• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zbethem
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2009

Dana 44 Axle Swap confirmation

happy new year everyone.. I saw an ad on craigslist. I think it's what I would need to swap out my Dana 44 closed-knuckle axle on my 1969 Gladiator J2000.

Here were the details:
    Dana 44 front axle out of a Dodge Ramcharger. It is complete hub-to-hub and has disc brakes, 5 lug, I believe it has 3:73s, and the pumkin is passenger side drop

From what I've seen, this is as close as one can get to a bolt-on swap.. correct?

Input is appreciated before I waste the guy's time. Thanks!
    -- Zack
    Oakland,CA
    '69 Jeep Gladiator 3spd Dauntless 350
    '67 Mercedes 200 Diesel Heckflosse (DD for now)
    '67 Triumph TR4a (originally dad's)
    '07 Audi A4 Avant 3.2fsi (last of the manual transmission wagons)
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

We have the Best front DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS in the USA for Jeep, Bronco, F100, K10, K5, Scout + Dodge W100. All of our front DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS have Specially Machined Calipers (metal removed) which means No Grinding on your Knuckles. So give us a ring here if you have questions about your project. Were here for you and stand behind what we sell. Any question is OK with us. Call anytime! Thanks, Dan

Check out the site. Go to the conversion GM 6 lug to 5 lug.
    This has been discussed recently. Do a search if you wish.
    Easiest thing is to use the Jeep front axle, but you will run into a problem as your front springs are post-mounted, whereas the later ones have the spring mounted under the axle. The post-mounted springs are mounted on top of the axle.
    I really don't know specs of the Dodge axle as to width and spring perch mounting.

Comment

• 44BZ
      304 AMC
      • Dec 10, 2009

I'm thinkin about this swap also. JoshD is the member that champions the Dodge 44 swap. I recall him stating previously that a Dana 44 from any 80s ramcharger or half ton pickup will work. Maybe he will chime in...
      Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• mattmopar440
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • May 17, 2007

I know I guy that swap a set of J20 axle's under his Ramcharger with no mods at all so the opposite should work as well
        87' Grand Wagoneer
        401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
        84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
        80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
        74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
        Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Inferior Chevy

Comment

• Josh D
          360 AMC
          • Jan 17, 2002

What year Ramcharger? Anything from the '80s should work. Pre '80s used a unit bearing setup that you don't want. Just make sure that it has the standard internal spline hub and spindle bearing set up and you're golden. It should look like this:

'71 J2000 Gladiator
          '95 YJ on Waggy axles
          '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Josh D
            360 AMC
            • Jan 17, 2002

BTW, although this is about as easy as it gets for a much better axle into the early post mount trucks, it is not bolt in. A wide track FSJ axle will require basically the same work to swap, plus having to swap parts to get 5 lug, unless swapping both front and rear. Here's a basic list of changes/mods that have to be done:

1. Spring perches welded on (2 inch wide)
            2. Shock mounts (I made some using channel and some universal shock studs)
            3. Swap gears from old axle to new to match rear
            4. Steering mechanicals (several ways to accomplish this. I used the tie rod and drag link from a '77 J-10. The Dodge used much smaller TRE's than FSJ's do, so I drilled and tapered the knuckles for the Jeep TRE's)
            5. Brake lines (I used some stainless braided Goodrich lines for a CJ that matched up to both the early hard lines and the short rubber lines on the Dodge.
            6. U-bolts (Dodge axle has nice 3" tubes like the later FSJ's)
            7. U-bolt spring plates (I used ScoutII, because I had some laying around. These can be easily fabbed)
            8. Disc/Drum master cylinder (My brakes were manual, so I used a disc/drum MC for a manual disc braked '78 CJ. It bolted right up!)
            9. Brake proportioning/combo valve (Used one from a '77 J-10)
            '71 J2000 Gladiator
            '95 YJ on Waggy axles
            '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
              258 I6
              • Nov 06, 2009

I think there is an article in jp magazine where they did what you are wanting to do.

Comment

• mattmopar440
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Josh D
                What year Ramcharger? Anything from the '80s should work
                Yes His was an 1986 I believe
                87' Grand Wagoneer
                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold