• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PostalJeepSS
    232 I6
    • Aug 16, 2003

What CB radio?

I'm looking for a CB radio for the wagon and just wanted to know what everyone here is using or recommends. Thanks. I've already got an antenna mounted and wires run BTW
    1974 Postal jeep, 383 chev, TH350, Dana 44, 12.9@108 <br />1977 Wagoneer, beaten 360, Quadra-trac 19.45@68 MPH<br />To the world you are just a lone fox.. but to a fox you are the world!<br />I build computers if you need one
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

&lt;-- has factory AMC AM/FM/CB for his J10

otherwise cobra is a good brand [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ September 18, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Stuka ]

Comment

• FSJ Thing
      Propane Protagonist
      • Aug 25, 2002

Just about everybody here has a favorite and there are alot of people on here who are Citizen Band enthusiasts who will help you get the right antanna and everything. My personal favorite is the Cobra LTD29, I like the way it works and the way it looks. It's super easy to tune and it's what my pop always had in his big rig. I really can't discourage any brand or style though, I like the Unidens that fit where your ashtray goes too. You don't have to drill or cut anything to install them and they look super clean. Pretty much, I'd say shop at an actual truck stop or dedicated CB store and pick one that you like the looks of, along with whatever antanna you like and some cable and let the experts here know and they'll let you know how to set it up to work he best. Simple advice for antanna, the bigger, the higher, the better. But you also have to admit that some of the 9' whips can look goofy to, so there's nothing wrong with a shorter steel or fiberglass whip either!

EDIT&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I forgot you already have the antanna and wires! Oops!

[ September 18, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Back to WagoThing ]
      The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• Mike D
        350 Buick
        • Jul 29, 2002

I run a IC-706MIIG

ITs not a cb,... but its a radio and more.

64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
        50 truck
        63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
        And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• mwww2000
          232 I6
          • Dec 24, 2002

Im using one of those little cobras just put it where the ashtray was
          82 wagonner ltd 33x12.5 tires<br />rebuilt 401<br />3 inch body lift<br />factory sunroof<br />vinyl roof

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Radio Shack CB's hold up awesome, never had one die on me and you should see what even my handheld 4w survived out on saltwater in an open boat.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

I used to run Cobra's faithfully, now I would not take a FREE one. UNIDEN PC76 XL is a nice radio. Uniden built the Cobra 29 for Cobra, then Cobra went elswhere to have the radio built, since then it has been the biggest pile of scrap out there. Uniden then introduced the PC 76 series shortly after. It is a tried and true chasis, good all around radio and usually around $120.00.
              Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
              Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Tigger
                232 I6
                • Jul 29, 2003

Originally posted by Stuka:
                has factory AMC AM/FM/CB for his J10
                &lt;------ Would love to find on of those

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Some $15 Radio Shack thing I picked up NIB on Ebay, Works fine for my needss.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                  Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• popeye44
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 19, 2003

UNIDEN PC78 XL's available on Ebay.. there is one thats less than 70.00 on bidding currently.. and a few that have buy it now for 102.00
                    coupled with a good tuned antenna and a linear for emergencies you probably can't beat uniden.
                    here's a link to a tips and tricks site.

CB TIPS AND TRICKS
                    good luck, I've used a small model uniden for years but have always wanted to move into the pc76/78 etc series.
                    MORPHADITE: 1974 360,HEI,t18a, Cherokee S

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

• 2ndtimearround
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 19, 2002

Originally posted by Mike D:
                      I run a IC-706MIIG

ITs not a cb,... but its a radio and more.

Me too, but an IC-706MI, the original. Nothing beats 100 Watts into a Screwdriver Antenna! Real Radio....

73 de VA3LGD

[ September 19, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: 2ndtimearround ]
                      Lawrence
                      • 92 YJ -- Mean Green Starter, 4x4 Posi-lok, Tuffy Overhead Console, 2 meter ham radio, CB, Borla Cat Back Exhaust
                      • 86 FSJ -- NOS Gas Tank Skid Plate, TFI Upgrade with Accel Super Coil

Comment

Originally posted by popeye44:
                        UNIDEN PC78 XL's available on Ebay.. there is one thats less than 70.00 on bidding currently.. and a few that have buy it now for 102.00
                        Very good radio! but be carefull not to pay to much with shipping ect. New at a local truck stop, about 120.00 gets it out the door
                        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                          304 AMC
                          • Aug 22, 2003

stuka- had one of those a long time ago, only reason its gone now was that it gave out. was one heck of a good cb unit compared to what was out then, especially for a combo unit!!
                          Have a cobra GTL 149 in semi, used to talk 25 miles during daylight, w/right atmospheric conditions got 250-300 some days, at night was almost unlimited not quite like ham radios tho. Nowadays, most anything is ok EXCEPT cobras, I agree they are junk now. a radio from radioshack is good and Uniden puts out the better of them all anymore, didn't used to years ago, but hey I'm an old guy, had them in trucks way before they became popular. remember when the gov. wanted you to pay $5 for a license to use a cb? showing my age huh?
                          "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                          Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                          Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• Rande
                            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                            • Jun 26, 2000

Uniden used to make a lot of the older radios regardless of whose name was on the front. There were 3 main manufacturers: Uniden, Cybernet, and Maxon. Uniden and Cybernet made AM and Sideband radios and Maxon just made AM radios. If it says J.C.Penny, Midland, Royce, Radio Shack, President, Cobra, Teaberry, Craig, SBE, Kris, Browning, etc...those 3 manufacturers made most of them. There were some other Indonesian, Korean etc makers but they didn't amount to much back in the day.

Cobras are being made in China now and are junk. Stay away. Most of the Radio Shack radios are made in Korea and are mostly good radios. The whole field has changed in the last 10 years and its difficult to know who is building what radio these days.

Look for a radio with an RF Gain control. It comes in handy under noisy atmospheric conditions when you are part of a trail group. ANL (automatic noise limiting) is also useful, as is a noise blanker (NB). Not all bells and whistles are worth the expense but those features are.

The older Radio Shack radios have a feature labelled "Monitor". It lets you shift the recieve audio from the built-in speaker to an external speaker with the flick of a switch. Most radios (if not all) have a jack in the back for an external speaker but that is for a better speaker for the inside of the vehicle. If you run an external speaker behind your grille and just plug it into that jack, all your audio will go out there all the time. The Radio Shack feature lets you switch from inside to outside as you need. I've always like that.

You may also consider a Sideband radio.
                            N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                            1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                            1966 Mustang
                            1937 IH D2

Comment

• MACKCOOK
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 31, 2002

got the wife and i a couple of those midland convertable handhelds, has a battery pack that slides on and off and a attachment that connects to the antenna on back, all fits in your hand, easy to hide and remove, after that i would get one of them ranger or president or uniden and a helper box like my dad had in his big truck when he was on the road--- when people started talking trash he made-em listen to his oldies for awhile or change channels-- several channels

Comment

Working...
                              X