• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HAARubicon
    232 I6
    • Dec 02, 2010

Dash Pad repair

Well I guess since this falls under the restoration category, this is where I need to post this.

I am getting ready to tidy up the 89 grand wag, (my winter/spring 2016 project), and I need some help with this troublesome dash pad.

The passenger side where it turns down and the outside edge is delaminated from its metal support and attachment hardware. Is there a known good fix for this (I have seen others with the exact same issue) or am I just stuck with it. The pad is in great shape other than this one area.

If it can be fixed, but I have to remove the dash pad, I will need a good explanation of removing the dash pad, my research is mostly for older models and they are not trying to save it, just remove it.

• twmattox
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2003

There are a handful of nuts on the underside that are hard to reach. You will have to remove you radio / HVAC control to reach the ones on the passenger side. You have to remove the speedo cluster to reach the ones on the driver side.

And, there are 3 larger bolts up by the windshield. Generally hidden under the rubber gasket.
    '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
    '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
    '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
    '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• jeepman1
      258 I6
      • Jul 22, 2015

dash pad

Is this about the same for an 83 Jtruck..?
      : 98 9er
      '83 Honcho j10
      '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
      '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

The '84 has six bolts under the windshield gasket that go through the vinyl. I doubt the later ones are different.

Hard to get to with the windshield in place to remove. They would be VERY difficult to reinstall.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• HAARubicon
          232 I6
          • Dec 02, 2010

Thanks for the feedback. This particular GW is in fairly nice shape and is currently not a candidate for a full restoration, so I was hoping there was a fix without having to disassemble the dash or remove glass.

Comment

• Pavementsux91XJ
            232 I6
            • Nov 19, 2009

I don't know any quick fixes. I just took mine to just dashes in southern California. Really nice guys but they are expensive ($850 for black $950 for color match) and they have a really long lead time. I dropped mine off April 1st and expected delivery is the first week of June. I'm planning on posting up with a workmanship review in the pris section when I get it back.
            Trail Rig: 1991 XJ on 3/4 tons and 38's
            Tow Rig: 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4

And the only one anybody here cares about:

Huntin Rig/ Mild Trail Rig: 1973(must be late because it has all 74 parts) Jeep J10, 360/t18/d20. 3" lift on 33's. Runnin Great! Awaiting body work and flatbed!

Comment

• 408wij
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 19, 2014

Originally posted by HAARubicon
              Thanks for the feedback. This particular GW is in fairly nice shape and is currently not a candidate for a full restoration, so I was hoping there was a fix without having to disassemble the dash or remove glass.
              I'm in the same boat with my new GW. I also have tears on the top of the dash pad. What I'm thinking of doing is brute-forcing with screws and glue the loose corner, then recovering the mat to cover the tears and brute-force fix.

Comment

Working...
              X