• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armyfsj
    258 I6
    • Oct 08, 2006

Aussie Locker up front?

I have an 84 GW with the vacuum disconnect can i put an aussie locker in there without changing the axle?
    1979 Cherokee Chief
    5.3/TH400/BW1339
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Sure ya can. Look here for a couple ideas by searching on "vacuum lock"
    Who makes a set manual of locking axle hubs or conversion kit for a 1983 Cherokee with vacumn disconnect? I would like to do away with the vacumn on the front diff,I'm in the process of swopping out a np229 for a np208 now. Thanks,Scott
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• ne715
      350 Buick
      • Mar 16, 2006

Originally posted by armyfsj
      I have an 84 GW with the vacuum disconnect can i put an aussie locker in there without changing the axle?
      Have you checked with Aussie on availability? I had a h*ll of a time getting my hands on one. Seems everytime I called they were "supposed" to get some in "next week", this went on for several months. The kept putting my name on a list to be contacted, several times, finally fed up with this I spoke to owner and he was able to get one to me in about a week. I was thankful they could do this for me, but it sure seemed like a lot of trouble to actually get my hands on one. I'm very pleased with it, have it in my daily driver and no complaints with it's operation. Good luck.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
        All Makes Combined
        • Jun 30, 2003

can't really add much more but...

Man, I love mine. It really adds a whole new dimension to the truck. I guess I was lucky, because when I ordered mine I got it in about a week. Takes about a day to do if it's your first time.

I don't plan on doing really hardcore stuff with my Jeep, but I read a few reviews by people who do, and it seems the Aussie has held up just fine to abuse. Love it!
        Rob
        1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
        Click for video

Comment

• armyfsj
          258 I6
          • Oct 08, 2006

I read the instructions on the aussie site but dont exactly understand them without it in front of me, but what has to come out and apart to get this in there?
          1979 Cherokee Chief
          5.3/TH400/BW1339

Comment

• J10Mike
            Delightfully Incompetent
            • Jun 04, 2003

Originally posted by armyfsj
            I read the instructions on the aussie site but dont exactly understand them without it in front of me, but what has to come out and apart to get this in there?
            Supposedly, the Aussie can be installed without removing the carrier. However, I found that it was a bit too tight.
            I pulled the carrier and further pulled the ring gear off the carrier. The Aussie replaces the side and spider gears within the carrier.
            The good news is that you don't have to reset the gears.
            www.j10mike.com
            Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• BLiP
              232 I6
              • Sep 24, 2006

I ordered my aussie locker a few weeks ago and got it in with in a week of ordering it it was for a rear d44 I cant wait to install it looks pretty straight forward but I have my rear axle stripped apart already just havent tried to put it in yet
              81 Cherokee W/T T18 D20
              http://www.myspace.com/blipondarader
              Shallow Pockets Racing Team
              That Blowed up Real Good

Comment

• J10Mike
                Delightfully Incompetent
                • Jun 04, 2003

Originally posted by BLiP
                I ordered my aussie locker a few weeks ago and got it in with in a week of ordering it it was for a rear d44 I cant wait to install it looks pretty straight forward but I have my rear axle stripped apart already just havent tried to put it in yet
                You are going to love it. You just have to get used to the ratcheting sound when going around corners. Also be aware that idiots will aproach you almost every where you go to let you know you rear end is going out.
                Initially, I attempted to explain the ratcheting sound. After hearing it so many times, I just said "Thanks for letting me know".
                www.j10mike.com
                Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• BLiP
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 24, 2006

Hmm is the racheting noise that bad I am used to drivetrain noises my previous daily driver was a 1985 Mazda rx7 with NO interior what so ever and barely an exhuast
                  81 Cherokee W/T T18 D20
                  http://www.myspace.com/blipondarader
                  Shallow Pockets Racing Team
                  That Blowed up Real Good

Comment

• Casey
                    • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by J10Mike
                    Supposedly, the Aussie can be installed without removing the carrier. However, I found that it was a bit too tight.
                    I pulled the carrier and further pulled the ring gear off the carrier. The Aussie replaces the side and spider gears within the carrier.
                    The good news is that you don't have to reset the gears.
                    Don't believe it. You may get lucky with 2.73 gears. I doubt it. The problem isn't how to assemble the locker in the case, it's getting the cross shaft out of the carrier when still in the housing. I've had to remove the case out of most every locker of that type that I've installed. I've never actually installed an Aussie, but the Detroit E-Z and Lock Right are virtually the same.

IMHO the Lock Right is the best of the 'lunch box lockers'. I have a neighbor with a '77 Chero on 36" TSLs that just recently broke a Detroit E-Z. I wheeled my Chero much harder with a Lock Right and 37" TSLs without any problems.
                    1994 YJ
                    1986 Comanche
                    '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                    www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                    "Go forth and be a tool".
                    Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                    This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• elbastardo
                      327 Rambler
                      • Oct 04, 2005

I installed mine on my XJs 30 front with the carrier in place, it wasnt to bad. The clicking will die down, im running on about 3 years on mine now, and i was afraid that the lack of clicking would mean less locking, but thats not the case at all it still lockes every time i apply power. I cant speak for the other lunchbox lockers, but the aussies have yet to let me down. I have every intention on installing one on my front 60 W/40s, and when the detroit lets go on the 14bolt ill probably do the same.

Comment

• Casey
                        • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by elbastardo
                        and when the detroit lets go on the 14bolt ill probably do the same.
                        that'll be a coooold day.
                        1994 YJ
                        1986 Comanche
                        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                        "Go forth and be a tool".
                        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                        X