• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsj1979
    258 I6
    • Mar 08, 2011

Originally posted by joe
    Sounds to me you're overcharging and cooking the battery. It just took two weeks to kill the new battery. It'll take a charge but now won't hold it after you ruined it by overcharging.
    Overcharging?......with 13 volts? NOT likely. Every vehicle I own puts out between 13.8-14.3 volts. A good battery will hold a steady 12.5 with no charge at all. A flat 13 volts is really a very poor charge. I suspect the voltage regulator in the alt. is bad. At certain rpm's you may not be getting a charge at all.
    Last edited by fsj1979; 02-23-2012, 07:24 AM.
    Jeff

1979 Cherokee Chief
    2003 GM 5.3 liter Vortec
    4L60E/ NP 241c/ Dana 44's/ 33" BFG KM2 muds/ 4" lift

My 5.3 swap: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=140105
    Makin' her purdy: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=140286
    Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM

Just keep rubbin' money on it till it shines.

Comment

13vdc isn't enough to fully charge the battery. First thing I would do is see if it's the wiring between the alt and battery causing the problem (very often the ammeter is the culprit) by putting a jumper lead from the alt main terminal to the battery + and recheck voltage.
      How old are the belts? They can be tight but worn too skinny to grab the sides of the grooves (which is why serpentine belt system is superior). They can actually drop down the groove till the bottom of the belt slides on the pulley.
      Is there a ground wire from the battery negative to the body? Without that, the headlights will draw away power from the alt's field plus the lights, heater fan, and wipers and it's even worse. Everything works slower, harder and heats up till they fail.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mdcptman
        Jeep Therapist
        • Apr 09, 2010

I agree, 13v is too low. Should be 14.5
        Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
        Edelbrock 2131
        Holley 600
        Hydroboost
        Hedman headers
        Dual exhaust
        MSD6A, TFI
        Digital Gauges
        Rusty's 2" Lift
        31x10.5 15LT15s
        Quote From Friend's Mom:
        "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• The Colonel
          360 AMC
          • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by mdcptman
          I agree, 13v is too low. Should be 14.5
          14.5V???? Good luck finding that on one of these rigs....in stock form anyway.

Comment

Mine ran between 13.9 and 14.5 after I bypassed the ammeter and added a fresh battery to body ground.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
            X