• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Need pic of pre '73 fuel tank mount

If you don't know already my truck is a '72 J4000. I just got it back from the body man who lives 70 miles away. I had him do the rust repairs but he refused to put the gas tank back in. I had the truck trucked back home and started looking at everything I still need to do and discovered that I can't reinstall the fuel tank because whatever the fuel tank strap bolted to is now missing

So now I need to figure out how to fab up and install something that will secure the fuel tank back in. Can anybody get me a picture of whatever mounts there are for the fuel tank?

Thank you
    Last edited by Crankyolman; 10-14-2019, 12:33 PM.
    '72 J4500
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Crankyolman
    If you don't know already my truck is a '72 J400. I just got it back from the body man who lives 70 miles away. I had him do the rust repairs but he refused to put the gas tank back in. I had the truck trucked back home and started looking at everything I still need to do and discovered that I can't reinstall the fuel tank because whatever the fuel tank strap bolted to is now missing

So now I need to figure out how to fab up and install something that will secure the fuel tank back in. Can anybody get me a picture of whatever mounts there are for the fuel tank?

Thank you
    Can't look at it from here, but the drawings in the '62-73 J-series parts book may help you. http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by tgreese
      Can't look at it from here, but the drawings in the '62-73 J-series parts book may help you. http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

I looked through that and all I see is it calling for a bolt but can't find what the bolt goes through. The guy that did the work on the truck said all it had was two bolts badly welded to the bottom side of the bed floor and he figured I could come up with something better. It would have been nice if he had told me this before he sent the truck back. He also said the scraps have already been hauled away so I can't see for myself what was there or get any kind of measurement for locating whatever I come up with
      '72 J4500

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Can't you just hold the tank/straps in place and mark where you need to weld in some new mounts?

Maybe fab up some small little "boxes" with a bolt welded thru center then spot weld them to bed floor?
        Or make a bracket for some sort of frame mount.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by babywag
          Can't you just hold the tank/straps in place and mark where you need to weld in some new mounts?

Maybe fab up some small little "boxes" with a bolt welded thru center then spot weld them to bed floor?
          Or make a bracket for some sort of frame mount.
          That's the route I'm thinking right now, bend up a couple of brackets, weld some bolts to them, figure out where the tank mounts then weld them in place. I guess there really isn't much other choice.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Pretty freakin' lame the guy didn't do it for you?
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by babywag
              Pretty freakin' lame the guy didn't do it for you?

I know! The work wasn't cheap either. There are some other issues I have as well, like not even priming the underside of the bed. I have pictures over on my prissy thread. I'm just glad it's home even though I have to do a lot more work than I was supposed to and I now have to buy a welder, but the garage is now clean and as soon as the truck goes out the wife's Mercedes goes in and she can start taking it apart to get it going.
              '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
              X