• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
    'tis always good to have happy ending
    Hey, let's not jump the gun yet :P Only halfway there!
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

Waited patiently for another box to come..came today with new set of hardware, oil seals, and brackets.

Not sure on the oil seals though...I sent him the correct part number National 415003 with links where to get it, he sent me National 415458. The 458's are noticably thinner. So..asking why.

Haven't cross referenced the part number yet to application, but will in a bit, or if someone is bored...

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

the 458 is noticeably thinner than the thick 003.

There is a noticeable difference- the OEM 003 has a metal backing at the oil lip seal, the other one is open rubber.

==================================

okay found both on Rockauto:
        003: Nitrile Seal, Shaft Size=2.625", Housing Bore=3.623, Outer Diameter=3.628, Width=0.468in
        458: Nitrile Seal, Shaft Size=2.625", Housing Bore=3.623, Outer Diameter=3.628, Width=0.375in

so the only difference is in the width. Should I just order the ones I need and say screw it at this point? Does the width matter?

I of course, sent the vendor this new predicament with the info above. Maybe his supplier screwed up, I dunno. I'm a patient dude. Really..I am.
        Last edited by Gambler68; 12-16-2010, 04:23 PM.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

i'd take the thicker one with the metal backing.

I'm a patient dude. Really..I am.
          it's true,i have parts here for him from months ago unsent,he hasn't even had the traditional ifsja style "RISTOW SUCKS" drama explosion thread or nuthin.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Ristow
            i'd take the thicker one with the metal backing.

it's true,i have parts here for him from months ago unsent,he hasn't even had the traditional ifsja style "RISTOW SUCKS" drama explosion thread or nuthin.
            Oh, just wait till I get workin the front axle :P I'm going to send a Strip-O-Gram girl wearing nothing but Little Debbie Snack cakes to your door.....and I ain't requesting the cute one this time...

Yeah, I want the correct seal for it. If I have to order them myself for 19 dollars for the pair I will, but offering to send the 2 sets now I have of wrong ones so he can get a refund and send me the right ones, hopefully.

Just always *my* luck things get messed up, I guess
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

and it'll take even more little debbies to cover up the corn-fed girl. i'm kinda excited now......

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

that was my thought exactly :P
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

LOL!

hey,come do my D44 on my GW next. the caliper will help keep my wheels under me. maybe i should lay off the little debbies...may have overloaded the axle bearing. it was the drivers side y'know.

Comment

• Gambler68
                    Rabble Rouser
                    • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Ristow
                    LOL!

hey,come do my D44 on my GW next. the caliper will help keep my wheels under me. maybe i should lay off the little debbies...may have overloaded the axle bearing. it was the drivers side y'know.
                    hmmm good point. No, my D44 is getting a high steer drag link and tie rod and tre kit. You need Flint to come fix your rear end, he's got practice at it
                    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Gambler68
                      You need Flint to come fix your rear end, he's got practice at it
                      <sigh> Experience tells me it is much easier to put new bearings and seals in them if the backing plate isn't ground to scrap. Hmmm, mine was a lefty too. <moon pie weakness>
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

I blame the gas tank...that's why I keep mine on empty all the time :P
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Vendors reply was that they are an updated design, and perhaps the thinner seal will be less leak prone. I dunno. When it warms up I'll try em out, or drop 20 clams and order the OEM ones if they don't work..seals on the FF D60 are stupidly easy to change, so it's not a huge issue.

Now time to get some studs and get on with this swap!
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Jeep madness
                            232 I6
                            • Jul 27, 2010

I went to Napa and they crossed the original National seal # to Napa part# 26238. $21.49 Each. Worked great.

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Jeep madness
                              I went to Napa and they crossed the original National seal # to Napa part# 26238. $21.49 Each. Worked great.
                              Mine came with National 003's installed: $9.72 cents each. The other ones sent are 7.50 or so each..from Rockauto.

ah I see yours..the difference is yours has the dirt lip that the 003's have, and the new ones do not.
                              Wheel Seal I.D. : 2.625"
                              Wheel Seal O.D. : 3.628"
                              Wheel Seal Width : .375"

looks like yours are the thin ones too. Well..I'll use the ones sent and get the right ones next time I think about it. I think you overpaid though going through napa..
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Jeep madness
                                232 I6
                                • Jul 27, 2010

Napa is the only place around here that could cross the #s for me. $47 was cheaper then driving to next town and taking all day to find new seals. Gas and time cost more then $20. And yes me rear hurt a lot when I walked out of the Napa store. But gunbi refunded me for the seals.

Now get on with the project!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X