• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Metal Twister
    350 Buick
    • Oct 20, 2008

Fuel tank locations and plumbing...

I received my 74 Cherokee with a coffin shaped gas tank in the back seat and what looks to be a after market tank possible factory option between the springs aft of the rear diff. The aux tank is in use and is a very slow filler. In the front upper corner of the aux tank there is a blocked off filler hole. My question is where does the coffin shaped tank go? And does it connect to the slow filling aux style tank through the above mentioned blocked off hole? Does it fill only when the aux tank is full and overflow into the main tank, or is there another plumbing option. I do have a toggle switch labeled main and aux so I'm guessing this might have been a factory option.

And finally.... are the aux tanks set up with a sending unit?

• telecomken
    232 I6
    • Nov 07, 2009

The coffin gas tank is a 21 gallon tank I think and it runs under the driver side of your chero. I'm not sure of the aux stuff, sounds like someone might have added that, but I guess it could have been an option. Wish I had it . The older they are the slower filling they are. I went to the junk yard and pulled a filler tube out of a newer dodge truck and fabbed it in. Let me know if you want to see some pics of it.
    THE OLD DOG
    1977 2 door Jeep Cherokee NT
    AMC 360 Edelbrock intake and carb, TFI upgrade
    Dana 44 3.54 WT axle up front
    Dana 44 3.54 NT axle in rear still looking for another WT
    4" Rusty's lift, Procomp AT 33x12.50,
    Procomp 98 Series Black wheels
    Sawzall cut rear fenders

Comment

• Metal Twister
      350 Buick
      • Oct 20, 2008

Originally posted by telecomken
      Twent to the junk yard and pulled a filler tube out of a newer dodge truck and fabbed it in. Let me know if you want to see some pics of it.
      What did the Dodge filler spout do for you? Is the slow filling inherent to the fsj or is it due to poor venting or my Micky Moused system?

If you have pics it would be a great help! Thanx for the help...

On a side note one of the locals is trying to off this... Its much like mine except mine is square not stop sign shaped. http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/inde...ic,2359.0.html
      Last edited by Metal Twister; 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• telecomken
        232 I6
        • Nov 07, 2009

My original on my 77 was a rubber tube, I replaced it with a metal one. I can tell you it helped out big time with the filling and also keeps gas from coming out of the tank when I'm vertical. If you notice it has the flap in there, and now the filler tube is all metal to the tank, not sure if yours has the rubber hose like mine did.

DSC00189.JPG

DSC00190.JPG
        THE OLD DOG
        1977 2 door Jeep Cherokee NT
        AMC 360 Edelbrock intake and carb, TFI upgrade
        Dana 44 3.54 WT axle up front
        Dana 44 3.54 NT axle in rear still looking for another WT
        4" Rusty's lift, Procomp AT 33x12.50,
        Procomp 98 Series Black wheels
        Sawzall cut rear fenders

Comment

Working...