man, thats A LOT of rust!!!! Probably be a good parts vehicle for one a little more solid. Does your frame look like swiss cheese too?
        1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• Coryd55
          350 Buick
          • Jan 23, 2010

Don't quit because of the rust.

Mine is/was just as bad - see my thread in my sig. It is coming along.

It is definitely worth it to see your progress if you decide to tackle it. Great feeling of accomplishment
          1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• Rich88
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 20, 2008

You really need a 3/8" drill with all manners and shapes of rotory wire brush attachments and decent eye goggles. Makes things go a lot faster and does a much better job than hand scraping.

Better yet is sand blasting, after shrouding the immediate area with clear plastic.

Best is a die grinder to just cut the cancerous panels out and rivet in repalacement metal after which you primer paint followed by undercoating.

Been there - done all that, and still a long ways to go.

Next is welding in replacement sections on rusted out frame work.
            Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
            88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
            "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
              232 I6
              • Feb 10, 2010

Originally posted by ClovisMan
              Man, thats A LOT of rust!!!! Probably be a good parts vehicle for one a little more solid. Does your frame look like swiss cheese too?
              Nah, frame's solid...just the floor pan and the rockers are bad.

Originally posted by Coryd55
              Don't quit because of the rust.

Mine is/was just as bad - see my thread in my sig. It is coming along.

It is definitely worth it to see your progress if you decide to tackle it. Great feeling of accomplishment
              That's the plan...got to fix the floor pan now before I can do the rockers, but I'll get there! I hope...will deffenitely be leaning on the forum for help though.

1981 Jeep Wagoneer
              2007 Jeep Commander
              1973 AMC Javelin AMX
              2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                232 I6
                • Feb 10, 2010

OK...finally got the floor pans done (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=126905), and ready to put in the new interior, but waiting for the weather to improve (so the adhesive will work). Also, got the frame all painted, and the underside all rust killed and got the rubberized spray done on the whole undercarrisage/underneath. The past couple days I took advantage of the long weekend, and put on the passenger side rocker panel replacement! Then sealed it up, and sprayed in a can of that spray foam from home depot. I was looking at the driver's side, and it is in need of bondo but it is not bad enough to justify the installing of the driver's rocker panel replacement I have. So, I'll sell the replacement rocker panel that I got. I also sprayed a can of the spray foam in the driver's side. I'm sure the neighbors are scratching their heads about the foam coming out of the rocker panel, but I'll cut it off and then bondo it...next time I have a day off again and the weather cooperates, it will be bondo time. That will bring the rocker on the driver's side back, and then of course the fenders behind the wheels. And then, the black spray on the bottom of the doors/fenders will go on. Make no mistake, this is a chop job. If I paid someone for bodywork and they gave me back what I am doing, I'd be mad. But for me, doing it myself, I'm really having a good time and it is great to see things progressing! I love my Wagoneer. Thank you AMC! Thanks to everyone on the forum for your help and support!
                Last edited by WWI Flying Ace; 12-25-2011, 08:41 AM.
                1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                2007 Jeep Commander
                1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by WWI Flying Ace
                  It does need a new gas tank skid plate, but that is in the future.
                  Make a good judgement call on that. That's not really a skid plate that's the fuel tank mount that holds the whole thing up under the car.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 10, 2010

Hmmm...thanks for the tip.

In that case maybe I'll move the skid plate up the list.
                    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                    2007 Jeep Commander
                    1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                    2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 10, 2010

Decided to put on the driver's side rocker panel I had anyway, rather than sell it. I had it sitting there in the garage after all, and there will be enough bondo on this thing when I am done. May as well have some good metal parts too.
                      Got it on, sealed, and painted the undercoat of rust preventative on it yesterday, with just enough time for it all to dry before the rain came today. Man, you can really cut the hell out of your fingers when working with sheet metal! But it is great to be making progress, and making more room in the garage too with the parts actually on the car instead of just leaning against the wall! While I was underneath putting the seam sealant on, I got a nice slice in my forehead from a sharp edge sticking off the nuked gas tank skid plate. Looks like that will be next on the "parts to buy" list now. Thanks for the tip Joe...it is at the top of the list now that it has Ginsu-ed me! This weekend, the work I do on the Waggy will end with a nice tetanus shot at the minute clinic!
                      1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                      2007 Jeep Commander
                      1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                      2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• mudhunter241
                        258 I6
                        • Jan 14, 2008

gets some cheap mechanic gloves and some safty glasses. Heavymetalthunder cut his finger down to the bone on his, and I somehow got a rust partical stuck in my eye. 5 trips later to the eye doctor he got it out. Im not tring to be a butthead just know form experience that its no fun and adds to the overall cost to the project!! haha!! we have a saying out by us you cut it and it cuts you
                        91 XJ 4.0/AX15/NP231 4.5 Rustys
                        CUSTOM BUMPERS ROOF RACK and ROCKERS

74 J 10 Mean Green Monster

04 RANGER 4.0 V6 DAILY DRIVER

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 10, 2010

Well said! I have been doing quite a bit of cutting so I guess it owed me one or two or three!

I had my safety glasses on and I have gloves but I didn't have them on, because I was "just trying to do this one last thing" before heading in when I got sliced. That is always how it goes...lesson learned! Down to the bone is mucho bad! Hope HeavyMetalThunder healed up ok.

Sorry to hear about your eye too! Did you get back to 100% after that got that chunk of metal out? That sounds horrible...my tetanus shot was pretty painless by comparrison.

Thanks for the advice, it is well taken. I'm learning as I go on this project and am glad to hear the war stories to learn from them too.
                          1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                          2007 Jeep Commander
                          1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                          2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• mudhunter241
                            258 I6
                            • Jan 14, 2008

Heavymetal thunder has 9 good working fingers after that, and I say I have a twinkle in my eye! Good news for me was it missed the pupil so yep 100%.
                            91 XJ 4.0/AX15/NP231 4.5 Rustys
                            CUSTOM BUMPERS ROOF RACK and ROCKERS

74 J 10 Mean Green Monster

04 RANGER 4.0 V6 DAILY DRIVER

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 10, 2010

Here's the "before" pic:

And here is the "after" pic:

Other side looks pretty much the same. The tetanus shot was worth it!
                              1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                              2007 Jeep Commander
                              1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                              2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                              X