X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Everything is still moving ahead. After a day of mind numbing research and a slam dunk education on metallurgy from a great company called SSAB, I have material on order for much less than I feared. Thermally stable and will remain flat and true to 300 degrees. The next type was good for 900 degrees. I did not need that one. I pick it up on Friday. It is a Swedish-Finnish company.
    SSAB, Swedish steel manufacturer of high-strength wear and structural steel. Hot and cold rolled, sheets, plates and coils, steel tubes and profiles, steel piles and more.

This wagoneer is truly "international" as the site suggests. The instrument cluster is from Istanbul Turkey, the washer pump from Cyprus, tailgate metal panels from the UK, front turn signal lenses from Switzerland, and now some help from a product developed from a Swedish and Finnish company.
    Pretty interesting. Well sort of....
    I am using a metal called strenx. I will keep working on the press stand.
    There is a lot to do..
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
    Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

You're looking for a base to mount those dies to and the assembly will be heated then pressed against the vinyl?

Seems to me you need a frame built out of maybe 2" square tubing which would have to be machined or built pretty flat??? And a mating surface just as flat to support the work.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by SJTD
        You're looking for a base to mount those dies to and the assembly will be heated then pressed against the vinyl?

Seems to me you need a frame built out of maybe 2" square tubing which would have to be machined or built pretty flat??? And a mating surface just as flat to support the work.
        LOL... There is 2 inch tubing mocked up on the shop floor as we speak. And yes the platform will be flat, smooth and sturdy. Since the press plates vary so much in size, the two arms with the clamps will pivot on bearings for movable arms and clamp position. If all goes well, I will finish both the stamps and press stand next week. I should be rearranging vinyl soon.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Nice small milestone today. I had some issues with the front door sill plates that has kept me from nailing this. A little head scratching is all it takes. I got it figured out and got all four done. I have a little edge work to do on the carpet but that is not a big deal.

Marking the lay out on a back door sill. I flattened a beat up one to get my corners and beads marked accurately.

The rear door. I am keeping the rib stamping low so the doors won't drag on them later with wear. I have seen that quite a bit.

These are a later version with the roll over the pinch weld. I have earlier ones that are just a flat sill with the beads in it that terminates at the pinch weld. I can now make either of them. This version is more difficult.

Drivers front with carpet out of the way. I will trim to fit here. The wire harness for the dome light is making it fit tight.

Passenger front.

Nice to have these done. I will be selling these also soon.

I also made a special floor pan for a friend here. He has a factory 73 super jeep and apparently they have a very rare floor pan over a factory T-98 4 speed. It is a CJ and he needed it for a jamboree that is in two weeks in the silver valley here in Idaho. I wish I could go but it is not in the cards.
          I told Bill (sadies owner) I would post a picture of it. I have been burning the candle at both ends lately.. I know my friend here needed it so I knocked it out for him.
          This is the guy helping me get the two 71 J4800 Camper specials. Of course I will post up when I get them.

I like pushing metal around.

More soon...
          Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM.
          Melford1972 says...
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Very nice job! On all the parts!
            1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks Bkilby...

Went to Spokane today and picked up the half sheet of tempered steel and a some metal for the press stand. I spent the rest of the day fabricating cutting and machining. I have a couple more parts to make, then 1 or 2 days left on the assembly. If I am lucky I will even get some paint on everything.
              Sure are a lot of quads, campers, boats, party barges and 4x4's getting towed on the hiways.
              I wish I were in on that scene. May later this summer...
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

I finished the press stand an hour ago. The last of the fabricated parts are painted and will be dry tomorrow. There was a lot of machining to make everything fit. It has been hard to get it done pulling double duty on stuff my wife usually does. Groceries, garden, cleaning etc. She got a terrible infection on her incision site. It was getting serious and nothing helped till we tried sunlight. The UV rays 20 minutes three times a day fixed it. It was a suggestion from someone and it worked. We were getting concerned. I will be glad when this is all over.
                So if I had my way, I would cover the wood with stainless for a super smooth flat surface. I am not sure if I will do that. I took great care to make the table top as flat as can be. I checked it with a 4 foot level and it is perfect.
                Here is the frame under it all.

The top side with the longest pattern frame cut out laying there. This is not the actual pattern stamp. Just the water jet remnants of the outer frame. But it works for size.

The arms pivot on sealed upper and lower bearings. I had a lot of the parts laying around in drawers. The tubes are machined on the ends to the outer diameter of the bearings, then exhaust tubing was welded on to capture the bearings. I also realized I needed a backstop to land the hot stamp quickly. The backstop will relocate anywhere on the table with a twist of the knobs.

The arms are slotted for a huge range of adjustment and the screw clamps will reach just about every part of the table. This is the upper rear door panel frame. I can position the screw clamps on any part of the stamp later. The backstop arms are high enough off the table to roll or fold excess vinyl while pressing lower patterns and not interfering with the upper area.

All that is left is to cut the tempered plate for the stamps. Dress the edges and epoxy on the water jetted patterns on. Let them cure for a couple days and give all this a try. I have managed to completely destroy my shop while building this stand.. Stuff everywhere... Time for a super clean.
                It has been raining off and on (more off than on) which is really needed this season. Hopefully I will get a break in the rain so I can cut the plates out. I have to do it outside. I am working on a new hot work area with a roof that I can do cutting and flammable stuff year round. It will have a gravel floor. I can't wait to have it done.
                It froze here last night. It will again tonight. I guess I had better go cover the garden stuff.

Happy Friday.
                Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 06-20-2019, 10:03 PM.
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• rws31
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 10, 2016

You are truly going above and beyond. That's a serious commitment when you start making your own tooling to make your own parts. That's gonna be a seriously great ride when you get it done.

The door sills look great. I'll be lucky to get mine cleaned up when it is time to put them back on. I just started to do a simple interior job and it blew up to all kind of stuff but it pales in comparison to what you are doing.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more.

So that's where I left my Milwaukee drill. I have had that little drill and the 3/8 ratchet to go with it for years and they are handy as can be. Couple months ago the ratchet head finally just slap wore out. I immediately bought another and fixed that one. They get used all day every day.
                  89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
                  1988 Ramcharger
                  1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
                  2003 Durango 4x4
                  1982 CJ7 4 banger
                  2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• chubbinius
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 31, 2018

Al, that is an amazing set up for the stamp plates. I admire how adjustable and flexible you have made the arms and backstop, very cool! Those sill plates look great, I'm going to have to start saving for all the great things you make, especially when you start stamping out the door panes!

Thank goodness UV helped Liz; hoping she continues to heal (sneak some extra snacks you like into the groceries when you go, haha!).
                    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                    -Dauntless 350 V8
                    -D27 front/D44 rear
                    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

[QUOTE (sneak some extra snacks you like into the groceries when you go, haha!).[/QUOTE]

I have been found out....

Thanks guys..
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by rws31

So that's where I left my Milwaukee drill. I have had that little drill and the 3/8 ratchet to go with it for years and they are handy as can be. Couple months ago the ratchet head finally just slap wore out. I immediately bought another and fixed that one. They get used all day every day.
                        I have not figured out two quotes in one post, so I will do another..

Yes those milwaukee drills are the go to tool. I also use it ALL the time. I had one and lost it and bought the one you see there. I ended up finding the lost one in the yard. I went through a 4 foot snow winter and wet thaw. It was seized and with a little work I got it running again. But it has been retired as a book end. I love these drills. They are amazingly strong.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Bill wanted to see this so I am posting progress here.
                          It was 37 degrees here last night. You never know here. We have had it freeze in August after an 85 degree day. It keeps you on your toes.
                          So after two full days of yard work and three absolutely mind numbing days of chemically stripping the mill scale off the stamps and their respective backing plates, I am ready for a quick sand and epoxy work to attach everything. It has actually been to cold to be ideal for epoxying the stamps down. So thats fine since I was not ready for glue yet. I made a muratic acid soaking reservoir to soak each piece. I had a few thunder storms come through so I covered it with plywood and ran for cover to keep the very welcome rain off till it passed. Realizing it was taking to long I built a second reservoir. I got everything down to bare metal this afternoon. Muratic acid is dangerous. It outgasses and fumes big time and can hurt you. I wore an acid apron, long acid gloves and a full face respirator. The suns warmth made the soak almost violent. Like a Yellowstone boiling mud pit. It was fun.

The soaking of two pieces. You can see the black mill scale. Eventually you could wipe it with a gloved finger and it would wipe clean to silver raw metal.

I neutralized everything with a generous soaking with sodium bicarb rinse water, then a fresh water rinse with a quick wipe and dry in the sun. As soon as the moisture was gone I did a fast wipe with must for rust for a protective coating to keep the flash rust from forming. It will preserve the metal till I can sand everything and get epoxy on it. I am a little concerned about light surface rust later on each stamp. I can't oil wipe it because of what it will do to the vinyl and I don't want to accidentally debond the epoxy later. I will figure it out.

Everything stripped and ready for clean up with a sander. These are the X model (lowers on the right side of the pic) and the uppers and lowers of Sadies standard door panels. The frames were not chemically cleaned. I only need them for aligning the stamp parts.

This is a rear door lower frame with the sanded embossing pieces in it. Perfect for getting it all straight when I epoxy them down.

After epoxy and placement, then that is when I remove the frame and this is what each stamp will look like.

I also made the rear rail stamps for the very back panels today. I will have a complete interior soon. I have a meeting in Spokane tomorrow. But I will be back at it asap. This is the very last manufacturing challenge for Sadie. I think I have it nailed.... IF it works that is.
                          Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 06-25-2019, 09:04 PM.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Nice! Very impressive. Even if it doesn't work, it looks great. Lol.
                            1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 25, 2016

all I can say about the ingenious work being done on this project is:
                              HOLY CRAP,.....

I think it is really DOC BROWN from back to the future working on this thing,

and they just will not admit it.

sitting beside Sadie there is probably a time machine that he is building
                              along side this project vehicle.

(shocked again at the brain power at work here.)

dave in NC
                              SOLSAKS - dave
                              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                              1982 J-10 Fleetside
                              1988 grand wagoneer
                              2004 RUBICON jeep
                              Benson, NC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Well Dave, I was not as productive back when I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day, so this is really keeping me sane and out of trouble. Not to mention the wonderful wife I now have. Thanks though... EDIT: sober 12 years now and beyond grateful for it. The jeep stuff keeps my cup full.
                                And Bkilby I just might have some interesting wall art for sale. Honestly I hope not... I am stoked on all this though.

So we had a little storm yesterday afternoon when I got home. No power all afternoon. Hard to work in that. So resuming today....
                                Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 06-28-2019, 10:26 AM.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X