• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shimniok
    360 AMC
    • Jan 08, 2003

Originally posted by tadsal
    Yes, you can.
    It's wrong as far as it applies to our FSJ's as long as you mount the SOA perches in the same orientation to the original perches.

I'm not tooting my stuff here, but unless you rotate the pinion up, you did not change anything. Nothing, Nada, No Place, No How.

With all due respect, I have asked several times to have that portion of the CFSJA writeup edited for accuracy, that portion is just BS.
    I doubt the author has ever performed an SOA himself or drives a SOA FSJ rig.

I drive one (a SOA FSJ rig) almost daily, I drive one on the interstate at 65-75 mph, some times for 200 miles at a shot.

(yes, I know who the author is, he's a mod here and a good friend of friends of mine, but I still think it's a bunch of second hand compiled bull ****).
    Thanks, I appreciate your feedback (some of it). And yes, it is compiled from various sources. What other choice is there short of personally installing every possible lift combination myself?

Anyway, could you be more specific as to what is bull**** in the article? I'd rather it be accurate but general comments don't help. Maybe I could make it available on ifsja for review/commentary.

The reason the knuckle thing is in there is based on articles I've read in various 4x rags. I could see where the caster angle probably doesn't change if your perches are right, as you've said.

Feel free to email or IM me rather than cluttering up this thread. (I guess I should've pm'ed you. Oops... ) I'll go start a thread now...

Thanks,
    Michael
    Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
    1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
    Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• j20krawler
      232 I6
      • Jul 24, 2006

the only problem i have now is that.... i dont think i have the correct knuckles, mine look different than the ones in these pictures, i will post a pick of them, my truck is a 79 j20 it has the dana 44 up-front but is it diffrent in that year... ill be sure to update with pics in a sec, (oh and one more thing THANKS FOR THE AWESOME HELP AND QUICK RESPONCE!!!)

got the pics... it looks like mine is different, but is that because you have to get the top completely machined flat??
      Last edited by j20krawler; 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• malodin
        304 AMC
        • Sep 03, 2004

j20 you dont have flat top knuckles as they stopped them in late 79 or early 80(somewhere around there) in which case you will have to find a set in a junk yard or your local c/l you can get these from full size chevy and jeeps(most easily found)

read up on that then figure out what you need, if you need a set of flat top knuckles pm me im sure i have a set i can mill/drill/tap at a decent price.
        1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• j20krawler
          232 I6
          • Jul 24, 2006

yea i will get back to you on that, im just getting ready to do the suspension after i take care of other stuff... floor panels, carborator, transfercase chain, gears, interior.... no big deal

if only i could figure out how to print me some real money, then i would just put in some aftermarket d60's with full hydrolic steering and a linked suspension... ill tell you guys how to do it when i get the magic money maker machine i saw on Ebay!
          Last edited by j20krawler; 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• malodin
            304 AMC
            • Sep 03, 2004

here is some pictures of my almost finished setup, i am using the stock fsj drag link and tierod(there is enough adjustment in the sleeve to make up for the chevy axle being 3" wider, as my high steer arms are pointed in a little bit as it is.

this next pic is the best shot, look how flat that is, now my budy carl pointed out that under the weight of the body and everything it may end up going up, so i may end up needing a non drop pitman arm.

1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• LYNCHMOB
              232 I6
              • May 05, 2002

What about D60 SOA?

I'm getting ready to put a cummins turbo diesel drivetrain in my '82 Cherokee. I'm going to put the D60 axles in my cherokee and at the same time I wanted to do a SOA conversion. Will I need the high steer kit for the D60, and does it take the same knuckle? I'm guessing that it's not the same knuckle as the 44, so what problems will I run into with this conversion? Where can I get the parts, or should I leave it a spring under axle?
              Thanks for your help,
              Ryan
              w/ '99 24v cummins,
              NV4500
              NP 241
              Dana 60 Front axle
              Dana 70-HD Rear axle
              37x12.50x17
              6"-9" lift w/ SOA conversion

Comment

• malodin
                304 AMC
                • Sep 03, 2004

d60 is different knuckles, they are easier to make high steer arms for than the d44 knuckles.

Comment

• Slick Willie
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 06, 2005

High steer arms are plentiful for D60's. Many people on this board have D60's, including me, so you can find many steering solution writeups if you take a look around. High steer or crossover are your stock solutions.
                  -Will
                  '86 Wagoneer 360/727/Stak 3 speed/HP60/FF14/welded 4.10's/~3" Front Springs/Chevy 63's/42's/hummer beadlocks/topless/8 point cage/half doors

Originally posted by rockjeep44
                  After this weekend chicks are gonna need suspenders to keep their panties up when I roll in

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by LYNCHMOB
                    I'm getting ready to put a cummins turbo diesel drivetrain in my '82 Cherokee. I'm going to put the D60 axles in my cherokee and at the same time I wanted to do a SOA conversion. Will I need the high steer kit for the D60, and does it take the same knuckle? I'm guessing that it's not the same knuckle as the 44, so what problems will I run into with this conversion? Where can I get the parts, or should I leave it a spring under axle?
                    Thanks for your help,
                    Ryan
                    You have a front D60 that is SUA?
                    I guess that happened on some rigs, not sure?
                    What rig did the D60's come from?
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• LYNCHMOB
                      232 I6
                      • May 05, 2002

Originally posted by tadsal
                      You have a front D60 that is SUA?
                      I guess that happened on some rigs, not sure?
                      What rig did the D60's come from?
                      No, the D60's are coming out of a '98 dodge diesel 4x4. It has a coil over front suspension and my '82 cherokee has a D44 SUA, so I will have to convert the D60 to SOA or SUA. My cherokee 75% DD and 25% trail rig. I hope to do these mods and raise that trail rig percentage up some, but I want it to be safe for me and my family on the highway. Any input is welcome.
                      Ryan
                      w/ '99 24v cummins,
                      NV4500
                      NP 241
                      Dana 60 Front axle
                      Dana 70-HD Rear axle
                      37x12.50x17

Comment

• Tad
                        • Nov 30, 2001

Gotcha, I'm just not much up on D60's.
                        I want it to be safe for me and my family on the highway
                        Either SOA or SUA can be safe on or off road when setup properly.
                        This thread dealt primarily with D44 steering, which I find quite safe SOA on the highway, I'm sure a D60 can have the same if not better handling characteristics.
                        As long as mods are done correctly and with proper planning there's no reason not to have both worlds.
                        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• LYNCHMOB
                          232 I6
                          • May 05, 2002

While we are on steering solutions, has anyone ever used a rack and pinion setup on there full size jeep? I don't know much about them, but my buddy asked if I had thought about it. Obviously I hadn't.
                          Thanks,
                          Ryan
                          w/ '99 24v cummins,
                          NV4500
                          NP 241
                          Dana 60 Front axle
                          Dana 70-HD Rear axle
                          37x12.50x17

Comment

• Mahamotorworks
                            327 Rambler
                            • Sep 11, 2007

I am planning to go SOA on my 77 Wagoneer. I know that I will probaly need to do a High Steer adjustment on it. I just dont know what kit to buy. If I go with just the Arms then I will have to buy new tie rod ends/arms. In the end it will be close to the same price as the kit from BJ's off road that has the tie rod ends and includes a nuckle that has the high steer built it to it. I guess I just need to look everything over. I have the knowledge needed to do this type fo mod.

Is there any one out there that wished that they had just bought the kit instead of trying to peice everything together? Or vise-versa?

Thanks

MAHA
                            1989 Grand Wagoneer Engein Reaplacement: In Planing Stages.

Comment

• imiceman44
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 25, 2006

Originally posted by LYNCHMOB
                              While we are on steering solutions, has anyone ever used a rack and pinion setup on there full size jeep? I don't know much about them, but my buddy asked if I had thought about it. Obviously I hadn't.
                              Thanks,
                              Ryan
                              I actually am still trying to figure out how I can make that work.
                              if you mount it on the axle to get perfect steering, you will need to figure out a collapsable flexible shaft to connect to the steering column so you can still flex it and steer.
                              with some borgesson ujoints and some kind of slip joint double D or square.
                              I can figure a setup if I know I can find the parts to do it.
                              IceMan

Comment

• Tad
                                • Nov 30, 2001

Is there any one out there that wished that they had just bought the kit instead of trying to peice everything together?
                                Not that I regret going full high-steer but I may take the wag back to cross-over so I can move the front axle forward without tie rod/drag link issues (see post in Off-Road section by Bob Barry).

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

Working...
                                X