• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin armstrong
    258 I6
    • Nov 06, 2009

I want to sand blast some stuff

Looking to buy a sand blaster to blast a frame and some axles ect. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? I have a 5.5 h.p. sears upright that I use for most stuff, but I also have a large verticle 2 stage 220 volt monster that came out of the local muffler shop when the new owner upgraded all the equipment. Although I dont really have a lot of money to spend currently, I would like to get something that would do whatever I wanted somewhat efficiently. Any advise? Thanks! Heck maybe I could blast other peoples stuff for a little profit. Economy is really at a standstill around here and with fuel prices on the rise, my hvac business is not likely to rebound soon.
  • Tigger4X
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 16, 2001

HF has a unit that'll get the job done for you no doubt. The upright might do they trick depending on how long you'll be blasting for, but the 220 unit would have a longer duty cycle. You'd probably need to refill your blaster's hopper before that compressor needs to take a rest.

My suggestion to you is to fab up a makeshift booth to contain the flying media from getting everywhere and into everything. I used plastic sheeting and a 2x2" rectangular frame suspended from my garage rafters and let the plastic hang down to the floor with some bricks holding them down real good. A fully enclosed mask or goggles and respirator to keep the flying fun out of your eyes, nose, and mouth is a must; a "hood" over your head will keep most of it out of your hair and ears. I went with the goggles and respirator with the hood over them and taped over the neck on mechanics overalls with the pockets taped up too to keep it out of unmentionable and uncomfortable places. I used the hospital type thick gloves from HF to keep my hands clean and the stuff from getting up my sleeves. It also made it easy to get them on and off as needed without having to tape them to my sleeves. Depending on the media you use you can sweep it up and "screen" out the junk and re-use the media. When the media is tired you'll know.
    Originally posted by will e
    Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
    Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
      258 I6
      • Nov 06, 2009

Thanks Tigger4x, I was planning on doing it outside because i live on a ranch and have no one to piss off nearby. Where do I get the blasting material? I dont plan on hitting any sheetmetal, being that I hear it will warp it in a hurry so probably a coarser material is what I would want I guess? Would the sand a Home Depot work?

Comment

• Tigger4X
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 16, 2001

Outside works good to I'd still use a "booth" to keep the junk out of the blast media or at least keep it contained so you can easily scoop it up to screen for re-use. Do you have a HF nearby? They sell good size bags of different types of media there. IIRC they have sand, walnut, soda, and something else. They might not have them all on hand in type or bulk size but you should be able to find out online or call them up to see. I dont know if HD's sand would work or not. If you can get a grit size it'd give you something to compare to what HF has. I do believe that HD sells construction grade and play sand so be sure you know which one is which. Too course and you could end up shooting through thinner stuff and it is possible to warp those spots that dont look it. But I'd imagine the course grit would give you some pretty good adhesion for paint.
        Originally posted by will e
        Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
        Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
          258 I6
          • Nov 06, 2009

Again, thanks for the info. There is a few Harbor Freights around here. I will check them out. One more question, how many gallon hopper does yours have? There is a tool shop on C.L. that has a 20 gallon on sale fo $179. Another question, how much (approximately) meida to blast a jeep frame? Thanks, Kevin

Comment

• Suddendeath
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 26, 2010

Originally posted by Kevin armstrong
            Again, thanks for the info. There is a few Harbor Freights around here. I will check them out. One more question, how many gallon hopper does yours have? There is a tool shop on C.L. that has a 20 gallon on sale fo $179. Another question, how much (approximately) meida to blast a jeep frame? Thanks, Kevin
            I use the cheap Harbor Freight "Spot Blaster" for my sandblasting. Works decent enough with Aluminum Oxide media. Cleaned up axles and all sorts of stuff with it.

Edit:

I also use a little Harbor Freight 10 gallon 2.5 HP compressor when using this tool. I've cleaned axles caked with 20 years of crap down to bare metal using this setup, never once complained. And the good thing about the aluminum oxide is you can re-use it if you spray in an enclosed area.
            Last edited by Suddendeath; 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM.
            1990 GW:
            Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
            10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• JAWs7227
              232 I6
              • Jul 02, 2009

I wouldn't mess with the Sears compressor, I have a 5.5 hp Craftsman upright(same as sears I'm sure), it'll strip paint and surface rust fine, but thicker stuff, like scaled, pitted rust and frame undercoating are beyond its means, use the 220v, you'll be glad you did.
              Jess

1976 J10, 360 2v, TH400, Q/T, 131"
              1979 CJ-5, 258 2v, 3-spd - Sold
              1992 XJ Laredo 2-Dr, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
              1992 YJ Islander, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
              1998 TJ Sahara, 4.0L, Auto - DD

Comment

• Rich88
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by JAWs7227
                I wouldn't mess with the Sears compressor, I have a 5.5 hp Craftsman upright(same as sears I'm sure), it'll strip paint and surface rust fine, but thicker stuff, like scaled, pitted rust and frame undercoating are beyond its means, use the 220v, you'll be glad you did.
                X2. And when blasting large objects its best to set up a frame with clear plastic to capture the blast medium for re-use. When the hopper is empty just use a previously cleaned-out shop vac to suck it up and pour back in for continued use.
                Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• KaiserMan
                  I got the Willys....
                  • Jun 21, 2005

Look for one of these used. Lindsey 200lb blaster.

They are great blasters for home use, and can easily hold up to light industrial work. I run one and love it.

Also, run the 220 compressor.
                  Thomas Russell
                  1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                  1971 Gladiator
                  J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                  1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
                    258 I6
                    • Nov 06, 2009

Ok Kaiserman, that looks like what I am looking for. Now what is it? Cant read the brand name. How many gallons is that thing? I have one of those carport frames that would work real good for making a booth on the asphalt in front of my shop to capture the media. I like buying used stuff, its good for the planet and the wallet.

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
                      258 I6
                      • Nov 06, 2009

Never mind I kinda gravitate towards the pics.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                        Lindsey 200lb blaster.
                        Should be able to get them for $200 or less depending on condition. Pretty sure they are still made so parts are available.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                        1971 Gladiator
                        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

Working...
                        X